Burrata cheese

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Medtran has mentioned this cheese and posted a couple of photos of tomato salads she's made with it. I'd never heard of it before medtran.

So, when I was out to dinner last week, I saw on the menu an appetizer of sliced tomatoes, burrata, with sundried tomato sauce and pesto. Had to order it.

I LOVED it!!! I was going on and on about it, even after they brought my seared tuna steak entrée (which was "eh", compared with the salad).

It's a ball of mozzarella that has a solid "skin" on the outside, and creamy, oozy cheese on the inside. Like a cheese purse.

I was particularly impressed by the way the sundried tomato sauce worked with the burrata and fresh tomatoes, so I bought the stuff to make it at home. When garden tomatoes aren't in season, I buy Kumato tomatoes (the brown tomatoes) - they are delicious.

The top photo is the one I took at the restaurant (The Rudder, in Gloucester, MA - excellent and beautiful place on the harbor). The other photos are of my home salad.

Thank you, Medtran, for inspiring me AGAIN!!!

Lee

Attachments

• Tomato salad with Burrata, The Rudder.JPG
    Tomato salad with Burrata, The Rudder.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 934
  • Tomato burrata 1.JPG
    Tomato burrata 1.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 938
  • Tomato burrata 3, with beef and pickle stew.JPG
    Tomato burrata 3, with beef and pickle stew.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 957
  • Tomato burrata 2.JPG
    Tomato burrata 2.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 930

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
You're welcome. It is very, very good isn't it? I like the idea of using pesto as well. I bet the pesto I make with our oven-dried tomatoes would be great. Lovely plates all around!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I picked up a container of Burrata at Trader Joe's because I wanted to compare it to the Bel Giososo that I get at Stop & Shop.

There are TWO large balls of cheese in the TJ's container, each is at least twice the size of each of the five balls in the Bel Giososo container.

The taste and texture are the same, otherwise.

I prefer the smaller balls - each of them is just enough.'

This was lunch.

Lee

Attachments

• burrata 1.JPG
    burrata 1.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 933
  • burrata 2.JPG
    burrata 2.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 910