Chowhound's Garlic Heat Finishing Sauce

chowhound

Here's a little concoction I came up with a couple weeks ago. I duplicated it last night, actually measuring as I went. It packs a lot of heat and a lot of flavor. It's not suicide hot, not burn your mouth hot (kinda), but I wouldn't give it to anyone under 12 or over 70 :wink: It reheats well.

1/2 stick butter
6 lg cloves of garlic (4 loose TBS)
4 TBS ketchup/catsup
2 TBS Sriracha hot chili sauce
2 TBS Frank's Red Hot sauce or similar
2 TBS worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes

Melt the butter slowly while finely chopping the garlic.
Add the garlic to the butter along with the other ingredients and simmer, stirring often, for about 30-45 minutes, until thickened. You may need to whisk to keep the butter from separating. Serve warm over chicken. I've served this over grilled chicken (that I had already seasoned while grilling) and also had it over rice. A little goes a long way.

Attachments

• grilled thighs with sauce.jpg
    grilled thighs with sauce.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 147
  • wings 10-24-09.jpg
    wings 10-24-09.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 137

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
OMG, Fred, I SWEAR I can smell that coming from my monitor! It would take the top of my head off, but it LOOKS fantastic!

If you're not going to eat all that rice, can I have it? Rice is my favorite.

Lee

P.S. Love your signature! LOL! You quoting Lefty?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
This sounds great CH. I've saved it for future use thanks. I was thinking you could add a bit of honey to this too using it as a hot sticky wing sauce.

homecook

Thanks Fred!!!!!!! I will definitely be trying this. I picked up some more wings too. I'll probably be the only one eating them though..LOL
I've got all the ingredients too.........ooooh boy!

homecook

This sounds great CH. I've saved it for future use thanks. I was thinking you could add a bit of honey to this too using it as a hot sticky wing sauce.

Wouldn't adding honey make it too sweet instead of the "garlic heat" finishing sauce it was meant to be?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Not at all the Asians do it all the time as do other Cultures. Some of the hottest food I had in my life had a honey garlic hot sauce in Taiwan. South American and Mexican dishes often use chocolate and hot chili peppers together in many of their dishes. It will make it sweet but won't effect the heat at all really. Sweet and hot works well though honey added to this would be about a teaspoon to table spoon not much more. I often add honey to my hell hot Asian sauces/marinates I use for various Asian dishes I make also, kind of sweet/sour/hot mix.

chowhound

I'm sure honey would tame it down and change it entirely.
I've played around trying to come up with a very hot sauce that also has flavor for a while, mixing this and that. And usually honey, or teriyaki or SBR's finds its way into the mixture and it immediately turns it into a sticky sweet sauce. Good, but not what I was going for.

chowhound

Just to say after reading Joe's post, if I was putting this on ribs I would add honey. I like my ribs sticky/sweet/hot.

homecook

Well, that's what I was thinking. If I want hot, I want hot, not sweet hot. To each his own........

I'll be trying your recipe Fred, just as is.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Here is a great example of a hot/sweet/sticky sauce and this is hotter than the ingredients would lead you to believe too. I used this on ribs and people loved the flavor but complained about it being too hot for many.

Orange-Chipotle Glaze

1 cup orange juice
2 cups cider vinegar
1 (7-ounce can) chipotle peppers in Adobo sauce, pureed in the blender or finely chopped
1 cup soy sauce
8 cups sugar

In a heavy 3-gallon non-reactive stockpot, reduce the orange juice to 1/4 cup. Add the remaining ingredients and cook over medium-high heat until the sugar has melted and the sauce has reduced to 4 cups and coats the back of a spoon, about 20 to 30 minutes.
Note: Be sure to use a large pot as specified, and also watch carefully while reducing the glaze ? it has a tendency to boil over!

Yield: 4 cups sauce

chowhound

Thanks, Barb. I look forward to what you think.
Maybe you can split the pot and add honey to John's half (lol).

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Well, that's what I was thinking. If I want hot, I want hot, not sweet hot. To each his own........

I'll be trying your recipe Fred, just as is.

I will be using it as is too HC just a thought is all.