Batter for Egg Rolls

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
I found it! Here you go - battered egg rolls are a nice change from the wrapped ones:

2 c. sifted flour
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp salt
1 beaten egg (room temperature)
1 tsp sugar
2 c water (warm, not to a boil)

Sift dry ingredients together then add eggs and sugar. Gradually add to the water and mix until a thin smooth batter is formed. Grease a 6 inch skilled with either peanut or soybean oil. Add approx 4 Tbsp of the batter and swirl around the pan until surface is coated. Cook over low heat until the edges pull away from the sides. Remove and cool before adding your filling. You can dip them again in the batter before deep frying until golden brown

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
OMG, this sounds dynamite!!! Like a crepe almost, right? Ooooh, I can't wait to try this. Thanks, rickismom!

BTW, I was googling battered eggrolls and apparently lots of people have been searching for a place to get eggrolls like these. They were referring to them as New York style Eggrolls.

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
OMG, this sounds dynamite!!! Like a crepe almost, right? Ooooh, I can't wait to try this. Thanks, rickismom!

BTW, I was googling battered eggrolls and apparently lots of people have been searching for a place to get eggrolls like these. They were referring to them as New York style Eggrolls.

Hmmm, I've never heard them called that before. When I was in a kid in the 60's and 70's battered egg rolls were the only kind ever made around here :blush: