Beer Braised Beef

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
***By special request of Chowhound***

Having company tonight for dinner, and I made this last night and put in the fridge...Beer Braised Beef & Onions, from the Feb 2009 issue of Gourmet magazine.

Browned/seared the seasoned (salt & pepper) beef (Any cut will work. I used sirloin and tied it with butcher twine) in the dutch oven with a bit of oil, then set off to the side...

P1010474.jpg

Scraped down the sides and bottom of the pan and cooked down 4 cups of sweet onions, two bay leaves, two carrots chopped and two stalks of celery chopped. Added a little salt, pepper and garlic powder.

P1010475.jpg

Put the beef back in on top of the veggies and added beer (MGD) half way up the side of the roast, then cooked covered for 3 1/2 hours on 350 F. I checked after 2 hours, and added more beer to bring up the moisture level.

P1010476.jpg

Mopped down the carmelization from the sides of the pot, removed and tosses the bay leaves, chewed up the veggies with my Braun stick mixer, added 1/8 C flour shaken with 1 cup of cold water, and thickened the gravy. Cut the beef after it rested for 1/2 hour, layered it in a glass dish and smothered with gravy. Cooled and covered with plastic wrap in the fridge overnight and will reheat before dinner. (To reheat, preheat oven to 325 F, remove plastic wrap, cover tightly with aluminum foil, and bake for 45 minutes.)

P1010477.jpg

Will serve with mashed potatoes, corn and fresh Italian bread. Your sides may vary.

Last edited:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Braised the seasoned (salt & pepper) beef (Any cut will work. I used sirloin and tied it with butcher twine) in the dutch oven with a bit of oil, then set off to the side...

Is that first step supposed to be "browned" instead of "braised"?

homecook

The heck with Lakeshore Eatery.........I'm coming to your house!!!

Barb

p.s. Chowhound may be right behind me!

chowhound

Thank you, Joe......

So is that just a flat sirloin steak, rolled and tied? Does it unroll when you cut it for the pan?

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Braised the seasoned (salt & pepper) beef (Any cut will work. I used sirloin and tied it with butcher twine) in the dutch oven with a bit of oil, then set off to the side...

Is that first step supposed to be "browned" instead of "braised"?

Mea Culpa! I don't know all the right words. I changed it to your word.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Mea Culpa! I don't know all the right words. I changed it to your word.

Ok, that makes more sense to me now. I'm definitely trying this. Will it work with a large sirloin roast? I have a favorite recipe for chuck roasts, but it doesn't work with sirloin roasts, so maybe this one will. Thanks!

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Thank you, Joe......

So is that just a flat sirloin steak, rolled and tied? Does it unroll when you cut it for the pan?

Yep, just a flat sirloin, and I really didn't roll it, just kind of squeezed it together and tied it so it would fit in my DO. It held its shape after cooking and cut nicely after its rest. We had it awhile ago and the meat just fell apart. It will make good open faced sammies tomorow.