1 1/2 T White pepper
1 T Black pepper
3/4T Thyme
3/4 T Oregano
1/2 T Sage

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
There I was think - put your spice in a hot pan for several minutes - they should be blackened at the end of that.:chef::bonk:

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Here's an old newspaper article about Paul Prodhomme, who I think invented blackened red fish, and it includes his recipe:

I don't know if he invented it, but his New Orleans restaurant, K-Paul's Louisiana Kitchen, certainly started the blackened redfish craze that lead to the shutdown of redfish fishing. The population is back in spades and they are available under mangroves throughout the Gulf of Mexico. The red drum is an excellent eating fish and can be caught by wade fishing in the back waters as well as from boats.

chowhound

The red drum looks an awful lot like our chithead, also known as sheephead. A garbage fish in Lake Erie. If you're catching chitheads instead of walleye, you're trolling too slow.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
The red drum looks an awful lot like our chithead, also known as sheephead. A garbage fish in Lake Erie. If you're catching chitheads instead of walleye, you're trolling too slow.

same as in the spring in northern michigan... you ever collect the lucky stones from them chow?

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
same as in the spring in northern michigan... you ever collect the lucky stones from them chow?
We did as kids. We also swapped sheepshead for yellow perch from the black fishermen. They have a way of cooking them that gets past all the nasty greasy taste. I believe they skin them, de-fat them, fillet them and then grind them to make patties. I'm sure with enough seasoning you can get past the taste of the fish.

chowhound

I have no idea what the lucky stones are, Jeff.
And I'm not sure I do (lol).

I did eat some once. I filleted above the lateral line, cut into pieces, dropped in boiling water for a minute, then chilled on ice. Ate with cocktail suace.
Did I mention I ate some "once" lol. Can't belive everything you read in F&S.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Fresh water sheepshead - you eat that shit? Try the salties. They're quite good on the plate.

sheepshead.gif

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
I have no idea what the lucky stones are, Jeff.
And I'm not sure I do (lol).

I did eat some once. I filleted above the lateral line, cut into pieces, dropped in boiling water for a minute, then chilled on ice. Ate with cocktail suace.
Did I mention I ate some "once" lol. Can't belive everything you read in F&S.

its the otolith (earbone)

FRDXRayLV.jpg

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
i thought they were from the same family basically..one is salt and the other fresh...

they are nice to catch on light tackle either way..lol

Fresh water sheepshead - you eat that shit? Try the salties. They're quite good on the plate.

sheepshead.gif

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
yup same fish but really fun to catch on 4lb test..lol

Oh yeah! They fight like hell. Lot's of fun, and you think this is gonna be GREAT.....then there it is......Sheephead!!! :yum:

Sheepshead aren't bad at all. Mullet though.... yeeeeeachhhh! They have mullet festivals down here and people pretend they taste good.

Mullet Toss!!!!!!!!!!!! :yum: