Summer Garden

Leni

Spring has sprung here in SoCal. Just bought a bunch of tomatoes and the space for them has been rototilled.

What are you folks planting this year?

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Gonna be a few more weeks here. Definitely gonna be lots of tomatoes and bell peppers. Not sure what else there will be.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Spring has sprung here in SoCal. Just bought a bunch of tomatoes and the space for them has been rototilled.

What are you folks planting this year?

I'll be so glad when spring has sprung here!!

So sick of this cold clammy snowy weather here!!

I'd love to start a garden, but can't because of outside space being a premium, but if I could, I probably would. :wink:

pharmerphil

What varieties are You growing?
we are planting 150 this year:
100 hybrid sauce (determinate)
50 heirloom (indeterminate)

Typically we raise Heirlooms exclusively; however customers at the Framers Market and CSA customers want selection...and some folks love them Hybrids (can't see why)

Weather...we are sick of it too...right now..2°..15 mph. winds-blowing snow..
Minnesota has a fickle climate..

Last year on St. Patricks day...we planted Peas...it was 80°

This year on St. Patricks day...we PACED BACK AND FORTH...and LOOKED out the window at the Cold snowy garden :(

High Cheese

Saucier
I just cleared out stuff from last year and tilled. Ordered some transplants from Seedsavers, coupla heirloom tomatoes and one chille plant. I should have some seeds popping up from last year.

Leni

We usually grow around 50 plants, all varieties. One that I discovered two years ago is Michael Pollon. It is a natural sport of Green Zebra. It looks much the same except that it is oval. Very tasty! If you can find it give it a try.

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
Got some onions and tomatoes started in the greenhouses. Our ground is froze like a rock about 3ft. deep this year. Will be a while till we can plant and then you have to watch the frost. Last year we got the early jump and ended up losing a lot of stuff. Even stunted or killed my peas.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
The only things I'm going to start indoors this year are several variety of sunflowers.

A customer at my store gave me the tip to do this, and transplant them outside after the first set of true leaves appears. This way the damn squirrels don't dig up the seeds and eat them!

It works!

Lee

Leni

You are not planting any tomatoes? Bird netting works very well with those varmits. And anything else as well.

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
You are not planting any tomatoes? Bird netting works very well with those varmits. And anything else as well.
Bird netting is a PITA to put on fruit trees. Had to resort to that on my cherry trees at the old farm. Rotten birds would watch and right as the cherries were ripe the would move in and eat them all gone if you did not pick fast. Most years I would get 5-6 five gallon buckets full to the rim with nice sweet cherries. One year we were busy and planned on the whole family picking on Saturday morning. When we grabbed the ladders and buckets the birds beat us by 2 days and we ended up with barely 2 buckets.

Leni

The onions are begining to bulb nicely. Garlic is coming up. Lots of nice lettuce and Swiss chard. The trouble is that the birds like it also. Tom went and planted them next to one of our fountains. The birds come and take a bath, get a drink of water, and then have breakfast.

I planted more peppers and tomatoes at the community garden today. The thornless blackberries that we just planted are leafing out. Tom rototilled an area for yellow wax beans. Next I need to plant carrots, radishes, and beets. Also need to find a spot for two artichoke plants.