Historical cooking

Rustpot

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I am about to go on a 2 week Black powder rendezvous here in Fl. All meals must be cooked on an open fire & only Historical correct cooking utensils are to be used. [frying pan, & Dutch oven,] I would like some good recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner & breads, pies, I got from some of you, a recipe for Camp fire Boston bake beans. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Pleas no pork. [/FONT]
Thanks

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Rustpot, have you perused the other recipes posted in the Campfire/Primitive Cooking forum? Lots of good ones there!

This adventure sounds interesting! Tell us more about it!

Lee

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
My fried chicken recipe would be wonderful cooked in a dutch oven over an open fire. Just be careful to only use a small amount of oil in the dutch oven. You'll know the chicken is done when then the juices run clear.

These Au Gratin Packet Potatoes would be easy.

Apple Crisp for dessert:

Apples, peeled and sliced
3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup quick oats
1 tablespoon cinnamon

Fill Dutch Oven half way up with apples. Combine brown sugar, flour, oats and cinnamon. Cut butter into mixture. Spread mixture over apples. Cover, put about 8 coals on top, 10 to 12 on the bottom and cook until apples are soft

Rustpot

Rustpot

Rustpot, have you perused the other recipes posted in the Campfire/Primitive Cooking forum? Lots of good ones there!

This adventure sounds interesting! Tell us more about it!

Lee

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Yes I have checked out the other recipes in the Campfire/Primitive Cooking forum. I also wanted to get recipes from some newcomers, and links to other sites. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]The time that I reenact is pre 1840. This is the time that the west was being open to people of this time. When I say west I am speaking of west Virginia Kentucky, Luis & Clark, ect.... Not the wild west with cowboys. Clothing, cooking ,and foods must be set for that time period. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]http://www.floridafrontiersmen.org/Alafia2012.html[/FONT]

Rustpot

My fried chicken recipe would be wonderful cooked in a dutch oven over an open fire. Just be careful to only use a small amount of oil in the dutch oven. You'll know the chicken is done when then the juices run clear.

These Au Gratin Packet Potatoes would be easy.

Apple Crisp for dessert:

Apples, peeled and sliced
3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup quick oats
1 tablespoon cinnamon

Fill Dutch Oven half way up with apples. Combine brown sugar, flour, oats and cinnamon. Cut butter into mixture. Spread mixture over apples. Cover, put about 8 coals on top, 10 to 12 on the bottom and cook until apples are soft

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Thank you Mama for the “Apple Crisp recipe”:readytoeat:[/FONT]

joec

Gold Site Supporter
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Thank you Joec for the site! I have joined it. [/FONT]

The site is pretty slow but has been around a long time, so there are a number of various recipes listed.

What is surprising to most is in the larger towns of the 1870's to 1899's West is the food served in most restaurants of the day. Much of it was French style of cooking which I found somewhat of a surprise when I started researching the period. The modern TV depictions seem to show steak and beans which is just that modern TV depictions. :tiphat:

Rustpot

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]What is surprising to most is in the larger towns of the 1870's to 1899's West is the food served in most restaurants of the day. Much of it was French style of cooking which I found somewhat of a surprise when I started researching the period. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]foods were govern by People and location's. In the 1700's and early 1800's we would have seen the French, English, & German influence. As people moved West and South West in the Late 1800's we would see a Spanish influence [Texas] and in New Orleans we would see French & Spanish. Further North West one might see the German influence in foods and cooking. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]France was the hub of the fashion, & food world in the 1700 & 1800. Wealthy young people in England would desire to go to School in France and come home in outlandish dress and foods. They would have been called “Macaroni”-(Cool) [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]The modern TV depictions seem to show steak and beans which is just that modern TV depictions. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]TV is not a good source for being Historicity accurate. Although Television has gotten much better. “Dances with Wolves” “Jeremiah Jonson” “Gods and Generals” “George Washington” “Open Range”. :tiphat:[/FONT]

