Sattie's Salsa

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
I was about to take a nap and while laying there, I was suddenly inspired to make some salsa. I just went with my instincts. This turned out wonderful and it has a nice heat to it that you will definately notice once you stop eating it.

Enjoy!!!

Sattie's Salsa

3 or 4 med tomatoes - quartered
3 serrano peppers - sliced in half length wise
1/2 white onion - quartered
3 cloves garlic - leave whole with the skins on
1 lime - you will only need about half of the lime
1 carrot - peeled and cut in chunks
2 T scotch whiskey
1 t kosher salt
1/2 t sugar
1/2 t cumin
2 T chopped fresh cilantro

Set oven to 400. Lightly spray 2 baking pans with cooking spray. Quarter tomatoes, sprinkle lightly with kosher salt and place in baking pan and roast for 15 minutes. While tomatoes are roasting, quarter the white onion and add to the 2nd baking pan along with 3 cloves of garlic (un peeled), serrano peppers sliced in half length wise (cut side down), and 2 lime wedges. Sprinkle lightly with salt and place in the oven with the tomatoes. Take this opportunity to turn the tomatoes so that the skins are facing up. Continue roasting for another 10 minutes. Turn oven to broil and let the veggies and fruit char. About 3 to 5 minutes.

Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes. In a blender, add carrot, roasted onion, 3 halves of the roasted serrano’s (you can add more for hotter, I used 5 slices), scrape the guts of the roasted lime (it will be brown and gooey). Blend a bit to chop up. Now add the tomatoes and scrape out any of the yummy stuff in the pan into the blender, salt, sugar, cumin, and whiskey. Cut another wedge of lime and squeeze into blender. Blend to desired consistency. You can add a bit of water to thin it out a bit; I only used about 2 T. Add chopped fresh cilantro and stir. Serve warm and promptly chill left overs.

Derek

Banned
I was about to take a nap and while laying there, I was suddenly inspired to make some salsa. I just went with my instincts. This turned out wonderful and it has a nice heat to it that you will definately notice once you stop eating it.

Enjoy!!!

Sattie's Salsa

2 T scotch whiskey
1 t kosher salt
1/2 t sugar
1/2 t cumin

Set oven to 400. Lightly spray 2 baking pans with cooking spray. Quarter tomatoes, sprinkle lightly with kosher salt and place in baking pan and roast for 15 minutes. While tomatoes are roasting, quarter the white onion and add to the 2nd baking pan along with 3 cloves of garlic (un peeled), serrano peppers sliced in half length wise (cut side down), and 2 lime wedges. Sprinkle lightly with salt and place in the oven with the tomatoes. Take this opportunity to turn the tomatoes so that the skins are facing up. Continue roasting for another 10 minutes. Turn oven to broil and let the veggies and fruit char. About 3 to 5 minutes.

Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes. In a blender, add carrot, roasted onion, 3 halves of the roasted serrano’s (you can add more for hotter, I used 5 slices), scrape the guts of the roasted lime (it will be brown and gooey). Blend a bit to chop up. Now add the tomatoes and scrape out any of the yummy stuff in the pan into the blender, salt, sugar, cumin, and whiskey. Cut another wedge of lime and squeeze into blender. Blend to desired consistency. You can add a bit of water to thin it out a bit; I only used about 2 T. Add chopped fresh cilantro and stir. Serve warm and promptly chill left overs.
Sattie, Your salsa looks very good froma recipe view, But I do have to ask? Where's the heat?

I don't see Jalapeno, Habenero, Scotch Bonnets, Naga Doreset, Bhut Jooklya, or even serreno's.

Cheers.

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady

Enjoy!!!

Sattie's Salsa

2 T scotch whiskey
1 t kosher salt
1/2 t sugar
1/2 t cumin

Derek... the heat is there!!!

Derek

Banned
Well Serreno's are very MILD heat, but I'm sorry I miss read your post Sattie, I hope you forgive me, Please pretty please :)

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
Derek... absolutely forgiven.... the serrano's I got were pretty darned hot, I'm really glad I did not add that last bit.

The carrot gave it a bit of sweetness and I like the color it imparted.

Buzz... nope, no nap yet!!!

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
I use jalapeno's in mine, but ,that scotch in it sounds good!! Never roasted the tomatoes first either. I'll have to try yours girlfriend, sounds awesome!

smoke king

Banned
Ooooh that does sound good!! I've never added scotch to a salsa before, but I will now! OK if I use my habs/bonnets instead ? I like a lot of heat......

Thanks for sharing!:wink:

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
Yea... I got several bottles of whiskey that my MIL gave us and we don't drink it. So I have been using it in cooking when I can. I thought it may be a little risque, but it worked out.

I'm making some fried chicken tomorrow, it is sitting in a marinade of buttermilk, cayenne, tarragon, onions, and WHISKEY..... I'll let you know how it turns out!

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
Yea... I got several bottles of whiskey that my MIL gave us and we don't drink it. So I have been using it in cooking when I can. I thought it may be a little risque, but it worked out.

I'm making some fried chicken tomorrow, it is sitting in a marinade of buttermilk, cayenne, tarragon, onions, and WHISKEY..... I'll let you know how it turns out!

:ohmy::ohmy: not drink it??? what's wrong with you woman??

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
I don't know... I guess I'm not a whiskey person. Me likes my champange!!!

Oh.. another note, I blended my smooth. I don't like chunky salsas. So this may have a totally different taste profile if you do it chunky style.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I like the way that you thought of i. I get a lot of ideas too when I am trying to rest.

Andy

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Yup! Just wish it would let me have a little rest fist. Then when that idea pops in you just can't rest.

pugger

Enjoy!!!

Sattie's Salsa
scotch whiskey
Mebbe it was cellular static, but the massidge ah got wuz the abub :beer:
Good ting ahh gotz scotch, hic!:dizzy: