Making my Dr Pepper BBQ sauce again!

Derek

Banned
Well I will be making my dr pepper bbq sauce once again tomorrow, for rwings this weekend.

But I will kick it up a notch and add some of Jeff's green sauce in my batch for a nice heat.

Derek

Banned
Oh man Oh man, After putting a FULL table spoon of Bam's green sauce in and then 1/8th tea spoon of serreno peppers powder, 1/4th teaspoon Habenero powder I made and the BBQ sauce is KILLER, It's freaking AWESOME.

I've added 1 and 3/4 cups of brown suger and almost a cup of Worcestershire sauce.

This is the recipe I'll now.

Derek

Banned
522669284_qZe24-L.jpg

But you see it's been simmering ALL day long since 10 am.

KKsMom

Blond Member
Is Dr. Pepper actually in the sause, or do you call it that because of the spice and/or use of peppers?

Derek

Banned
Is Dr. Pepper actually in the sause, or do you call it that because of the spice and/or use of peppers?
Hi Blondie, It literately has Dr pepper as the main ingredient added when I was cooking it.

And it also has very hot PEPPERS in it.

KKsMom

Blond Member
The suspense is killing me!!! Is the recipe on your site; or on this site? Where can I find it?

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Sounds great! How did mixing the Spanish onions with the yellow onions work out?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Since a Spanish Onion IS a yellow onion, I’m curious how he knew he actually had 2 different onions?

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
sauce sounds really good but next time try just adding the green sauce or the red sauce(you wont be using a tablespoon of this stuff) to your sauce and simmering it.

with the sauce you made, it reminds me of sweet baby rays when you added my hot sauce only hotter. if you are going for heat and flavor, open up that jar of red hot sauce, you wont be dissappointed with the results..

Derek

Banned
Awww c'mon! You puttin me on! :wink:
I knew I had a Spanish onion & and a normal yellow onion, The first was the shape, And the second The tearing up my eyes was a lot better on the spanish onion then the Yellow.

No, seriously. Spanish onion comes in White, Yellow, and Red, with yellow being the most predominant.

Spanish Onion
135511.JPG

“Yellow” onion.
onion.jpg
Kelt, Man your too much dude, I mean come on come cut me some slack, I may not know my arse from a hole in the ground when it comes to BBQING, But I do know my veggies, Ok bro?

sauce sounds really good but next time try just adding the green sauce or the red sauce(you wont be using a tablespoon of this stuff) to your sauce and simmering it.

with the sauce you made, it reminds me of sweet baby rays when you added my hot sauce only hotter. if you are going for heat and flavor, open up that jar of red hot sauce, you wont be dissappointed with the results..
I'm waiting till the green is gone before I do that, How much of the red would I put in? By the way guys I pureed the sauce this time so the onion chunks are stilll there but very very small in shape.

YodelCupcake

Yellow Onion
A globe shaped dry onion that is an all-purpose onion. It is most commonly used when a recipe for a cooked dish calls for onions. It is more pungent than a white onion and has a golden brown, papery skin. Of all onion varieties, 80% of production is devoted to the yellow onion. Their high sulfur content makes them too pungent for most people to eat raw and the sulfur is also what creates tears when chopping. It provides a rich onion taste, making it a good choice for heated dishes requiring a distinctive onion flavor. When sautéed, they will turn a deep dark brown color and can be added as a complement to a variety of food dishes or meats. Yellow onions are used in casseroles, savory pies, quiches, stir-fries, pizzas, and soups, such as French onion. They are also a good onion for caramelizing. Yellow onions are readily available throughout the year.

Spanish Onion
A large round dry onion that has a light golden caramel colored skin. The Spanish onion is the variety that is most often found in the grocery stores. It is the largest, most popular onion for slicing and eating raw because of its mild sweet taste. They can also be added raw to salads, baked, sautéed, or fried and they store well. Spanish onions make good onion rings.

