What's cooking NCT Sunday 9/30/12 - Saturday 10/6/12?

Embryodad

Jimmy, I was walking in water on the bathroom floor, not a lot.. just enough to notice.
Turns out the seal (the ring) under the john needed replaced.
Thank the Lord I know a plumber personally from church.
He came right over and fixed it lickety split.. but had to put up with Gretchen wanting to investigate while he was doing it.
Had to put her in her kennel cab.
I think he was kind in what he charged.
$120 total.
That's good, right?
120 bucks is about right.

It's amazing how the darn toilet works fine for years and years, and all of a sudden.... Wipe Out!...

Today, the drainage seals for comodes are much better than the old standard Wax Ring Seal.
The trick... is to be 100% sure, that the tolet sits firmly on the floor flange.
If the toilet rocks just a little, you can rest asure that it will leak somewhat in the future.

Leni

I made a classic German dish that my German Dad always made. Country ribs browned until almost burned. Added a jar of good sauerkraut with the liquid and carway seed to taste. No need to add salt because of the sauerkraut. Add freshly ground black pepper. Simmer until the meat falls off the bones. Boil potatoes in the liquid and serve with apple sauce. Then it is whatever green veggie sounds good. I chose broccoli. You did not want to be around us the next day.

I've seen recipes that call for onion and apples with the ribs but Daddy never did it that way.

Embryodad

I'm sorry to have gone a little overboard.

Uncle Tony "The Plumber" ( my avatar ) made me say it!

> Sorry if it offended anybody <

Embryodad

I made a classic German dish that my German Dad always made. Country ribs browned until almost burned. Added a jar of good sauerkraut with the liquid and carway seed to taste. No need to add salt because of the sauerkraut. Add freshly ground black pepper. Simmer until the meat falls off the bones. Boil potatoes in the liquid and serve with apple sauce. Then it is whatever green veggie sounds good. I chose broccoli. You did not want to be around us the next day.

I've seen recipes that call for onion and apples with the ribs but Daddy never did it that way.
Sounds Great Leni

Tina makes it like that with country Style Ribs.
She takes out hers and adds the caraway to mine. I love the flavor, and she doesn't. So right about the saurkraut having enough salt.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I'm sorry to have gone a little overboard.

Uncle Tony "The Plumber" ( my avatar ) made me say it!

> Sorry if it offended anybody <
I don't have a problem either, as long as nothing gets on my plate.:sorry:

Sass, $120 is a fair price. Probably has a reasonable service charge, was there an hour or less, and had about $8 in parts (pair of new floor bolts and a wax seal with flange). I charge a minimum $100 for the same job. Includes my service charge.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I don't have a problem either, as long as nothing gets on my plate.:sorry:

Sass, $120 is a fair price. Probably has a reasonable service charge, was there an hour or less, and had about $8 in parts (pair of new floor bolts and a wax seal with flange). I charge a minimum $100 for the same job. Includes my service charge.
Yup, only he didn't put a wax seal in, it was something different that is supposed to be new and not leak.
He ran down to Ace Hardware to get it for me because he said it'd be better.
Nice guy is that Brian.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
"Hey Jimmy. Guess what I'm making today???"

Attachments

• Puree Stack 100312.jpg
    Puree Stack 100312.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 136

Embryodad

"Hey Jimmy. Guess what I'm making today???"
Definetely not tomato soup with the tomatoes, and by the way, Red Pack is a good choice. LOL

I would love to be the bread dunker in that big pot of sauce, but I understand, only the chief cook gets to do that to test the taste.

One added note here (if I May? ) This should go on the Disaster in the kitchen thread,......but guess what?

A friend of mine put a big pot of sauce (Really Big ) on the stove one saturday; his wife peeled the garlic, and helped him roll / fry / and put the meatballs in the sauce to cook. His Mom (Italian ) was coming to visit the next day so he figured mama would love to see her son made such a great sauce.

I've had it before, and it was to knock yer socks off great!

Well, it was saturday, and the pot was on cooking slow on low, so they went outside to rake leaves.
Three hours of intense work and all done; rakes put away; time to go inside and taste the sauce. ErrrrrrrK ErrrrrK ErrrrrrK ..... the house smoke detector goes off.... WTH....????/ ... The bottom of the sauce Burned Crisp Black.
The sauce smelled like rusty chains soaking in kerosene.
He and his wife were playing the Blame Game blaming each other for not stirring the sauce as it cooked.

He tried to salvage the top portion of sauce, but it was too late.
There they were, off to the store to get ground beef and pork, and were up till 1am cooking a new batch of sauce.

For Christmas, I got him a present of one of those metal Heat Diffusers to put under the pot.
I always use one. Especially now that I could be watching tv, and "Bonk"...fall asleep. LOL

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Beautiful dinners! I'm gonna have to make pizza soon. That looked amazing Joe!

We're having Ribeye steaks, baked potatoes and salad tonight.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Jimmy, I had one pot of sauce go South on me from lack of attention, and once it starts to burn, the whole pot is done. Nothing will get out that nasty taste. Since then I only make sauce when one or both of us will be home to frequently stir the sauce for the 4-6 hours it takes to make sauce the consistency we like...thick with no water leeching out onto the plate. It's a huge commitment, but anyone who has enjoyed slow cooked sauce will tell you, it's worth the time.

