9 uncooked lasagna noodles
1 16-oz. carton ricotta cheese
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided use
1/8 tsp. cinnamon
8 oz. provolone cheese, sliced
1 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. fresh oregano, chopped
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

Cook and stir Italian sausage, onion, and garlic in 3-quart pan until sausage is lightly browned; drain. Add tomatoes with liquid, tomato sauce, ¼ cup parsley, sugar, basil and ½ tsp. salt. Heat to boiling, stirring occasionally; reduce heat. Simmer uncovered until mixture is consistency of thick spaghetti sauce, about 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cook noodles as directed on package. Reserve ½ cup of the sauce. Mix ricotta cheese, ½ cup Parmesan cheese, 1 tbsp. parsley, cinnamon, 1 tsp. salt and oregano. Layer ingredients in ungreased 13x9x2-inch baking dish in this order: thin layer of sauce on the bottom; 1/3 of lasagna noodles; 1/3 of ricotta cheese mixture; 1/3 of sauce; 1/3 of provolone cheese; 1/3 of mozzarella cheese; repeat for two more layers. Spoon reserved sauce on top, and top that with remaining ½ cup Parmesan cheese.

Bake uncovered for 45 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting.

In the attached photo, I divided the recipe into two 8x8-inch baking dishes. I needed to make a few more lasagna noodles in order to do this (can't remember how many) and after cooking, I cut them with kitchen scissors to fit the pan.
lasagna.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
That looks wonderful!! I've always used two sauces in my lasagne, a white and a red. I can't wait to try yours!! :)

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
That's one thing I never tried to master - Lasagna. I MUST try this recipe now! Thank you!