[/FONT]
[/FONT]

joec

Gold Site Supporter
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]foods were govern by People and location's. In the 1700's and early 1800's we would have seen the French, English, & German influence. As people moved West and South West in the Late 1800's we would see a Spanish influence [Texas] and in New Orleans we would see French & Spanish. Further North West one might see the German influence in foods and cooking. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]France was the hub of the fashion, & food world in the 1700 & 1800. Wealthy young people in England would desire to go to School in France and come home in outlandish dress and foods. They would have been called “Macaroni”-(Cool) [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]TV is not a good source for being Historicity accurate. Although Television has gotten much better. “Dances with Wolves” “Jeremiah Jonson” “Gods and Generals” “George Washington” “Open Range”. :tiphat:[/FONT]

[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Some others that are close to historically correct are the Lonesome Dove series, The Outlaw Josey Wales, and currently Hell on Wheels. I now have been spoiled as far as historically correct since getting into NCOWS which is basically a reenactment group from 1867 to 1899 time period. It is a ball too I might add with a great group of people from all walks of life.

The minute I watch a western movie now I notice things that don't fit such as guns produced after the time period depicted, no suspenders on pants (belts with loop came in the 1900's), holsters is another great mess up as no such thing as quick draw in the old west ever.:smile:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have never heard of this hobby/interest!

It's fascinating,you guys! Let me think more about recipes, Rust, now that I understand the reason behind your original post.

Thanks for sharing!

Lee

joec

Gold Site Supporter

It's fascinating,you guys! Let me think more about recipes, Rust, now that I understand the reason behind your original post.

Thanks for sharing!

Lee

It seems the reenactment scene is not just the civil war but all points in US and European history. I got interested in it as a kid but just this last year actually had time to pursue it. It like most hobbies can be somewhat expensive when one considers cloths, guns etc all period correct however it is cheaper than golf or fishing I've found and simply more fun, as well as meeting some really interesting people in this. Most are in my age group also, though their are youngsters also. :mrgreen:

Rustpot

Some others that are close to historically correct are the Lonesome Dove series, The Outlaw Josey Wales, and currently Hell on Wheels. I now have been spoiled as far as historically correct since getting into NCOWS which is basically a reenactment group from 1867 to 1899 time period. It is a ball too I might add with a great group of people from all walks of life.

The minute I watch a western movie now I notice things that don't fit such as guns produced after the time period depicted, no suspenders on pants (belts with loop came in the 1900's), holsters is another great mess up as no such thing as quick draw in the old west ever.:smile:

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]LOL I do the same thing! I say to myself, when I see these discrepancies in the clothing in a movie. “Some one, did not do there research. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Knowing that you do the same thing as I do, I want to ask you, Have you seen the movie called: “The Village” Actors: Bryce Dallas Howard, Ivy Walker, & Joaquin Phoenix.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]If you have not seen this movie, rent it and see what you think of the time period depicted of there clothes they wear. [/FONT]

Rustpot

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]It seems the reenactment scene is not just the civil war but all points in US and European history. Absolutely! [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I got interested in it as a kid but just this last year actually had time to pursue it. It like most hobbies can be somewhat expensive when one considers cloths, guns etc all period correct however it is cheaper than golf or fishing I've found and simply more fun, as well as meeting some really interesting people in this. Most are in my age group also, though their are youngsters also. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I Got started in my 20's and as you say it is costly. As we had more children I could not afford the money or the time. So! I packed all my stuff away. About 3 years ago my newly found son-in-law was helping us clean out some stuff and come across all my Frontier / Mountain man stuff and went nuts over it. He is 35 and from and early age he had been very interested in this “stuff”. This got me back into it and for the past 3 years I have been back into it. But this time my wife has had the time (with all the kids gone) to get into it with me. After I come back I post some photos in the none food section. Were leaving on the 11, and coming back on the 22. [/FONT]

Rustpot

Thanks for sharing!

