Chocolate-Coconut-Pecan Upside-Down Cake

FryBoy

Made this for dessert tonight. It gets three oinks! And it takes all of 10 minutes to put together.

Chocolate-Coconut-Pecan Upside-Down Cake

½ cup (1 stick) butter, softened, divided
½ cup dark-brown sugar
½ cup shredded coconut
⅔ cup chopped pecans
½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
2 tablespoons milk

1 cup all-purpose flour
½ cup granulated sugar
1½ teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
⅓ cup water
1 egg

Preheat the oven to 350°F.

Grease one 9-inch round cake pan.

Melt ¼ cup (½ stick) of butter in a small saucepan.

Remove from the heat and stir in the brown sugar, coconut, pecans, chocolate morsels, and milk, and blend well.

Spread the chocolate-coconut-pecan mixture evenly in the bottom of the greased cake pan and set aside.

Stir together the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl.

Add the remaining ¼ cup (½ stick) butter, the vanilla, water, and egg, and beat until the batter is thoroughly blended and perfectly smooth.

Pour cake batter over the chocolate-coconut-pecan mixture and bake for about 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.

Let cool in the pan for about 5 minutes, then turn out onto a serving plate, with the chocolate-coconut-pecan mixture on top. Scrape topping remaining in pan and spread it on the cake.

Serve warm or cold, with vanilla ice cream if desired.

FryBoy

It's not much of a looker, very thin cake, but it's like a Mounds Bar on steroids!

496061382_TVRor-XL.jpg

lilylove

Oh...my...oh my... I have everything but the coconut! DAMN!! Wish I had some if I did I'd be running in to the kitchen!!

FryBoy

I was thinking I might double the amount of cake batter if I make this again -- although it is really disgustingly good as is. :pig::pig::pig:

FryBoy

I wasn't thinking of a second layer, just a thicker layer of cake, all cooked in the one pan.

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
that's right, he didn't. maybe it would have stretched if he had.

and next time i was thinking to double it and bake in a 9 by 13 pan since it simply wasn't enough. also my topping wasn't as thick and beautiful as yours is, in your picture. any advice ?

FryBoy

Mine was made in a 9" circular cake pan, which is a little under 64 square inches. Doubling it and making it in a 9" X 13" pan would be a little denser (117 square inches; two 9" cake pans would be 128 square inches).

I found the topping to be sufficient, as maybe your pan was too big. The cake part, however, is more like a big soft cookie than your typical layer cake.

My suggestion would be to keep it in the 9" cake pan and perhaps double the cake part. OTOH, it's pretty good as originally written.

FryBoy

With that pan your topping should have been at least as thick as mine. Did you scrape out any that stuck to the bottom and add that to the inverted cake? As I said, if anything I'd increase the cake -- there was plenty of topping. Try again, and this time keep DH away from it until it's done!

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
i didn't even get a chance to invert it to look pretty; I put it out to cool and the next thing i knew, it was half gone !!!!!

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
That just proves you made a yummy dessert, chocolate mousse! My dad would do stuff like that, too. When I catered desserts, he would sometimes forget and cut into a customer's and I would have to make another torte.

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
On Sunday I'm going to visit my mom for a few days, so I am doing a lot of cooking so dh doesn't starve. I'm making him a double recipe of this !!!!

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
The double recipe, baked in a 9 by 13 deep disposable foil pan, disappeared practically as quickly as the original, smaller one did. Definitely a keeper !!!