Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Kris Kristofferson & Sheryl Crow - "Me and Bobby McGee"

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKJ-49RbIjA[/ame]

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
He is brilliant. So talented. Happy Birthday, and thank for all the great songs.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Kris Kristofferson & Sheryl Crow - "Me and Bobby McGee"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKJ-49RbIjA

You certainly know your music. I was wondering why you added the Me and Bobby McGee on a happy birthday thread for Kris Kristofferson, so I had to go read.

Turns out he wrote/co-wrote the original song, which is a big surprise to me. Is the Bobby McGee in the song a male, which I always thought based on Janis Joplin's version, or is Bobby McGee really a female named Bobbie McKee????

Interesting :ermm:

Anyway, happy birthday to Kris!

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
My memories are of Roger Miller and Janis Joplin. It works with either gender. I don’t know what he intended originally.

Maybe Lucky has an idea. He’s the music historian. I just have a bunch of disjointed memories :)

Kris recorded it several times. My favorite was with Cheryl Crow.

Jim

Last edited:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I've always liked this one from A Star Is Born.

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r6Jb2CA_xx8[/ame]

Cooksie

Site Supporter
You certainly know your music. I was wondering why you added the Me and Bobby McGee on a happy birthday thread for Kris Kristofferson, so I had to go read.

Turns out he wrote/co-wrote the original song, which is a big surprise to me. Is the Bobby McGee in the song a male, which I always thought based on Janis Joplin's version, or is Bobby McGee really a female named Bobbie McKee????

Interesting :ermm:

Anyway, happy birthday to Kris!

I had to do some more reading. The story goes like this: The co-writer of the song had a crush on Bobbie McKee and gave the idea of Me and Bobbie McKee to Kris. Kris misunderstood the McKee part and wrote Me and Bobby McGee. I saw a video of the co-writer and Bobbie (really Barbara) McKee. I would say it's true.

You're right, Jim, about it being gender neutral. Gordon Lightfoot sings it as B. McGee being a female. I know Janis Joplin sang it as B. McGee being male. I was surprised to see how many other artists have also recorded it.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
I had to do some more reading. The story goes like this: The co-writer of the song had a crush on Bobbie McKee and gave the idea of Me and Bobbie McKee to Kris. Kris misunderstood the McKee part and wrote Me and Bobby McGee. I saw a video of the co-writer and Bobbie (really Barbara) McKee. I would say it's true.

You're right, Jim, about it being gender neutral. Gordon Lightfoot sings it as B. McGee being a female. I know Janis Joplin sang it as B. McGee being male. I was surprised to see how many other artists have also recorded it.

Thanks for the research!