For those geeks out there.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Last year, I bought an Apple computer, an iMac. I am getting more calls for Apple service on them and I wanted to become familiar with the system.

I recently installed "Boot Camp" a feature that allows a Mac to run windows. You decide at startup whether you want windows or Mac O/S. That made me curious. I keep a "service machine" on my workbench. I use it to try out hardware, recover data from failed systems, etc. At the moment, I had it loaded with Linux (Ubuntu to be exact). I have another hard drive running windows, if I need windows.

I wondered if ti is possible to have two hard drives installed in the computer (I knew it would do that), and be able to select which drive the computer would boot from (I knew it would do that), and have the O/S that I boot leave the other hard drive alone. Sometimes windows insists on fixing what it sees as problems on other hard drives, it has gotten messy on occasion.

Anyway, I took two new hard drives, installed one and loaded Linux. Then I removed the hard drive and installed Windows on the other one. Then I installed both hard drives and use the BIOS to select which O/S I want.

The interesting part is that Linux installed in 1/3 the time that Windows did and when it was installed, I had a word processor, spreadsheet, e-mail, music player, and a lot more. Linus will even read the windows drive and allow me to store stuff on it. Windows had no applications and just says that there is an unrecognized drive there.

I still like windows. it feeds me. I am playing more with Linux.

Just sayin.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Interesting. Is the windows drive fat 32 or NTFS?

I use Xen and run multiple OS's on one machine all at the same time. You can jump from one to the other and issue commands etc. Pretty slick.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
The windows drive is NTFS. My friend Brian does that too, it is indeed slick. Is Xen expensive? What is the base O/S? I think I found it www.xen.org?