Okay, now I'm officially crazy...

The Tourist

Banned
My wife and I receive packages everyday, and stacks of mail. I usually get home first and sort out the mess. Lots of times we get checks from clients, and then both my wife and I get to eat meat...

As I'm flipping through the envelopes, I spot a check from a client. Now I can throw out that big box of leaves and corncobs in the bathroom.

As I start the laundry, I begin to open the envelopes, and the check is gone. First thing, check the dogs' mouths. Do laugh, it happened before.

Failing that, I check the floor, the truck, I even dip my hand into the washing machine. De nada. Panic sets in.

I race to the mailbox and check both ways up and down the street. It's a windy autumn day here in Wisconsin. Nothing.

I race back inside and out of the corner of my eye I see a corner of paper on the lid of my truck. In grabbing the bundle of mail, the check stuck to the fiberglas lid of my F-150.

Now, I'm not a brave man in the traditional sense of the word. Yes, I'll waltz with a townie and a stiletto over a spilled drink for a touch of pride. I once fell asleep at an IRS audit. Going +95 on the slab in third wound snug, sauce for the goose.

But losing a check as a retired guy on a fixed income gazing at a box of corncobs, now that scares me...

Last edited:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Ya made me laugh Chico .....only cause I'm right there with ya as far as loosing stuff goes.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Doc, you still have any of those "NCT Officially Crazy" certificates? I think we have a home for one. :yankchain:

Nica

I know what you go thru when you loose something important.

Last year as a visitor was starting to leave our drive way, he noticed both our truck tags had expired 6 months earlier. Panic! What in the world did we do with the registrations........Found them down between the driver's seat and the console, after about an hour of panic searching. Fell in there on the way back from the court house and we just totally forgot about it until reminded by our friend. Lucky us, we both went 6 months without getting stopped.

The Tourist

Banned
Yikes, I know the feeling of missing times and dates. More now in retirement.

A big part of my sharpening business is selling knives--expensive knives. Coupled with that, my wife is trying to start a home business slowly as she completes her career in teaching.

Everything we buy for these businesses is paid for over the 'net with our credit card.

When the monthly VISA bill comes, we have to have funds to pay it. Large interest amounts or delivery hold-ups can easily fritter away profits.

And let's be honest here, any adult with a bit of savvy and a computer can figure out our wholesale pricing. Tight margins and "added value" is why folks come back. Or else, why buy from us?

Any check goes right to the bank. Every VISA invoice is cross-checked for errors and paid--right now!

And now another problem. "Lowballers." These are guys who buy knives by the ton, rocket them out the door for a ten-dollar profit and offer limited customer service. We hear it all of the time.

"Hey, Tourist, how come "Acme Anvil and Shiv" has the same knife for fifty bucks less?"

Locutus

"Hey, Tourist, how come "Acme Anvil and Shiv" has the same knife for fifty bucks less?"

John Ruskin said:

"There is nothing that some man cannot make worse and sell cheaper. And those who consider price only are this man's legitimate prey."

'Nuff said! :punk:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
John Ruskin said:

"There is nothing that some man cannot make worse and sell cheaper. And those who consider price only are this man's legitimate prey."

'Nuff said! :punk:

I had not heard that one before Locutus, but that is a very good quote. So True!!!!!!

Kinda goes along with the PT Barum quote:
There is a sucker born every minute. :yum:

The Tourist

Banned
Doc and Ron, you guys might be several states away, but most of my clients are within the county. In fact, many come to my home, as do my wife's clients.

When her company or mine sell a knife, we offer "life sharp." We sharpen knives for free, for life, for that client. Yes, it our "added value" portion of the transaction. But we do so for two reasons.

One, when faced with future purchases (and many are expensive Japanese knives) a client will check to see if I carry that same knife first. During the service life, that same client brings knives to me--the "life sharp" knife is free, any other might be 100 bucks each. I believe that alone underlines the sale. (Of course, professionals don't blink, they write it off.)

(I just delivered one of the most cosmetically pleasing santukos I've ever seen to a client. At roughly +6-inches without free service, that would cost 120 dollars + tax + shipping for sharpening. And worth it, by the way. I wish you could hold the thing in your hand. I was tempted to keep it and order another one!)

Another reason I offer free sharpening is that I remember my own feelings. Before going professional, I was a Microtech customer. Every knife I bought cost between 200 or 400 dollars. I was afraid to touch those knives with anything. Most had a black-ti finish, but the edge was bare stainless from sharpening. One slip and that decorative and protective finish was gone!

There was a time I just bought their satin finish models just in case. I was afraid to use and enjoy my own knives.

Now I tell my clients (even the pros who can easily professionally sharpen their own knives) that I am ready to carry the water. And it's an important aspect.

I've watched my wife grab a Chicago Cutlery knock-off when an Hattori is right in front of her on the counter. Last night I reached for the Hattori and sliced off a piece of meat-loaf just to get it full of the tomato paste topping. But at its core, I understand. To her, she's risking damage to an implement that easily cost six times the entire meal. I don't want that idea to cross the minds of my clients.

Ask any knife collector. They'll drop or ding an EDC, and yet wipe off a "drawer queen" with a soft cloth if that treasure is even touched.

Nica

I'm not a knife guy....would like to be some day, but just enjoy your posts!

Points coming...........

The Tourist

Banned
but just enjoy your posts! Points coming...

Ya' know, it's a relief to hear a moderator say that. Usually I get a PM entitled, "Chico, can I have a private word with you..."

And truth be told, the very concept of "authority" has always been difficult for me to honor, respect, comply, not laugh myself silly--well, you get the idea.

As Locutus can verify, I have twice asked to be banned from forums. I knew I was finished, why wait until the last minute?

And this is Gospel, I was once banned from a cooking forum, that shall remain nameless, but where cooking was discussed, (*nudge, nudge*) for reporting the following: "After the Scopes Monkey Trial, the monkey, actually an orangatan named "Hackett," was adopted by Mr. Scopes and later became a professor emeritus at Yale University. It is widely held that Justice David Hackett Souter is named after this incredible primate."

Yikes, the mod went nuts--nuttier than I am, which is a stretch--and placed me on moderation for "lying to the members."

My delight is this same mod has taken up knife sharpening...