Israeli Chicken

Rustpot

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]This is one of my family's favorit on Friday night.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1 chicken cut into quarters or 4 hind quarters.
2 tsp turmeric
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp garlic powder
Pepper/salt
Olive oil to coat pan
2 large onions ¼ or 3 small
5 or 6 chop garlic.
1/2 cup of wine

In a bowl, combine about 2 tsp each of turmeric, paprika, cumin, garlic powder. Sprinkle pepper/salt on each piece of chicken, and then rub the spice mixture on both sides of each piece of Chicken. Brown the chicken on both sides in olive oil. .in Dutch oven, Also, may need to add more oil as you brown the chicken. As each piece
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]browns[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif], remove it to another bowl. While browning, slice two large onions and chop garlic. After all of the chicken is browned, and removed from the Dutch oven , add the onions and garlic to the Dutch oven and sauté until wilted. Add about 1/2 cup of wine to the skillet to de-glaze the Dutch oven. Layer the chicken and onions in the Dutch oven. Cook on Med high for about 3 to 4 hours then turn down to low. Serve over rice or Cous-Cous.
[/FONT]

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, this sounds delicious!

Welcome to NCT, Rustpot!

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Welcome Rustpot :wave:. Your chicken dish sounds good. I need to branch out and try some new things. Thanks for the recipe.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hey, Rustpot - what is the chicken like after cooking it over medium heat for 3 or 4 hours?

Do you just pull out the bones and shred? The white meat isn't dry?

Lee

Rustpot

Hey, Rustpot - what is the chicken like after cooking it over medium heat for 3 or 4 hours?

Do you just pull out the bones and shred? The white meat isn't dry?

Lee

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]This recipe works best with 4 or more hind quarters. But! It is very good with all the bird. There will be lots of liquid in the pot as the bird cooks down, and the meat is very tender and falls off the bone. Give it a try! [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]PS. This recipe works best in a crock pot. [/FONT]

Last edited:
Sounds delicious - thanks!

I'm thinking that this would also work with one of my favorite "go to" chicken parts - bone-in skin-on thighs.