Old Guy, New Toy, Need Help

Biskit

I became the recipient of an ipad through a drawing held at an eatin' joint we frequent. Here's the deal:
Each of our two computers has its own air card for internet access through our cellular provider. I shopped our local Walmart in search of a wireless router so I could use the Wi-Fi with the 'pad. They don't have one that will accept the air card to receive the signal. I was hoping to use the card from our laptop because it, too, is Wi-Fi capable.
Anybody got any ideas?

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
ohhhh, my head hurts . . .

but somewhere in the dim archives of yesteryear I seem to recall you can share an internet connection through one computer to other computers.

networking is involved....

in those ancient days it was hardwire - pc to pc - one would hope you could attach a wireless router to the connected pc thence sharing the connection wirelessly with the other 'puters.

some hope there, regrets not much detail to help you . . .

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I’ve never done it, but it sounds like Ad-Hoc in reverse…..which is what ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) is for.

For ICS to work in this case, you will need 2 NIC cards in your PC or Laptop.

I’m assuming that’s what you have? You say you have a Wireless NIC plugged in for access to your Cellular Provider…..so do you also have a built-in NIC with an RJ48 plug that you would typically plug into a router or modem?

If so, you can use the wireless card to get internet to the PC/Laptop, then you set up the wired NIC for ICS which will make it something of an access point. You then plug a wireless router into that port, and it will share it wirelessly.

So the extra PC NIC becomes something of a modem or access point for the router, and then the router becomes a wireless supplier to the iPad.

In theory, that could work. Some problems though.

1. You have to have a second and free NIC in your PC/Laptop.

2. It sounds as if your PCs are all Laptops. For ICS to work, you’d have to hardwire a wireless router to the laptop meaning it’s no longer portable.

3. If the router and your wi-fi provider are on the same channel, it could cause problems (collisions, dropped connections, etc).

Without a wired internet connection, this is a tricky situation.

Another way that might work, but that would require two routers, is to have one router set up as a bridge to get the wi-fi signal from your cellular provider. Then hardwire a second router to that so that it provides wi-fi to the iPad. That is cludgy as hell, and I’ve no idea if it would work. I mean, if the iPad can’t access the wi-fi from your provider, I doubt an off the shelf router could.

Have you tried to get the iPad to see your cellular provider’s signal? The iPad should be wi-fi enabled (built in, no external plug in hardware needed), and should be capable of picking up the signal from any hotspot…..unless your provider is intentionally blocking it?

Your best bet would be to call your cellular provider and ask them how to get your iPad on their network. I’d imagine they have faced this before and will have an answer. Who is your provider?

Last edited:

Biskit

I'll be darned if I know anything you just said, Keltin. I have no doubt you know your stuff, I'm just not tech savvy enough to understand it all.
My provider is Alltel, soon to be AT&T. I understand that they don't have the ability to make Wi-Fi hotspots, yet.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I'll be darned if I know anything you just said, Keltin. I have no doubt you know your stuff, I'm just not tech savvy enough to understand it all.
My provider is Alltel, soon to be AT&T. I understand that they don't have the ability to make Wi-Fi hotspots, yet.

All iPads are wifi enabled (built in), and should be able to pick up the same signal your laptops are picking up. The laptops needed an external wireless (air) card since they typically only have a wired connection by default. The iPad ships with wifi built in.

Have you tried to get the iPad to “see” the same network signal that your laptop cards are seeing?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Hmmmm......just checked the Alltel site. Are your laptop cards and internet connection through Alltels EVDO network? That's different than wifi.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Looking at the Alltel site for Dakota, it says AT&T will be taking over soon. That should mean access to 3G which the iPad can do as well. But, the Alltel site says that it does provide wifi along with EVDO, so you might be able to pick up a signal as is with that iPad. But.....it looks like you have to pay an additional fee of 10 bucks for unlimited wifi access.

Go to the Altell site and check for wifi coverage in your area. Enter you zipcode on the coverage map and see if it is there. If it is, then all you probably have to do is call Alltel and make a few changes to your account to get on with the iPad.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Out of curiosity, on your Laptop/PC, go to:

Start > Run

And type in “control” without the quotes.

That opens the Control Panel.

Now double click on “Network Connections”. Ignore the 1394 connections…….besides those, how many do you see there? If there is more than 1, then you have 2 Network Interface Cards (NIC) and could do the ICS trick I spoke of earlier.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
OK, I am venturing into unfamiliar territory here, but my son Jeff (who lives in China) has an iPad, and he uses the 3G network absolutely everywhere. He used it when we were in DC and NY last summer, and yesterday, he called me from a cab in Beijing while he was on the way to catch the bullet train. I know he does not depend on wifi. Congrats on the iPad, Biskit - it is a wonderful toy, indeed! (You can also use it as an e-reader and, of course, an MP3 player.)

belaine

Bottle Washer
Super Site Supporter
Love my ipad, works everywhere and I hardly have to set anything. At home I am connect on wifi - on the road it connects just like my iphone and I pay 14.99 per month for that to AT&T