New Knife Being Shipped.

The Tourist

Banned
One of the things I'd like to accomplish here at NC is to make "knife news" cover as many people as possible. Endless studies of modern alloys probably won't help the food hobbyists much, but upgrades in Japanese knives might provide some needed info.

Same for members who spend time outdoors. Discussions of granite counter tops show some spectacular remodeling, but how does that individual glean ideas for his meal needs when camping?

And what about people who can buy only one knife? How can I gear my threads to their interest?

Well, this thread deals with ideas that Locutus might enjoy, but it also might generate some new ideas to our cooks. Ron (Locutus) has access to some amazing wilderness right outside his palatial estate. In fact, many times the servants come racing into his bedroom suite(s) just to advise him that he now owns a new herd of wild buffalo. One occasion was so uproariously humorous it makes me laugh yet. It involves 400 head of buffs, his new Lear jet and the Governor of Wyoming...

Anyhoo, I was researching a knife that might be all things to everyone, and I found one! Columbia River Knife & Tool now has a licensed agrement with Graham Brothers Knives, my favorite company. They now make one of the Grahams biggest knifes, usually going for =/-700 dollars now for just under 200 bucks. They call it the "2013." I call it amazing.

http://www.crkt.com/razel.html

Made from an alloy called 9Cr18MoV (essentially 440C with a tad bit of Vanadium), this knife was originally designed for some heavy use.

However, in purchasing other knives in this family, I have found them useful for just about anything. I began to wonder if the knife would be of use here at NC. So I ordered one from my distributor.

This example will be sharpened and reprofiled (if necessary) keeping the NC in mind. In other words, a food hobbyist wants a weekend out with the family for some fresh air. Armed with some new food ideas, and not knowing what might lie ahead, most utensils are evaluated.

Clearly strength and durability are concerns, but if the knife isn't good at making breakfast it's just a boat anchor.

I have found the flat tip to be good at spreading butter as well as cleaving an acorn squash. While heavier, the edges can be made as sharp as your home knives. Literally, this is one knife that can run your entire campsite, and take an incredible beating. And I mean punch through canned goods if you forget your opener.

This will be a different sort of evaluation, but aimed at food. Pictures will be taken as the project progresses. I think it will be fun, and it certainly may be a knife you haven't seen or considered.

The Tourist

Banned
I get it for less than half. In fact, I want to talk to Doc and Jim later tonight.

The knife (and my plans) cover a topic we only brushed upon. That being a "re-profile" of an existing edge to prepare it for differing work.

Obviously, the people here have cooking as their primary concern and interest. I'd like to help them in that pursuit.

This is a very strong knife that has many useful attributes for outdoor cooking. I'd like to investigate that.