Steak and Guinness Stew

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
the absolute best use I every found for a dark Guiness was venison - you got some, right? try it - it's loveable!

Johnny West

Well, that didn't happen. S&G is on for tonight. I had a chuck steak and cut the eye out and will save that for the grill. The steak is defatted and will start the frying later this afternoon.

IMG_6474.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_6478.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Johnny West

Everything chopped up and in the dutch oven....

carrots, potatoes, parsnip, onion, garlic, home canned tomatoes, crimini mushrooms and a half tsp of marjoram

IMG_6486.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

add two bottles of Guinness

IMG_6496.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

brought to a boil, then simmered on the hob till veg done - added three tbs flour and milk for gravy and thickened - added biscuits, placed in a 375 degree F oven for 20 minutes till browned

IMG_6502.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Johnny West

Thanks Ms Muffin. I have to say it was one of my better offerings but then haven't made it since St. Patrick's Day and was hungry for it. I could fix this once a month but think the next stew will be the Hungarian goulas. I'm craving smoked paprika.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Ms Muffin. I have to say it was one of my better offerings but then haven't made it since St. Patrick's Day and was hungry for it. I could fix this once a month but think the next stew will be the Hungarian goulas. I'm craving smoked paprika.
Welcome!

Your simple tutorial and fabulous pictures blew me away.

I WILL be making this once the cold weather gets here.
Oh, I love your CI dutch oven.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Fabulous, Johnny!

Delicious-looking food and I love your soup plate!

Sass, I have the exact same Dutch oven. It works perfectly well, since it's seasoned nicely. Never felt the need to spring for a Le Creuset.

Someday, I think I'd like to get into Dutch oven competitive cooking. Looks like fun, requiring considerably less effort and endurance than competitive barbecue.

Lee

Johnny West

I have a large collection of cast iron and love cooking in the dutch oven and all my skillets. I keep a stack on the stove and have more in the garage. And with all the CI there is a huge set of All Clad that is the best stainless out there. I have four dutch ovens, one oval Wagner that is very rare, and a Martha Stewart oval roaster that is a knockoff of a La Creuset which I enjoy using but seldom do. My favorites are one skillet that went through a tornado and a Wagner chicken fryer a friend gave me. Rick, at Rick's Rub, sent me a Griswold cover for it. I put it on the back of the hob, upside down, and use it as a warmer.

I have to say the Steak and Guinness I made was one of my better offerings. The chuck steak was so tender and look forward to grilling the eye.

Johnny West

Last night the mrs said she'd do dinner and made Steak and Guinness Stew with gluten free dumplings. She used a recipe she found on the net and it came out pretty good. I'm ready to do it again.
####Steak and Guinness.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
This recipe is in my archives, but I haven't tried it yet. Bet I'd love it!

Lee

Johnny West

This recipe is in my archives, but I haven't tried it yet. Bet I'd love it!

Lee

This a favorite of ours. I’m doing it as she over bought parsnips. I found two long out of date fillet mignons in the freezer so am splurging on steak. I’ll cheat and use Pillsbury Biscuits.

Johnny West

A gal at a facebook group I go wanted the recipe. All my amounts are estimations of what I think will fill the dutch oven. This is what I posted to her.

"It’s pretty much the same as beef stew except I use sirloin I cut up myself. I flour the meat and fry in canola or safflower oil, set meat aside then add cut up onions, carrots, potatoes, mushrooms, and parsnips; a clove of chopped garlic, salt and pepper to taste, and Marjoram (tsp). To this I add two cans of Guinness and let it simmer till the veg is mostly done Then I add the meat back, and adjust the fluid. Usually it makes it’s own gravy but sometimes have to add flour and milk. Last night it was fine but had to add more beer and could have used more. When it is mostly done I add Pillsbury Grands and place in a 375 degree F oven for 15 min. or so till the biscuits are browned nicely."

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It looks wonderful, John - right down to the biscuits!

Lee