Pepper Pork Banh Mi Vietnamese Sub... Man Food 3.5

K

Kimchee

More Man Food, LOL
This is 3.5 because last night I had a catfish version but didn't take pictures...

Apparently the bread is key to these sandwiches... I was just hoping for a French Baguette.. and lo and behold, I find a Take and Bake one at Krogers! Thirteen minutes at 400 degrees and I was impressed... crispy crunchy outside and nice inside.. which got pulled out and discarded, shame on me...

PepperPorkBanhMiBrd.jpg

PepperPorkBanhMiBrd2.jpg

PepperPorkBanhMiBrd3.jpg

The meat for this was just pork chops, cut off the bone and sliced. Marinated in fish sauce, sugar, lime juice, lemongrass, garlic, lots of black pepper...
Then, since I am out of gas for the grill, I oiled a baking pan and broiled it...

PepperPorkBanhMiMeat.jpg

The toppings always include a sweet and sour carrot and radish salad, plus things like cucumber, hot peppers, cilantro, and a mayonnaise, which can be regular, spiced or some other spread...
PepperPorkBanhMiTpngs.jpg

And here's the sub ready for a Big Bite!
PepperPorkBanhMiSub.jpg

I was impressed. The meat was spicy but not overpowering; the bread was thin and crispy, which I like.. the toppings gave a nice balance.. you got sweet, salty, peppery, hot peppers, a bit of sweet... this was a true symphony of the senses!
sigh, it's all gone.......

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
OH LORD THAT BRINGS A TEAR TO THE EYE!! Yummy!!

Maybe to much hot peppers!! LOL

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
O.
M.
G.

I MUST have one of those right now!!!! :clap:

Awesome job!!!! Are you taking orders??????

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
Kimchee, that looks so good!
I like that you used sliced pork chops to make this!
So simple and practical.
As for the toppings, well.......... YUM! that HAD to have tasted gorgeous with pork and that beautiful bread.
K Koming for Kimchee again if I Kan lol

K

Kimchee

We have a local Pho cafe that has sandwiches on the menu. We always have the Pho, which everyone should try at least once.. it is that good.

Next time... I'm getting a sandwich too, just to see what they do with them.

(and I'm tempted to have another one of these tonight, but have some maters that
I need to use up, darn it.)
THanks!

PanchoHambre

OMG I love these sandwiches... used to eat them in Houston all the time. Not as easy t o find here. A friends Vietnamese mom made them for me once... YUM.... time for a trip to the asian grocery soon.