Embryodad

Jimmy, I had one pot of sauce go South on me from lack of attention, and once it starts to burn, the whole pot is done. Nothing will get out that nasty taste. Since then I only make sauce when one or both of us will be home to frequently stir the sauce for the 4-6 hours it takes to make sauce the consistency we like...thick with no water leeching out onto the plate. It's a huge commitment, but anyone who has enjoyed slow cooked sauce will tell you, it's worth the time.
Joe, that's exactly the way we make the sauce. Minimum 4 hours.

I don't know if you ever used a Heat Diffuser, but it will lengthen the stirs to 45 to 50 minutes safetly. Even on a smaller pot / batch.

I don't know if you've ever seen one. If not I can find the show and tell to show you. They even work on my high output burners. (Gas).

I've never seen one till Tina bought one maybe 15 years ago. Geepers, where the heck did that time go???

Embryodad

Joe! ... here is the link to the two I picked up lately. Excellent!

The handle comes off to acommodate a larger pot.

The ones with the wooden handle are junk. The handle catches fire too

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Harold-Import-99134-Diffuser-Rangetop/dp/B000HM9ZSY/ref=sr_1_6?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1349301344&sr=1-6&keywords=heat+diffuser[/ame]

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
We use a diffuser here as well. Thing is so old the wooden handle is missing but it does save food from scorching. It wasn't under the macaroni pot the other week.:oops:Took me 2 tries to get that pot cleaned up and usable again. I rarely burn things but I always get to clean up the mess!:whistling:

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Here's the 'sghetti. It was gooooooooood! Just turned off the sauce...7 hours and I'm finally happy with the water content.

Spaghetti100312-1_Snapseed.jpg

Embryodad

Here's the 'sghetti. It was gooooooooood! Just turned off the sauce...7 hours and I'm finally happy with the water content.

Spaghetti100312-1_Snapseed.jpg
Looks NOT Watery Joe! ..... Perfect!

there are food varieties that call for a different sauce, and like a sauce with muscles, clams, and scallops for instance, I like a juicy sauce. Not water color, but red and soupy. A good bread soaker. LOL

Embryodad

Pork Ribs with Mad Hunky General Purpose Rub.....and cooked in oven at 250ºF for Four and a half Hours!

I also made macaroni salad to go with it. It was perfectly delicious.

RIBS002_zps83e67b52.jpg

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Nice sketti's Joe, and Jimmy.. yum on the ribs and mac salad.

I had a shredded beef sandwich and potato soup at work.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Oh and someone suggested I put a packet of mayo on the beef sandwich.
What?
Yep, it was delicious! lol

Embryodad

Nice sketti's Joe, and Jimmy.. yum on the ribs and mac salad.

I had a shredded beef sandwich and potato soup at work.
Thanks Sass...

I took the picture but the lighting wasn't enough to show the nice dark maroon like color of the ribs.

Shredded beef sounds great. Ummmm!!

I had like a little snack of dried chipped beef...about 6 slices 4"x 2" and put that on thin sliced Italian bread loaf with mustard. OMG...It was almost like Pastrami.
Tina made her chipped beef and the white gravy on toast. I just ate it as a sandwich. No white gravy.
A small sandwich.

Embryodad

Oh and someone suggested I put a packet of mayo on the beef sandwich.
What?
Yep, it was delicious! lol
Oh! Yes to the mayo! I also sometimes put a thin razor thin slice of onion. Not too much, but just a hint of onion.

I can't figure out WHY I am so hungry!...gee I wonder why??

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter
8052794257_b5ca302cbc_b.jpg

My adaptation of Beef Bourguignon. . . NO Mushrooms, didn't have Pearl Onions so I caramelized my own Maui Sweets . I used Diced Tomatoes for some richness and filler, while everything stewed down. 1 Bottle of Cardinal Zinfandel, almost a quart of beef stock, dredged beet(Sirloin tips), all over Redskin Mashed Potatoes.

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
Taco salad with venison burger and some of the last tomatoes and peppers from the garden. White corn tortilla chips with lots of shredded cheddar and a chunky salsa on top.

Attachments

• leaves 008.jpg
    leaves 008.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 190

Embryodad

This is messed up.... The photobucket changed to a new system...Grrrrrr!!!

OK The bottom of the pot of Baked Ziti... I've been digging at the ziti a little at the time. They are almost exhausted..

ziti001_zps46a50084.jpg

Tina baked one of those Marie Calledar Apple Pies... It needs NO Words to describe the Taste or smell!
mad.gif

BTW... There is a new invention. It's called aluminum foil to place on the top of a pie when you bake in a toaster oven. HELLOOoooooooooooooo!
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
PS: also you don't lay on the couch and fall asleep and awake to the smoke detector going into alarm...
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

ZITIBURNEDPIE002_zps1e73aac9.jpg

Embryodad

Taco salad with venison burger and some of the last tomatoes and peppers from the garden. White corn tortilla chips with lots of shredded cheddar and a chunky salsa on top.
Wher's the Bread??

Looks good M Man.

BTW Which Mountain are you on?

I'm on the Bottom off Mountain Avenue. At the bottom of the mountain.

Actually..it's more like a hill in my book.