Would you buy a car this way?

The Tourist

Banned
One of the things that has always troubled me is the way that people buy knives. You wouldn't believe most of the stories.

Either they take an off-the-cuff comment from a tinker as gospel, or they buy "a pretty one." To me, it's like wondering onto a car lot and asking the salesman to sell you "a red one." My wife likes candy red cars, but she has no place inside a red Shelby Mustang. At least if you're the type of pedestrian who likes car-free sidewalks.

Another thing that troubles me is defining a knife by cost. When a client asks about knives, most salesmen ask what is their "price point." And this is an very important aspect.

I've seen a guy with an elk tag buy a 60K F-250, then spend +2K on a rifle and scope, book a fully appointed camp-guide-horse package, snap up a box of 20 cartridges that cost +100 dollars, and then ask me about an eight dollar knife.

The reverse happens, as well. If your kids like grilled cheese sandwiches, this is probably overkill for a paring knife:

http://www.japanwoodworker.com/product.asp?s=JapanWoodworker&pf_id=12.801&dept_id=13171

I've come to asking a potential client "what are you going to do with it?"

If they respond "professional chef" or "I cook two nights per week for my wife" then the recommendations differ.

With one exception. If a client states that his knives are "junk" and he's remodeling his kitchen, I recommend a gyuto or a santuko in the 100 to 150 dollar range. It's a good start, and he has other invoices for his upgrade. Truth be told, I'm starting my personal kitchen edges in this same fashion.

Additionally, I must ask how the client will service his purchase. If he says, "drag it behind the thingie on the can-opener" I'll guide him to garage sales. And if he says, "I've seen the Alton Brown video--and I agree," then I might expand his possibilites.

In short, when the condition of your implements fail you, obtain a brochure. Talk to a tinker in your area, find out how things wear. Find a good quality kitchen supply store, and "kick the tires" for materials, balance and the comfort of the handle. Do some google searching.

And if a grinning tinker on a Harley responds, "Here's an Hattori, give me your checkbook," well then, run! Run for your life...