Hot pot vs. Coffee machine

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
I have a small, single serving Black and Decker Brew & Go; here's a picture although you can imagine it, I assume.

http://www.blackanddeckerappliances.com/c-9-personal.aspx

Theoretically, you can pour water into the resevoior in the back to heat water for tea and/or oatmeal. However, practically speaking, the tastes sort of combine and I'm getting complaints from my kids about that.

(I don't mind doing a Vinegar Cleansing Wash every so often, but they use the Brew & Go in tandem so that doesn't help.)

So, it's being discussed if we should invest in a plug in sort of kettle or hot pot. It's not a lot of money and I guess I can find the room to store it; I just wonder if I'm sort of indulging the kids because neither dh nor I really need such a thing - we have a stove and microwave and dh and I find that's plenty to own.

I guess the main thing is that when I was their age I was on my own, not living with my parents and asking them for appliances .....

Or, does anyone have a coffeepot that also brews hot water, and doesn't mix up the taste? I mean, our coffee thingy is fine but it's not new and maybe therein lies the problem ....

Thanks all !

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I've seen those hot pots before. Kind of neat. I'm just wondering if they are any faster than microwaving 1 cup of water for 2-3 minutes? How long does it take to fill a hot pot, plug it in, then wait for hot water (I haven't used one before).

To fill a measuring cup and pop it in a microwave takes me 15 seconds, then 3 minutes for near boiling water. And then I just put the measuring cup in the dish drainer.....it was just hot water, so no need to wash it really.

Is there any reason the microwave wouldn't suffice for this?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I'm gonna ask him. I have heard that microwaved water can blow up in your face, though.

Oh, yeah, sort of…..it is possible depending on your container.

What happens there is that water becomes super heated…..it gets heated beyond 212 degrees. Water can only be heated normally to 212 degrees before it starts to boil and turn to steam.

Super heating can happen in a microwave if you use a very smooth container that has no scratches or nicks at all.

For water to begin to boil, it needs a catalyst to start the rolling conversion of energy. In a pot, the catalyst is trapped air or air bubbles in the small pores of the pot or pan.

In a microwave, if you use a perfectly smooth glass container which has no pores or small scratches to hold an air bubble, then the action of boiling doesn't happen, and the water is forced to absorb far more heat energy than the usual 212 degrees.

Then, when you take it out of the microwave you will often jostle the container thus breaking the surface tension of the water, or you will bring it out and stick a spoon in it which introduces air.

Once that happens, the excess energy (over 212 degrees) is rapidly released now that the boiling action has a catalyst to get it started. If there is a lot of excess energy, the reaction can be rather explosive.

I've actually had it happen a few years ago, but the reaction was fairly small….and kind of cool.

If the container you are using is plastic, or is an older glass container that you have stirred, whisked, or otherwise used before, then the surface will more than likely have scratches and nicks to hold air which means the water will boil normally and not get super heated.

But, if you're worried about it, never microwave water longer than 3 minutes in a small unit, or 2 minutes in a large one.

You can test your container by microwaving water in it for 6 minutes. If you don’t see bubbles forming and the water boiling after the 6 minutes (it should happen within 4 minutes) and the water is perfectly still, then you know it is superheated. In that case, you should leave it alone till it cools. Once cool, get a steel wool and scratch up your glass container to make some nicks in it that will hold the air bubbles and then try again.

FooD

It takes much faster to boil a quart of water in my electric kettle than it does on the stovetop. I also don't trust myself on the stovetop as I've left the kettle completely boil dry several times in the past, ruining them. The electric kettle shuts off automatically. From that standpoint, it's worth it.
It also gives me more room on the stove as I don't have a kettle sitting on it 24/7.
Plus, it's a cool countertop appliance.

Guts

Attachments

• aaaaaaaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbb 001.jpg
    aaaaaaaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbb 001.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 128

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I've seen those hot pots before. Kind of neat. I'm just wondering if they are any faster than microwaving 1 cup of water for 2-3 minutes? How long does it take to fill a hot pot, plug it in, then wait for hot water (I haven't used one before).

To fill a measuring cup and pop it in a microwave takes me 15 seconds, then 3 minutes for near boiling water. And then I just put the measuring cup in the dish drainer.....it was just hot water, so no need to wash it really.

Is there any reason the microwave wouldn't suffice for this?

That's exactly how I do it. As long as the cup is big enough, it's never boiled over.

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
He's a big boy - he's 23 !! He knows how to use the microwave, I'll have to designate a microwave safe boiling water container; I WAS going to suggest glass actually ... I guess I won't, now.

Hmmmm wonder if styrofoam would be good ?

loboloco

He's a big boy - he's 23 !! He knows how to use the microwave, I'll have to designate a microwave safe boiling water container; I WAS going to suggest glass actually ... I guess I won't, now.

Hmmmm wonder if styrofoam would be good ?
Suggestion here. Use a clean, but older coffee cup. The actions of stirring and cleaning create small striations on the inner surface, giving it the needed micro bubbles. Or alternatively, before moving the container stick a wooden stick or plastic straw in, then wait for the boil to slow or stop.
I have a carousel type microwave and it bumps slightly about every tenth turn, so I don't have a problem getting a boil.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Suggestion here. Use a clean, but older coffee cup. The actions of stirring and cleaning create small striations on the inner surface, giving it the needed micro bubbles. Or alternatively, before moving the container stick a wooden stick or plastic straw in, then wait for the boil to slow or stop.
I have a carousel type microwave and it bumps slightly about every tenth turn, so I don't have a problem getting a boil.

+1 Agreed! :thumb:

Wart

Banned
Super heating can happen in a microwave if you use a very smooth container that has no scratches or nicks at all.

For water to begin to boil, it needs a catalyst to start the rolling conversion of energy. In a pot, the catalyst is trapped air or air bubbles in the small pores of the pot or pan.

A phase interface called a nucleation point.

Click the pic, should be a link.

When I heat a liquid in the Nuke I tap the container on the counter before doing anything else (except for doing knowns like reheating coffee, thats done a couple of times a day). Seems to be enough to release the pent up energy. And when you do something you know may have "unforeseen consequences" you're much better at dodging.

Back to the subject, When making that little coffee (that B&D Brew and Go wouldn't make enough to start my start of the day), I have always liked one of these:

Once again the pic should be a link.

It calls for a #2 filter but I use a #4 filter. I'm able to make 1/2 liters of coffee using this, #4 in the holder, coffee into the filter, fill the filter about to the top with hot water, let it drip then rinse the sides of the filter with more hot water. You might think water would run down the side of the filter but it only seeps through, hydrogen bonding keeps the water "attached" to the cellulose of the filter.

On the first wetting the coffee floats and sticks to the sides of hte cone. On subsequent wetting the coffee grounds increasingly sink to the filter bottom.