Lee

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]because of this hobby, we have seen movies that are a lot more accurate in the history. Here is an example; In the movie, “Dances with Wolves” The Native Americans steal Kevin Costner horse and the horse breaks away and returns to Costner cabin. The camera shot shows the horse and the rope around the horse head. Take notice to the rope![/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Also there is a seen by the water with the Native Americans girl & Kevin Costner. The woman is gathering water in round bags. The round bags are the bladder's of Animal. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Thanks for the recipe help Lee[/FONT]

joec

Gold Site Supporter
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]It seems the reenactment scene is not just the civil war but all points in US and European history. Absolutely! [/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I got interested in it as a kid but just this last year actually had time to pursue it. It like most hobbies can be somewhat expensive when one considers cloths, guns etc all period correct however it is cheaper than golf or fishing I've found and simply more fun, as well as meeting some really interesting people in this. Most are in my age group also, though their are youngsters also. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I Got started in my 20's and as you say it is costly. As we had more children I could not afford the money or the time. So! I packed all my stuff away. About 3 years ago my newly found son-in-law was helping us clean out some stuff and come across all my Frontier / Mountain man stuff and went nuts over it. He is 35 and from and early age he had been very interested in this “stuff”. This got me back into it and for the past 3 years I have been back into it. But this time my wife has had the time (with all the kids gone) to get into it with me. After I come back I post some photos in the none food section. Were leaving on the 11, and coming back on the 22. [/FONT]

Sounds great Rustpot, I for one will be looking forward to the pictures. That mountain man history was also real interesting period also. I have seen the rendezvous scheduled over the last year on Open Range (forum) and Cas City forum. If I ever get a chance I will have to check them out though cap and ball single shoot is a bit like work.

Leni

You might take a look at the Internation Dutch Oven Society's website. It's www.idos.com. They have recipes there as well as a lot of other information.

GotGarlic

I don't know if this one will work for you, but I have a recipe for Dundas Sheep Stew from a history book from Lunenburg County in Virginia, where my ancestors lived. It calls for 8 sheep and begins: "Two days ahead, make bread for crumbs (requires 16 lbs. of flour). One day ahead, slaughter sheep. Chill overnight."

Let me know if you want the rest.

:mrgreen:

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I am about to go on a 2 week Black powder rendezvous here in Fl. All meals must be cooked on an open fire & only Historical correct cooking utensils are to be used. [frying pan, & Dutch oven,] I would like some good recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner & breads, pies, I got from some of you, a recipe for Camp fire Boston bake beans. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Pleas no pork. [/FONT]
Thanks

How about pie irons and/or cast iron skillets?

http://www.bing.com/search?q=pie+irons&FORM=SSRE

http://www.wisementrading.com/outdoorcooking/pie_irons.htm

http://whatscookingamerica.net/CastIronRecipes.htm

Rustpot

I don't know if this one will work for you, but I have a recipe for Dundas Sheep Stew from a history book from Lunenburg County in Virginia, where my ancestors lived. It calls for 8 sheep and begins: "Two days ahead, make bread for crumbs (requires 16 lbs. of flour). One day ahead, slaughter sheep. Chill overnight."

Let me know if you want the rest.

:mrgreen:
Yes! please. I would like to have the rest of it.

Rustpot

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Thanks California Cook I like this site, and I saved it.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Cast-Iron Skillet Recipes http://whatscookingamerica.net/CastIronRecipes.htm [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Pie irons are PC and I do have one.[/FONT]

Rustpot

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Period correct-PC is important to many of today's reenactment people to search for what was PC for the time frame they are trying to reenact. This includes food's and cooking utensils. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Examples: When did Tomatoes come to America?[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]In 1805 would one find Stake sauce on his table? [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Would it be there in 1888? [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]In 1400's would you see knife,fork,or spoon on a table?[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I had forgot about this wed site that I had found many years back, I found it again. You might like it. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Food time line http://www.foodtimeline.org/[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]We live in a great time when it comes to foods. When one looks back in time we find that many foods & spices we have and use today were just for kings, Royalty and the rich. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Thank you all for your help. :tiphat:[/FONT]

You're welcome, RP.

