Beef and Guinness Stew

Ian M.

There's little else in the world that comes as close to pure heaven as this is! We visited my Dad yesterday for the day and he produced a huge pot of this to feed the troops, along with a large tossed salad and all the corn-on-the-cobb we could put away (and for us, that's a LOT of ears of corn!) and by the time we finished eating last night, the pot of stew was completely empty and all the homemade Irish soda bread was GONE!

Irish Beef and Guinness Stew -

Ingredients:

3 T vegetable oil
Approx. 2 lb. of chuck stew beef cut into small bite-sized pieces
3 medium-sized onions chopped coarsely
Approx. 1 1/2 cups of Julienned baby carrots
Approx. 1 1/2 cups of cut-up, cubed potatoes
Freshly ground black pepper
2 T A/P Flour
1/2 can beef connsomme'
1 (6 1/2 oz) bottle of Extra Stout Guinness
3 T dark brown sugar
2 T white or red wine vinegar

Directions:

Preheat oven to 250 degrees

In large-sized sauce or frying pan, place 2 tablespoons of the oil and add the salt to pan. Then, over low heat, add the beef and slowly brown meat until no pink is showing. When meat is entirely browned, remove from pan with slotted spoon and place in Dutch Oven and set aside. Add chopped onion to the same frying pan in the same oil used for the meat and brown the onion until translucent. Add onion to meat in Dutch Oven, season with pepper and set aside. Then add julienned carrots and new potatoes cubed in small pieces
to frying pan in the same oil, may need to add a little more oil to pan to keep things moist. Cook carrots and potatoes until cooked throughout - salt the veggies well and add these to the meat/onion mixture in the Dutch Oven.

In the frying pan, make a roux with the flour and the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil, browning slowly and stirring constantly to avoid scorching. Add the beef connsomme' and stir until the mixture is thickened and smooth with no lumps. Add the sauce to the Dutch Oven on top of meat and vegetables. Mix the Guinness with the vinegar and brown sugar, allowing the sugar to completely dissolve, and pour this mixture over the meat and veggies in the Dutch Oven. Cover Dutch Oven and place in preheated oven - cook for 2 hours at 250 degrees. Remove the cover, stir the stew and cook for an additional half-hour. Serve with a crisp green salad and the soda bread. You simply won't believe how delicious this is!! And remember to drink the remaining five bottles of Guinness Stout in the six-pack! Makes everything taste exceptional!!

The key to making this stew super is to cook things slowly. Trying to speed things up can only lead to scorch or outright burning the stew!

Enjoy.

note: Just as a side note, Dad told me that when he was shopping for the ingredients he'd need to make the stew he found a small plastic bag of tiny new potatoes - both red and white - that he used, whole, rather than cutting up larger-sized ones. Sounds like a good idea to me. They cooked up wonderfully in the stew and were perfectly done, having absorbed the flavours of the meat, spices and other veggies. They cooked with the peel on - or "jackets" as Dad calls them.

Last edited:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
Re: Beer and Guinness Stew

...slowly

amen to that. I've retired from the world of 2" thick steaks cooked in 40 seconds at 1600'F

slow is much more better!

Ian M.

Re: Beer and Guinness Stew

I just looked at the title on my recipe post and realized that in not being able to see what I typed correctly, I typed it wrong. It should be Beef and Guinness Stew! But I have no idea how to correct it on the post. Maybe someone smarter than me can do it (and that includes just about anyone!)

Ian

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I corrected it, Ian.

This recipe is on my 'to do' list!

Lee

Ian M.

Thanks much, Lee! Hopefully, following a week from today, I won't have this kind of embarrassing problem continuing any longer!

Ian

Johnny West

I do this 2-3 times a year. Last year Soupy emigrated to the Lower 48 as he was fed up with the draconian knife laws and has now even gotten into pistole shooting which he was never allowed to do in Scotland.

Here is the recipe that was sent to me by The Soup Monger who lives in Scotland and is a moderator on Jerzee Devils.

Steak and Guinness Pie

2 pounds of beef steak (blade, topside, gravy etc. - I use sirloin -), chopped into cubes (or as much as you want to last you the winter)
flour seasoned with salt and pepper
2 onions
optional veggies: Mushrooms, parsnips, carrots, etc.
750 ml bottle of Guinness (or your favourite stout, but then it isn't a Guinness pie) - I use 2 standard size bottles -
1 can of tinned tomatoes
salt and pepper
a couple of bay leaves
4 cloves of garlic
oil

Whole meal Pastry

Flour the beef, shake off excess and fry it off in small batches in a casserole dish or saucepan till browned.
Then, fry off onions, garlic and any veggies you want to add. Add the beef back and deglaze the pan with some of the Guinness. Add the tinned tomatoes and enough of the Guinness to just cover the meat, stir well too ensure that nothing has stuck to the bottom. Bring back up to temp, when just boiling turn the heat back down to a gentle simmer and put the lid on. Check back occasionally to ensure it isn't drying out and to give it a stir. Add more Guinness or some water if required. After approx. 2 hours when the meat is tender turn off the heat and let the mixture start to cool.

Line a pie dish with pastry, add the beef mixture and top with more pastry. Bake in a preheated oven at 180C (350 degrees F.) till the pastry is cooked and golden brown.

I do this a bit different and make it like a stew - I follow the recipe but leave it all in a dutch oven and put the biscuits on top to brown off. I also mix some arrowroot with the a little beer to thicken the "gravy".

Eat, and enjoy with some beer.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Both the stew and the pie recipes sound mouth-wateringly good! But, Ian, only 6 1/2 ounces of Guiness in your Dad's stew?

Johnny, I've always wanted to try a Steak and Guinness Pie!

Lee

Johnny West

Both the stew and the pie recipes sound mouth-wateringly good! But, Ian, only 6 1/2 ounces of Guiness in your Dad's stew?

Lee

Yes, more beer is better. I will say I'd rather have an IPA or lager to drink with it, though. I was never a fan of black beer - got knocked on my ass too many times in Germany.

I never get around to making the pie and just do it like a stew and float baking powder biscuits or Grands on top. The parsnips, onions, and mushrooms are what makes this. I use good quality steak, too - petit sirloin.

Johnny West

Here's what I do - the cat head biscuits are from scratch.
I don't mind using Grands, though.

file_2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

file-1_1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Ian M.

Lee

Twas! I'm not as dumb as I appear - although DW would disagree with that!!

Johnny West

I always use 2 bottles and save some to mix with the milk for a little gravy to thicken.

Lee, you asked about the dishes. Our good dishes are Spode Blue Italian. My brother gave me a huge set; I gave him my mother's good dishes which he's giving to nieces. I love using mine and have bought several nice serving dishes in Victoria but sadly my favorite shop closed.