web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Re: What are you baking today?

Got the sponge going for a whole wheat baguette which we'll have with lentil & sausage soup for dinner. Then made a batch of Sass' addictive cheese balls which we'll take over to our neighbors this afternoon. And for Christmas breakfast, my homemade raisins and chopped dried fruit are soaking in brandy for the whole wheat stollen muffins.
We need pictures, Green Jeans. Pictures, pictures, pictures.

Damn fine job, Warren. DW asked me when I was going to build one of those ovens. I told her when I hit the Lottery and have nothing but time on my hands. Not to mention that I would need a $3,000 mixer to make batches of dough that big.

Time to get the cookies & milk ready for Santa.

dansdiamond

Food Sound Eng.
Gold Site Supporter

DW made a bunch of these Banana Bread loafs up for the neighbors.
Yum,
012-1.jpg

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

It's Sunday and I felt the need to play in the kitchen. Honey whole wheat and Italian loaves. One loaf of Italian came out of the oven and right into a paper bag to take to DD's Realtor who came out today to show her and SIL a couple of house. She really appreciated the bread and could hardly wait to get home and cut into it.

P1020363.jpg

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter

You're pretty damn good at slicing that bread Joe... That's not so easy with a soft crust..

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

You're pretty damn good at slicing that bread Joe... That's not so easy with a soft crust..
It's really easy when you use an electric fillet knife. Our regular electric knife died early after only 28 years of service, so I scrubbed up the electric fillet knife that I clean fish with, and found that the blade is better than the old kitchen model. I'll post a picture of the blade when i get some time.

Here, I made some time...

P1020367.jpg

P1020369.jpg

Last edited:

suziquzie

Here they are! Very good, probably wont buy them again! Just need to work on shaping a little more. :blush:

Attachments

• IMG_3168.jpg
    IMG_3168.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 120

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

Awesome job, Suzie. I've been looking at cutters for Kaiser rolls just because they are such a pain to shape. Yours came out a whole lot better than mine. In spite of doing the folds and punch down in the center, mine had virtually no definition of segmentation. I later learned that was because my dough was too soft and everything blended together during the second rise. The dough for Kaisers needs to be a bit on the dry side to hold their shape. Most recipes I've seen are around 53-56% hydration, which is fairly low. I like my doughs in the 58-63% range so it is supple and gets a nice rise, but at that level the dough all combines and you lose definition. Kind of a catch 22.

suziquzie

the dough for this was pretty soft..... but shaping them takes soo much time the pieces dry out a bit sitting on the counter waiting thier turn..... I think that helped actually, because the later ones that sat out longer held thier shape better than the beginning ones....

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

We are headed to my brother's house for dinner, and his DW said it was ok to bring bread (she's a scrawny vegetarian/vegan, as the mood suits her), so this is for the other 16 people who will eat pork & sauerkraut and their trimmings. You NEED to have something to sop up the gravy with.

P1020376.jpg

I also received these three guys from the UPS man yesterday. Now I'll really be able to do some production baking for events, with a total of 6 sheet pans. I bought them from TigerChef.com.

P1020374.jpg

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter

Those loaves are beautiful, Joe! (I know it's probably a dumb question, but how did you get that shape on the loaves?)

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter

Made some wild rice and onion bread today. It is based on a Peter Reinhart recipe that I adapted over to a no-knead formula ( Recipe Here ) with a couple of my own twists. It's a wet dough that's a little difficult to work with, but if you use a bench knife to maneuver it on the work table, it doesn't go too bad. The work is worth it as it has a terrific taste.

Sorry about the poor pictures. Guess I was still recovering ;)

Attachments

• P1040806.JPG
    P1040806.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 177
  • P1040800.JPG
    P1040800.JPG
    142.4 KB · Views: 176

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Un, that bread looks FANTASTIC!

And the tutorial and photos .... excellent!

Lee

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

Those loaves are beautiful, Joe! (I know it's probably a dumb question, but how did you get that shape on the loaves?)
Actually, it's an excellent question. I stumbled upon the Epi loaf on this website, and have been having fun making them as a presentation loaf for dinners we get invited to. Once you look at their tutorial, you'll see it's fun and easy. I take my French Bread recipe and split the dough into 4 portions to make 4 baguettes. You can use any bread dough to make these, but the French formula and Italian formulas are traditional. Also, put on your egg wash or saltwater wash and toppings like poppyseeds, sesame seeds of sea salt BEFORE making the cuts. It makes for a very attractive loaf.

Last edited:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter

That is so clever, Joe!!! I love it! I'm going to try this - probably tomorrow. It looks like it is just made for people to pull off a hunk of warm bread.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

That is so clever, Joe!!! I love it! I'm going to try this - probably tomorrow. It looks like it is just made for people to pull off a hunk of warm bread.
Exactly! And that's what happened when I brought them to my brother's house. As soon as they were on the counter, pieces were being torn off and I heard some ask "Where's the butter?" The rest is history, because all 4 loaves were eaten by teh time we left. After dinner, folks kept tearing off a piece at a time and eating it like snack food.

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter

Made Norm's onion rolls today. My adapted recipe can be found HERE . I made mine in a Thermomix, but you can use a regular mixer, or maybe a food processor. Norm's original recipe can be found on TheFreshLoaf HERE .

Attachments

• P1040837.JPG
    P1040837.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 163

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter

i have dough rising for sausage bread and if there is enough dough maybe a pizza.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter

Homemade Sausage bread and Pizza

sausage_bread_010410_1_P1050062.JPG

sausage_bread_010410_2_P1050069.JPG

pizza_010410_P1050076.JPG

pizza_sausage_bread_010410_P1050070.JPG

Last edited:
Y

YT2095

I`ll probably be making Strawberry shortbread (it`s my own version) in the moro, as it`s Snowing here now and it looks like my daughter may have a "Snow Day" in the morning so she`ll not be going to sK0oL by the looks of it, and we have to listen to the wireless at 6:45Am to find out, but I`m pretty certain it`ll be a No-Go (I hope).

homecook

I baked two loaves of zucchini bread for my son.......

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 127
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 140

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

Just some more boring Italian bread. Boring, but delicious!:yum: