Christmas morning breakfast?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I was trying to remember what we had for breakfast on Christmas mornings when we were little. I doubt we had anything - too excited to open stockings and gifts under the tree.

As adults, my brother and I had toast or a bowl of cereal - we didn't want to be full for afternoon appetizers, then dinner, at my father's house.

So, no big tradition here, either as a child or an adult.

What about the rest of you folks?

On Christmas mornings, what did you have for breakfast as kids? And now?

Lee

Guts

my mother used to make a recipe called eggs goldenrod, which is basically some deviled eggs in a great cheese sauce served on a one side of a toasted English muffin, and topped with bacon bits. It was a family hit I always liked little extra bacon. The other nice thing about this is it can be made ahead of time. All you have to do is toast the English muffins rewarm the Goldenrod eggs and top with bacon, which can be cooked ahead. when I say one side of a toasted English muffin what I mean by that is, she would split the English muffin put him on a jellyroll pan and toast the tops or the middle of the English muffin only.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
As a child, I do not remember. Now that I am an empty nester, breakfast is usually fried eggs and toast. I only have breakfast at home on the weekend.

goatherder

as a child, we always had a sour cream cinnamon pecan streusel coffee cake for breakfast on Christmas morning...my sisters and I still make it to this day

QuirkyCookery

The leftover chocolate chip cookies we made for Santa the night before? lol

It's varied over the years really, ranging from full-blown home cooked meals, to just eating things from our stockings, to moving straight into lunch instead.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Western omelet with smoked ham, red and green peppers and onion - with or without bacon, toast or potatoes.

Jim54

Actually, the best Christmas morning breakfasts I ever had were with my ex's father's family. Country ham, red-eye gravy, biscuits and white grave, eggs to order, pancakes or waffles, country fried chicken, and an assortment of fruits and beverages. Hmm. Makes me kind of wish I was still married ;)

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
There will be 14 of us at my sister's house and I'll bet the breakfast will be the controversial omelets in bags.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
As a kid, it was pancakes and bacon.

As an adult, it varies. This year will be bacon, sausage, eggs, hash brown casserole, biscuits and gravy.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
As a kid I don't remember.
When our kids were growing up we had eggs, hashbrowns and cinnabuns.

Last year it was cheese danish, and probably would have been the same this year except that our son and his wife asked if they could cook us Christmas Breakfast. No idea what they are cooking but the idea sure sounds good to me.

Jim54, that sounds like an outstanding Christmas morning breakfast. I sure understand you wanting to be married again, at least just for that morning. :D

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
I don't remember breakfast as a kid. I'm sure we ate something but that memory is overpowered by other things! :yum:

Now the menu usually is eggs, sausage, ham, biscuits and gravy.

Jim

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
nada breakfast for us my entire life. last year, egg mcmuffins w/ my new family. this year, i'll see when i get there & once i know where i'm staying at on Christmas Eve! :)

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
well is this breakfast before or after my parents got up?..lol

before:
chocolate
candies
christmas baking

after:
we didnt usually have a set breakfast as kids..mom usually made something special..as we got older she would make us waffles with bacon in them or my favorite still is when she makes me Eggs Benedict from scratch except the english muffins..only she to this day can cook my eggs the way i like them..

This year:
Were gonna have Scottish Eggs Bam Style

2dse2x4.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
LOL, Bam - great post!

ALL of the posts in this thread are heartwarming1

Lee

Bells

It was usually Canadian pea meal back bacon and eggs. I would be having it this year but I just saw Bams Scotch eggs and I haven't made them in a long time. I'm having a sudden craving.

Once in a blue moon I'll bake up some Cranberry/Orange/Walnut bread the day before, but if I don't, it's every man for himself - lol!! - since I'm already into Roast Goose mode pretty much as soon as my feet hit the floor Xmas morning.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
It was usually Canadian pea meal back bacon and eggs. I would be having it this year but I just saw Bams Scotch eggs and I haven't made them in a long time. I'm having a sudden craving.

i havent had peameal bacon since i was back home... now i want it..lol

my scotch eggs are a little different... hard boiled eggs,wrapped in breakfast sausage,wrapped in bacon...a little bbq rub then smoked until bacon is crispy

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
I don't remember any special breakfast as children. We usually try to have croissants as part of the meal nowadays.

Bells

i havent had peameal bacon since i was back home... now i want it..lol

my scotch eggs are a little different... hard boiled eggs,wrapped in breakfast sausage,wrapped in bacon...a little bbq rub then smoked until bacon is crispy
I've never had them with bacon but there is always a first time. Mine are different too with Indian curry spices. Thanks for the fantastic idea. I can make them ahead.

Mr. Green Jeans

Back in the day Mom always had a stollen in the oven while we were opening presents. As of late, we have come to enjoy a meatless version of Emeril's savory breakfast pudding. I started subbing sliced, sauteed portobellos for sausage or ham. The added plus is you make it the day before.