Finger Limes

Has anyone here tried them, either in a restaurant or at home?

I just came across a recipe that called for them, & had to look them up as I'd never heard of them before. VERY intrigueing, especially if you're a lime fan like I am. Here's a link to some pics:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=finger+limes&qpvt=finger+limes&FORM=IGRE#x0y0

Apparently they resemble caviar in appearance & are terrific (as they would be) when paired with seafood. While they look to be pricey (I cruised a few sites), several sites said that they last for quite a few weeks in the fridge; that while the exterior (which is also supposed to be aromatically "limey") may pit & change color, the interior will remain pristine.

Thought I started a thread about it. Guess not. I had read about it in the L.A. Times (link below). As I understood it, they were imported from Australia, & were being grown (& sold locally in a market in Santa Monica) here in California (peak season Oct-Dec.). I have not seen them in the market in my neck of the woods; but it doesn't surprise me when the local Produce guy won't carry Meyer lemons because he claims Noone buys them - they're too expensive. :glare: At about $30 (?) per pound for the imported fingerlimes, doubt they'll show up anywhere here except Beverly Hills or expensive/trendy restaurants.

You squeeze the inside (caviar-like beads) into or onto the dish or cocktail. Here's a look:

http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-marketwatch-20101112,0,3880474.story#tugs_story_display

Yes - I read that article. I did hear that some Whole Foods stores carry them this time of year, since they're apparently "in season" right now. In addition "Logee's Plants" (well-known reputable company) is now selling the plants, which I'm considering. Apparently they make good container specimens that can be brought indoors for the winter. In fact, they're even be touted as excellent candidates for training as bonsai. I think they're around $10 each + shipping.

I'm intrigued & may have to give the fruit &/or the plant a try. :)

Saveur magazine has a couple of recipes using them - one using diver scallops & one using head-on shrimp - that both look quick & interesting.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
They are cool-looking! I'd never heard of them before, so thanks for putting them on my radar screen!

Lee