400 lbs. onions, peeled
100 lbs. Irish potatoes, cooked
40 lbs. fatback meat, cut up
40 lbs. margarine
16 lbs. flour, cooked, for crumbs
1 lb. red pepper
2 lbs. black pepper
2 lbs. salt

Two days ahead, make bread for crumbs. One day ahead, slaughter sheep. Chill overnight. Day of stew, at 5 a.m., put cut-up meat in 4 large black pots. Keep a fifth pot full of hot water to add to stew. Add fatback. At 6 a.m., have meat boiling. At 8 a.m., add onions and cook stew fast in the a.m.

At 1 to 2 p.m., reduce to a slow boil. Pick out bones. Return to fast boil. Add salt and peppers to taste a little at a time. At 3 p.m., add margarine. At 4 p.m., add cooked, mashed potatoes. Stir constantly. Now, at 4:30 p.m., add bread crumbs. At 5 p.m., ready to dip into containers.

From Seasoned with Love, the Perserverance Church Cookbook, by Helen Daniel and the Friendship Circle, in honor of the Dundas Ruritan Club and in memory of Buddy Wilkinson.

Note: According to the book "The Lunenburg Legacy," this stew was made by the men of the community as a fundraiser. They sold it in quart containers and always sold out. "They cooked it in huge pots outdoors or in a shed, stirring it with paddles for twelve hours. The younger men, assumed to be stronger, get to stir the last shift because it is really thick and has to be stirred hard to keep it from burning."

Someone even made a documentary of it: The Sheep Stew of Dundas: A Gastronomical Delight

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
We had a slightly smaller version for dinner on New Year's Eve.

:)

Lee

Fe Stomach

You know, I've eaten some roast from a Dall Sheep, I have never had a naturally sweeter meat in all my life. I would pay good money to find a chunk of roast like that again!!

Sorry, don't mean to hijack this thread.

Scotty