White Beans Soup

Cuisinette

100_4220.jpg
Ciorba%2Bde%2Bfasole%2B11.jpg

1 lb white dry bean
2-3 slices of bacon (smoked sausage or any other smoked meats)
1 medium onion
1/2 of red bell pepper
2 carrots
2 stalks celery
1 teaspoon dill weed
2-3 bay leaves
1 can stew tomatoes (or 2-4 fresh ones, chopped)
Salt and pepper to taste
Chopped parsley
And if you could find some lovage, if not use the leaves from celery… chopped (optional)

Do not use cilantro with this soup or will taste horrible, trust me I threw a pot away because I bought cilantro by mistake instead of parsley.

Soak the beans in warm water for about 1 hour.
Meanwhile, chop the bacon in small bits; chop the onion and the red pepper. Cut carrots anyway you like it.
Take a frying pan, turn the heat on medium, and fry the bacon first… add onion and red pepper and cook until onion becomes glossy (about 5 minutes). Keep mixing so the onion won’t burn. Set aside.

Take the beans and place in a large pot, cover beans with cold water, bring to a boil and let simmer for 2 minutes. Keep an eye on the pot, the beans will foam a lot.
Drain the water. Repeat 3 times.

After you drain the third water… cover about twice the height of beans with fresh water (enough water to be juicy, I don’t like thick bean soup)… place on the stove and add the bacon mixture and all the other ingredients except the parsley and lovage/celery leaves.

Let simmer on low until the carrots and the beans are cooked. Try a bean once in a while so the beans don’t overcook.

Check for salt and pepper, add the chopped greens and serve with toast or, my favorite green onion dipped in kosher salt. Taste divine.

For this soup if you like raw onion, make a salad:
1 red onion… crushed with your hand as much as you can until the onion becomes juicy. Cut slices and rinse under cold water. Squeeze the water and place in a bowl. Add salt, olive oil and vinegar. Serve with bean soup and fresh French bread.

Note:
1. If you are using big chunks of meat with bone as I did with the ham hocks, I suggest to boil the piece separate for about 1 hour before adding everything into the beans. Beans cook relatively fast, and if you overcook them they could turn into mush.
2. If the meat used has a heavy taste of smoke you may consider to throw away the water you pre-boiled the meat in it. I did so with the sausages.
3. Use only one type of meat not all of them. The soup will end up too heavy.

Ciorba%2Bde%2Bfasole%2B01.jpg
Ciorba%2Bde%2Bfasole%2B02.jpg

Ciorba%2Bde%2Bfasole%2B03.jpg
Ciorba%2Bde%2Bfasole%2B04.jpg

Ciorba%2Bde%2Bfasole%2B05.jpg
Ciorba%2Bde%2Bfasole%2B06.jpg

Ciorba%2Bde%2Bfasole%2B07.jpg
Ciorba%2Bde%2Bfasole%2B08.jpg

This is Lovage, a spice that looks like celery, but the taste is a marriage between parsley and celery.
Ciorba%2Bde%2Bfasole%2B09.jpg
BonAppetit.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
That looks delicious :brows:. I was thinking what are "smoked hoofs," but then I saw the pic. We call them ham hocks.

Cuisinette

That looks delicious :brows:. I was thinking what are "smoked hoofs," but then I saw the pic. We call them ham hocks.

Ops, well I cound't find the right definition for them and I gave up.
English is my 5th language and I think I do almost OK.

Thanks for telling me, I'll ask Doc to do the change.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I fixed it for you.

In the future, if you want something changed, just hit the report button. It's the red triangle up by the karma button. The next mod online will fix it for you.

buckytom

Grill Master
very nice, thanks cuis! copied and saved.

i've made various versions of 'scarole e fagiole soup with white beans, but i never tried it with tomatoes, dill, and peppers. sounds great.