Source: http://www.recipetips.com/kitchen-tips/t--823/all-about-onions.asp

YodelCupcake

Derek, you are correct, they are very different, as stated above. Mixing them can work, or for a less pungent onion taste, just go with the milder, the Spanish. Click that link to see all kinds of onion types.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Yellow Onion
A globe shaped dry onion that is an all-purpose onion. It is most commonly used when a recipe for a cooked dish calls for onions. It is more pungent than a white onion and has a golden brown, papery skin. Of all onion varieties, 80% of production is devoted to the yellow onion. Their high sulfur content makes them too pungent for most people to eat raw and the sulfur is also what creates tears when chopping. It provides a rich onion taste, making it a good choice for heated dishes requiring a distinctive onion flavor. When sautéed, they will turn a deep dark brown color and can be added as a complement to a variety of food dishes or meats. Yellow onions are used in casseroles, savory pies, quiches, stir-fries, pizzas, and soups, such as French onion. They are also a good onion for caramelizing. Yellow onions are readily available throughout the year.

Spanish Onion
A large round dry onion that has a light golden caramel colored skin. The Spanish onion is the variety that is most often found in the grocery stores. It is the largest, most popular onion for slicing and eating raw because of its mild sweet taste. They can also be added raw to salads, baked, sautéed, or fried and they store well. Spanish onions make good onion rings.

Source: http://www.recipetips.com/kitchen-tips/t--823/all-about-onions.asp

Thanks for proving my point.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
I'm waiting till the green is gone before I do that, How much of the red would I put in?

derek you can open the jar and just put it into the fridge, my hot sauce runs minimun 20% acid content, was canned properly and should last in the fridge for about a year...

i sure as heck wouldnt put a tablespoon of it in the amount of sauce you have shown. especially if you are going to cook with it.

open red hot sauce, take a toothpick, stir jar with toothpick, put toothpick in mouth....ouch hot..lol

Derek

Banned
derek you can open the jar and just put it into the fridge, my hot sauce runs minimun 20% acid content, was canned properly and should last in the fridge for about a year...

i sure as heck wouldnt put a tablespoon of it in the amount of sauce you have shown. especially if you are going to cook with it.

open red hot sauce, take a toothpick, stir jar with toothpick, put toothpick in mouth....ouch hot..lol
Trust me Jeff, I'm going to do what you suggested I may be quirky and a noob to bbqing but I'm certainly not stupid :)

I don't want to fry my taste buds on the red sauce :)

Thanks for the tip Jeff.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Here's a picture with all the onions in question.

523071858_NeSrY-X2.jpg

Yeah, quite the difference there. The skins are different….wait, no they aren’t. Ok, the color is different….wait, no they aren’t. Ok, the size….wait, I’ve bought Yellow onions straight off the farm that were hand picked and bigger than both of those.

Did your Wal-Mart have a sign that said Spanish onions or something? And if so, did you pay extra? If you did, I got some beach front property I’ll sell you on the cheap! Really.

But hey, considering the write up on Spanish onions say they are mild and sweet, and yellow onions are mild and sweet, I’m sure it all makes a difference bro. Rock on!

Derek

Banned
Yeah, quite the difference there. The skins are different….wait, no they aren’t. Ok, the color is different….wait, no they aren’t. Ok, the size….wait, I’ve bought Yellow onions straight off the farm that were hand picked and bigger than both of those.

Did your Wal-Mart have a sign that said Spanish onions or something? And if so, did you pay extra? If you did, I got some beach front property I’ll sell you on the cheap! Really.

But hey, considering the write up on Spanish onions say they are mild and sweet, and yellow onions are mild and sweet, I’m sure it all makes a difference bro. Rock on!
Just out of curiosity? Why are you picking on me as of late? Did I piss you off in another thread? And no I don't freaking shop at walmarts, I shop at Miejers and soon the farmers markets.

But still why you dissing me as of late? And no they didn't have a sign up!