Navy beans and smoked ham hock

joec

Gold Site Supporter
This is the first recipe I tried with my pressure cooker and it turned out pretty good too. It is based on a couple of recipes but I added some things and removed some to suit my tastes.

Navy Bean and Ham Hock Soup

Ingredients:
1 pound navy or white beans, picked over
1 smoked ham hock
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 diced jalapeño pepper
1 large onion, chopped
1 carrot, peeled and chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
2 scallions diced
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
1 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
1 teaspoon of Thyme
1 teaspoon of Cumin
1 bay leaf
6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
salt and pepper to taste

I soaked my beans overnight changing the water every few hours. There are other methods for this but it was fine with these dish. I then Heat the oil in the bottom of a pressure cooker over medium-high heat. Added the onions, jalapeños peppers and cooked, stirring occasionally, until light brown - about 3 to 5 minutes.

I added the remaining ingredients, cover and lock the pressure cooker and bring to high pressure over high heat, then lower the heat to stabilize the pressure at high and cook for about 15 minutes. Removed the pressure cooker from heat and release the pressure as recommended by the instructions that came with the cooker. In my case the beans where done enough for me but if necessary cover and return the pot to pressure and cook for another 5 minutes. I then removed the ham hock from the soup. Discard the skin and bones. Chop the remaining meat and add it back to the soup.

If you want it creamier you could use a potato masher, the back of a large spoon to slightly mash the beans. You can also use an immersion blender, but be careful not to completely puree the soup - it should be thick and lumpy. I didn't bother with it this time as I wanted it whole. Season with additional salt and pepper if necessary. Serve hot.

It was also good as a left over on some steamed rice the next day.

One other note here the times will depend a bit on your pressure cooker and stove top. In my case I used and induction cook top which is a bit faster.

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
Sounds good Joe... I got a pressure cooker a month or two ago... I still have yet to use it! Perhaps this will be my first recipe to try in it!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I got a nice smoked ham hock but if you can't find them even pigs feet or none smoked should work fine too. If you cook kosher a smoked turkey wing would probably also work.

I actually got mine on Monday with knowing it would be here I started soaking the beans before I went to bed Sunday night. I got the Fagor 7 piece set from Amazon.com as I had a gift certificate from them left over from Christmas. It really worked out well but I was a bit afraid of it at first, I've sure got over that now. I think the next thing I do with it might be a corned beef for st. patties day. Prep time and all the whole thing took about 30 minutes to do. The same recipe in a dutch oven would of taken most of the day to get there. I'm sold now.

lilylove

YUMMMMMY!!!! Don't have a pressure cooker but I'm sure I could do this on the stove top! Beans and ham!! GOOOOD!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Could probably do it in a slow cooker too. I would set it to about 6 to 8 hours though for the beans to cook through and soften a bit.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
We do ours in a slow cooker, great that way! If I manage the PC this year, I will try it this way though! Thanks!