Do you eat veal?

buckytom

Grill Master
what did you see?

if most people saw how pigs and chickens and beef cattle were treated, they might go vegetarian, or at least wouldn't be so quick to waste food.

most veal in america is pink veal, which is just a calf that was raised on a semi-restricted diet. it's not exactly a free range life, but they're slaughtered at 2 to 4 months, so it's not that cruel. treatment that's not all that different from chickens and turkeys, really.

white veal is the bad (but tastier) stuff.
in order for the beastie to have it's flesh remain white, the animals are fed diets deficient in iron and green feeds, and never see sunlight, nor the outside of their tiny pens. some are fed nothing but milk and are prevented from moving around at all. this often creates anemia in the creature, so it's cruel even for the short month or two of the creatures life.

Last edited:

High Cheese

Saucier
I didn't know about the pink/white veal. I know about raising livestock for food and all, birds don't bother me but mammals do.

Knowing about pink veal is reassuring tho. :thumb:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
We don't eat a lot of veal either though just because it is hard to get here. I do find ground veal but won't buy ground meats at all as I prefer to grind my own meats. We also don't eat lamb though it again is due to the fact I don't know where it comes from.

90% of the meat we eat is free range from a local farmer. His/Her meats are farm raised by them (beef/pork only) as are their feed crops (grass feed for the most part). They butcher a couple of steers and pigs about 3 times a year then age it properly for months before selling it. Their prices are a bit higher than the food store but not much higher really (cheaper than Whole Foods). I tend to buy a side of beef and a side of pork each year. I also buy some other cuts such as briskets (usually 3 to 4 whole) as well as extra racks of ribs (both beef and pork). Occasionally we buy a flank, flat iron or other steaks in the super market but behind the butcher counter not the packaged stuff.

chowhound

So... are you saying you eat veal, Joe? ;^)

I don't cook it, so when I used to go out I would order it. I try not to think about how food arrives on my plate, so no problem with veal.

More veal info you don't want to know: A guy I used to work with (from England) said they would heard the calves onto iron bars, their legs would drop through as they fell onto their bellies, then they would be gutted in order to bleed out.

BTW, do we have any PETA members here? (lol)

joec

Gold Site Supporter
So... are you saying you eat veal, Joe? ;^)

I don't cook it, so when I used to go out I would order it. I try not to think about how food arrives on my plate, so no problem with veal.

More veal info you don't want to know: A guy I used to work with (from England) said they would heard the calves onto iron bars, their legs would drop through as they fell onto their bellies, then they would be gutted in order to bleed out.

BTW, do we have any PETA members here? (lol)

What I said was I don't eat because I can't get it here except in ground or chops. Chops I don't like and I don't buy ground meats ever. I haven't eaten veal since I left Florida (had a great butcher there) over 6 years ago. My meat supplier doesn't do veal at all.

buckytom

Grill Master
you can't argue with a group that has naked models holding up signs as their spokespeople, though.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
People for the Ethical Treatment About making thier own wallets fat.

Not me by a long shot, but I do understand some of what they are saying and do agree. They just carry it way to far and I am a meat eater.

chowhound

Yeah, so you would eat it if you could get it then, Joe. Same here. I don't see it where I shop, but I would eat it.
I think Jay just wanted an eat it or not, from the way it is farmed. I'll put you down for a yes :^D

chowhound

you can't argue with a group that has naked models holding up signs as their spokespeople, though.

Ya know... just yesterday I did a Google on that Kardashian that Lamar Odom is marrying and wouldn't you know... there she is doing a nekkid peta add :wink: Sure, she won't wear fur, but it looks like she has no problem wearing cosmetics that are typically tested on animals.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Man I've eaten meats that would make a billy goat puke in my life. I would eat insects if hungry enough and have. :D Most of you should once in your life travel the world eating their local foods and I don't mean European Countries but Asia, India and Africa. You would be amazed at what they eat there.

chowhound

Shit, Joe. I have a hard time watching that program on the Travel channel... the one where the guy does just that, travel to odd places and eat with them. Although the VA hillbilly one was kinda neat.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I did some serious world travels between '80 and '83 (93 countries) and had at least some local foods in most. I learned early on if it looks good, smell good and tastes good don't ask just eat it as odds are you wouldn't touch it if you knew the recipe. Now if it doesn't meet that criteria then don't touch it regardless of how hungry you are. :whistling:

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
Thank God, we don't have veal in our grocery stores, at least I have never seen it in my forty something years and I don't think I could eat it, just like I can't eat buffalo, venison or ostrich

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
I haven't eaten veal for a long time - it is very tasty. I would probaly order pink veal if I did now.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Thank God, we don't have veal in our grocery stores, at least I have never seen it in my forty something years and I don't think I could eat it, just like I can't eat buffalo, venison or ostrich

You really ought to try those. Buffalo is just another type of beef and a bit leaner that regular beef. Venison is just plan good and also similar to beef in texture. Ostrich is also excellent though a bit more red in color than beef is still is more like a cut of beef than chicken for example. Also a real lean meat.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I've eaten it in restaurants and it was wonderful. I love veal piccata. But I try really hard not to think about where any of my meat comes from. I know that's wrong, but I really love meat as long as I "forget" it comes from sweet little animals.

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
Did you hear about that 76yo woman in Ohio who was sentenced to 80 hours of community service for beating a baby deer to death with a shovel?? I heard it on the news this morning. I hear she did it to protect her petunia's - gimme a break...!

High Cheese

Saucier
Did you hear about that 76yo woman in Ohio who was sentenced to 80 hours of community service for beating a baby deer to death with a shovel?? I heard it on the news this morning. I hear she did it to protect her petunia's - gimme a break...!

Oooooh...I'd like to turn the tables on that one! :bangin:

Where's she live? I'll give her something to get upset about. :wink:

joec

Gold Site Supporter

I heard about this when it happened a few months ago now. I agree that is wrong but then eating venison keeps the herds down so they don't over populate as most hunting seasons are meant to control.

As long as it is controlled with that in mind I have no problem with hunters take game animals including alligators in Florida. Now I don't hunt though many in my family does so I do get the meat from time to time. I just never got into going out and shooting an animal down with a rifle when many game meats are available in restaurants and some stores today.

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
I heard about this when it happened a few months ago now. I agree that is wrong but then eating venison keeps the herds down so they don't over populate as most hunting seasons are meant to control.

As long as it is controlled with that in mind I have no problem with hunters take game animals including alligators in Florida. Now I don't hunt though many in my family does so I do get the meat from time to time. I just never got into going out and shooting an animal down with a rifle when many game meats are available in restaurants and some stores today.

I understand about hunting and it's importance. What I don't agree with is the brutality to this innocent animal. She could have taken other measures to protect her precious petunias before beating it to death.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Only to excess....

Yes, I do. I'm not a fan of how any proteins are produced for market, and I think the life of a chicken may be worse than that of a calf... But I still want to eat it.

And...I eat foie gras, too.

chowhound

I was wondering when that was going to be brought up, Vera. I would have brought it up myself except I didn't know how to spell it (lol).

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I understand about hunting and it's importance. What I don't agree with is the brutality to this innocent animal. She could have taken other measures to protect her precious petunias before beating it to death.

No argument from me, and I vote they take her down to the creek and hold her under until the thrashing stops.

chowhound

Oh I don't know...
Which would you rather hear, Granny beat an animal to death with a shovel, or Granny took out a deer with three well placed shots from her AK-47?

:yum: