Memorial Day/Weekend Plans & Menu

Any plans? Whatcha got cooking?

8_13_106.gif

8_13_107.gif

:bbq3:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Hopefully if it doesn't rain we will BBQ. I hope people share some of their BBQ, smoking and grilling tips and secrets. I do ok but nothing special.

Probably the usual things for sunday and monday - homemade salads (tossed green, mac and maybe potato) dogs, burgers, homemade BBQ sauce and either homemade baked/bbq beans using navy beans (cooked in the PC), BBQ chicken (flank steak and ribs if I can get a good price).

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
My old smoker has about had it. It's about 7 years old, and I need a new one. The fire pan is rusting out, and it could use a good cleaning. Still, the body itself is in pretty good shape and the cooking grates and water pan are still good. The legs are rusting, but I think it's still got some life left in it.

I haven't used it since we moved to the new place, and it's just been sitting out back under a tree. I think I'll break out the cleaning equipment this weekend and give the smoker a thorough cleaning, and see what I can do about the fire basket.

If all goes well, I think I'll do our first smoke at the new place this weekend. Probably going to do a mix of beef back ribs and pork spare ribs. My buddy at work just gave me a load of cherry, so that will be the wood of choice if I can get the smoker up and running again.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Should get the boat wet this weekend. DW just shared the shopping list with me ...so I know she's planning pizza Friday night, hamburgs and hot dogs Saturday, Italian chicken Sunday with raemon noodle salad (Italian Chicken is simply boneless chicken breasts marinaded in italian dressing cooked on the grill). It is very tasty.
Other than that I'll be boating when the sun is shining.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
prayfully, gonna get to place a flag @ my beloved Grandpap's resting place.

there should be celebratory stuffs abound, here, as us 'burgh folks tend to celebrate occassions abound. i luv this place so much!!!!! was it for memorial day or was it for the 4th that i was invited 2 for an abundant gathering of people that includes food/grilling/alcohol/likely tunes. he rang me middle of the nite, @ like 3-ish, to inform me so i am groggy on that 1.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
In place of a 'company picnic' I've invited my entire staff and their families to our home for a BBQ. I'm finding that a northern NJ version of a barbecue is different from what local New Orleanians eat at a barbecue. I don't think the tortellini salad will go over well.
I'm going to get some toys and a wading pool for the kids!

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Oh I how did I forget about the corn on the cob.

Sounds like it will be interesting Vera. Do they roast a whole porky piggy on a spit or is that a different part of the south thing? What do they expect?

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Lou and I said 'hot dogs, hamburgers, corn, salads, etc'. Talking to my staff, I get the feeling they are more about dinner served outdoors.
Instead of the franks and burgers I have already decided to smoke some ribs. Who doesn't love smoked ribs?? I wanted to do italian sausage and peppers. Ashley, one of my staff, loves loves loves the italian sausage. She's never had it at a cookout, though. Instead, smoked sausage, (what tastes suspiciously like keilbasa) is hugely popular. Corn bread is huge. Potato salad is fine, as long as it's room temperature and made with mustard, eggs and sweet pickle relish. I have no idea where corn on the cob sits. I mentioned baked beans, and was met with 'red beans' as in red beans and rice.

I knew about Creole, Cajun, southern cuisine living in NJ. I had recipes, even before I visited here the very first time, and followed them because I was curious. Most people here have never ventured outside the comfortable culinary box their entire lives. To not have heard of boston baked beans baffles me.

Right now, I plan to do the ribs, italian sausage and peppers and the traditional smoked sausage. I'll do boston baked beans and corn bread. I'll do the tortellini salad and try my best to make an acceptable potato salad that Barbara can eat.

I also bought a wading pool that has a palm tree that rains, three balls, gallons of bubbles, sidewalk chalk and will set up my croquet game.

North meets South, baby

SilverSage

Resident Crone
................and try my best to make an acceptable potato salad that Barbara can eat.
North meets South, baby

Oh My!!! Pleasing Barbara will be tough!!!!!

My potato salad is made with mustard, eggs, and pickle relish. I offer it to you if you want. Not sure if it's good enough for Barbara, though!

Leni

I'm going to my condo in Dana Point for the week. No idea what I will cook for Memorial Day but it will be something on the grill. A friend down there served in the military. Think that I'll make him a leather bracelet with a beaded flag on it. He really like my flag beaded earrings and necklass that I wore last year. He commented that he really appreciated that I wore those on Memorial Day. I love making things like that for a friend.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
That sounds awesome Leni, and very sweet of you! :thumb:

Checked old faithful tonight, and I CAN fix the fire pan. It's not as bad as I thought, and I do have an extra ECB water pan that I could modify to make a new one. So, All I've got to do is the annual "spring cleaning" and old faithful will be smoking again. Looking forward to some ribs and maybe some chicken on the smoker now!! :bounce:

If I can pull of Mama's wheat bread, I see some awesome smoked chicken sandwiches happening this weekend as well!

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
All you pro grillers/smokers/Qers Please post some of you tips, tricks, secrets and recipes in the Let's Talk BBQ thread in the Plat with your food forum. Pretty please. I need as much help and new recipes as possible. I'm still not sure how to smoke on my weber coal BBQ except for a quick steak, burger etc using wet chips in a smoker box.

Nancy-MD

I'm having my usual family cookout on Monday. I try to vary what I have each time, mostly the meats. The salads are pretty much the same - potato and macaroni salads, coleslaw, deviled eggs, cold pasta salad, corn on the cob or maybe hot cheesy corn, watermelon, cucumber/onion/grape tomato salad, maybe baked beans.

The meats will be shish kabobs made from beef tenderloin trimmings I have in the freezer from Christmas time, grilled shrimp, hamburgers and hot dogs.

For dessert, I'm making a lemon/lime poke cake and maybe brownies.