I've never seen a pie iron bread baker before. What a cool idea.

breadmaker.jpg

breadmaker 2.jpg

With the Camp Bread Baker you can add some great tasting, freshly cooked bread to your camp meals. This unique Cast Iron Bread Cooker allows you to bake a variety of quick, or leavened breads, over your fire or camp-stove in only 10 minutes. The Bread Baker is similar in concept and operation to Rome's famous pie irons. The cooking cavity is 12" long, 1 1/2" deep, and is connected by rods with wooden handles. The Camp Bread Baker is 1 3/8" wide, and 30" in overall length. To use you simply butter or oil the cavity, fill half way with dough, and cook over a moderate fire until done. The Rome Bread Baker is also fantastic for cooking wraps, roll-ups, burritos, and even corn dogs.
Price $16.00

GotGarlic

Actually, I've been reading a book called "Much Depends on Dinner: The Extraordinary History and Mythology, Allure and Obsessions, Perils and Taboos of an Ordinary Meal." It says margarine was invented in 1869 and the patent sold to an American in 1871. I'm sure you're right, though, that in the 1840s, Virginians would have used butter.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Actually, I've been reading a book called "Much Depends on Dinner: The Extraordinary History and Mythology, Allure and Obsessions, Perils and Taboos of an Ordinary Meal." It says margarine was invented in 1869 and the patent sold to an American in 1871. I'm sure you're right, though, that in the 1840s, Virginians would have used butter.

Live and learn I guess as I though margarine was something from the 20th century considering it is one molecule short of being plastic. :ohmy:

Go figure since you got my interest peaked I checked it out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margarine

Last edited:

Rustpot

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif] [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Shepherd's Pie - [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]From [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Chowning's Taver[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]n Colonial Williamsburg, Williamsburg, Virginia[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Stew Ingredients:[/FONT]

• [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]4 tablespoons unsalted butter [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 pounds lean boneless leg of lamb, cut into 1/2-inch cubes [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1/2 pound turnips, peeled and diced [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1/2 pound carrots, peeled and diced [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]3 celery stalks. trimmed and sliced [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 medium onion, peeled and diced [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1/2 cup all-purpose flour [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 cups beef stock or water [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1/3 cup tomato paste [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Potato Topping Ingredients:[/FONT]

• [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2 pounds white or red boiling potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1/4 pound (1 stick) unsalted butter [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 egg [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 egg yolk [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 teaspoon salt. or to taste [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1/2 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper, or to taste.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Instructions:[/FONT]

1. [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]To make the stew, melt the butter in a Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium high heat. Add the lamb and brown on all sides, making sure not to crowd the pan. This may have to be done in batches. Remove the lamb from the pan with a slotted spoon, and set aside. [/FONT]
  2. [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Add the turnips, carrots, celery and onion to the pan, and saute for 3 minutes, stirring frequently, or until the onions are translucent. Return the lamb to the pan along with the thyme, and sprinkle the flour over the lamb and vegetables. Cook over low heat for 3 minutes, stirring frequently, to cook the flour. Add the cold stock or water, raise the heat to medium high, and bring to a boil. Stir in the tomato paste, and season with salt and pepper. Cook the lamb mixture covered over low heat for 40 to 55 minutes, or until the lamb is tender. [/FONT]
  3. [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]While the lamb is braising, place the potatoes in salted cold water and bring to a boil over high heat. Boil the potatoes until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain, and then mash the potatoes using a potato masher or hand-held electric mixer with the butter, egg, yolk, salt and pepper. Place the mixture in a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip. [/FONT]
  4. [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]To serve, preheat an oven broiler. Place the lamb into a large baking dish or individual dishes, and pipe the potatoes into a latticework pattern on the top. Place 6 inches from the broiler element, and brown the potatoes. Serve immediately.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Note:[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] The lamb and potatoes can be prepared up to a day in advance and refrigerated, tightly covered. Reheat the lamb over low heat before piping the potatoes and the final broiling. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I am makeing this for dinner tonight.[/FONT]