How do you make your grilled cheese sandwich?

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
who would have thought there are so many ways to make a grilled cheese sandwich?
Here are some ways I found on the internet .....

Add your favorite to this thread please. :D

You can have grilled cheese any way you please - even if it's on the sweet side.

first a survey question:
What's the role of butter in a grilled cheese sandwich?

Just on the outside of the bread 55.8%
The pan and the outside of the bread 16.7%
It should be on every surface, pan and bread 13.2%
Just the pan or press 7%
No butter at all 2.9%
Just one side, outside 1.6%
The pan and the inside of the bread 1.1%
Just the inside of the bread 0.8%
Just one side, inside 0.2%
Other 0.7%

How do you make yours?

Grilled cheese w/ grape jelly

Rye bread and Brie cheese. There's something about the sharp saltiness of the rye combined with the earthy, creamy Brie that is a perfect combination.

The best grilled cheese I have ever had was at L'emporte-piece in Montreal. Made in French style with cheese like Mamirolle, Bleu-Ermite, Appenzzeller. Don't think you'll ever find anywhere in the world grilled cheese as good as there.

Indiana Jones
Swiss cheese is best on rye. The two flavors are perfect together.

briana
My personal trick is to add cream cheese along with solid cheeses; I like to use a veggie cream cheese and then provolone and cheddar.

southtejas
I love the good cheeses of the world, but for grilled cheese, I keep it simple. White bread, thick sliced Velveeta, fresh sliced tomato, potato chips to scoop up the oozing cheese with sweet pickles on the side.

chuck
A good hearty white bread buttered on the outside and sliced extra sharp cheddar cheese on the inside.

Maria
Sourdough with fontina and mozarella with black truffles

mike
Outsides of the bread buttered. Aged cheddar cheese (at least 3 years). Bread lightly browned.

Henry Miller
Rye bread, buttered on the outside, gouda, and chopped bacon. If you enjoy living alone, garlic powder instead of bacon.

Wilson
Use any cheese you wish so long as it is not American. New England or Irish Cheddar is great.

We say yea to mayo and Crisco!

MaxOfPahrump
No butter. Spread mayonnaise on both the inside and outside of both pieces of bread, grill normally. Really crisp and crunchy!

Bill
I discovered the mayonnaise trick a year or so ago, and I'm never going back to butter. A thin coat of mayo on the outside of each slice, and a perfect, crispy sandwich results every time. My kids love 'em, my wife loves 'em. It's definitely worth a try!

Bubba
The grilled cheeses of my youth were made with Crisco, not butter. They seem to taste better!

Muss? Fuss? Worth it.

Tom in Kansas
I like to use slices of whole wheat bread from a nearby Amish Bakery, A nice pepper jack or onion cheddar and put some long-sliced bread and butter pickles in the center. Butter the outsides and sprinkle on a light coating of garlic powder. Instead of a griddle, I put them on my pizza stone and bake them at 385 degrees for 7 minutes on one side and 6 on the other. Perfection every time.

bubbaleroy
Unsalted butter, outside of bread only, cheese grated NOT cut. Cut diagonally and sprinkled w/sea salt.

Bill
Don't use the mass market stuff – get the cheese from the deli counter have them slice it thin. Cheese needs to cover the entire slice of bread. Swiss can be a little oily when it melts so you need to use a hearty bread. Butter the bread to the edges for even cooking.

Use a pre-heated skillet or griddle (very important!) over medium heat for about two minutes per side. I prefer a stainless skillet, but non-stick is ok.

Or...not

Tim W
I had a roommate in college whose girlfriend's idea of a grilled cheese sandwich was to toast two pieces of bread in a toaster, then spray in some cheese-in-a-can in the middle, then microwave the resultant sandwich until it was warm again. That was the way her mother taught her, and she didn't know there was a more common way to do it.

John
I just slapped a Kraft single between two slices of bread, sprayed it with a little cooking spray on the outside, and popped it in the toaster.

Dan
I like my drunk man's version after getting home from the bars: White bread, American cheese slices- put bread in toaster, then put cheese between bread, microwave for 12 seconds. No fear of starting a fire and it's much quicker!

Anon_e_mouse
The very WORST grilled cheese of all time: Limburger and Gorgonzola on thickly-sliced dark bread. When I was in college and still living at home many years ago I worked for a rather eccentric older couple – both writers – who lived nearby, doing various odd jobs around their house – everything from painting to proofreading manuscripts to doing the laundry and preparing many of their meals. Whenever I was around at lunchtime the gentleman would ask me to fix him a grilled cheese sandwich – two half-inch-thick slices of dark bread, buttered on the outside, spread with Limburger on both slices and filled with crumbled Gorgonzola. The whole house reeked and I'd find an excuse to go do some job outside or down in the basement, where the stench didn't penetrate as well.

Getting fancy with fillings

Zelda
Add some roasted green chile to it and it's perfection. Well, maybe a slice of RIPE tomato, too, but the chile is what elevates it.

Eardley in Woodbury, MN
Dip in genuine Tabasco hot sauce!

ER
Worcestershire sauce!

destcarlo
I prefer spicy brown mustard (on the inside), and American cheese. And sometimes I will try fruit or vegetables in between the cheese and mustard such as sliced tomatoes or bananas.

Mitch
Putting a layer of thin sliced pepperoni between the cheese layer adds some zip to the taste.

Myrio
There is NOTHING like grilled cheese and GRAPE JELLY!!! Yum, Yum!!! Don't knock it until you've tried it. The absolute best!

Kel
I can't eat a grilled cheese without GRAPE JELLY! Amazing!

Bobert1965
Bread buttered on the outside, three slices of American and topped off with peanut butter!

Erlinda
My grandmother used to make me grilled cheese, pineapple and bacon sandwiches. 2 slices of white bread (today, I only use 7 grain bread); butter one side of each slice of bread; grate some extra sharp cheddar cheese, and put just enough to cover unbuttered sides of the bread; put one sliced of drained, canned pineapple on top of one slice of cheddar cheesed bread; put two slices of broken in half soft, chewy bacon on the other slice of cheddar cheesed bread.

Sprinkle both breads with enough shredded cheese to cover the bacon and pineapple. At this point: put both breads open-faced, under the broiler, until the cheese melts. Slap the two breads together and broil 30 seconds on each side, OR sandwich the breads, and grill in a pan.

Current favorite: Grilled Pimiento Cheese and Bacon: Shred 1 lb. sharp cheddar cheese; with a fork, mash a large jar of drained pimientos; mix cheese and pimientos together; adding at least 1/4 cup mayonnaise. For each sandwich, use about 1/2 c. pimiento mixture, spread between two slices of bread.

Grill or toast the sandwich. For extra yumminess, crumble bacon in the cheese. [Editor's note: Erlinda? May we please come over for lunch ? Pleeeaassse? We'll do the dishes and everything.]

And many, many, many folks just like to stick with the classics.

Tom
2 slices Wonder white bread. 2 slices Kraft American cheese. Serve with Campbell's tomato soup on the side.

That is why God gave men taste buds!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Wow, that’s a lot. Mine is pretty simple. Butter on outside of both pieces of bread. Drop one piece in a hot pan, add cheese, cover with other piece of bread. Flip when brown - do NOT press down!

I occasionally put the sandwich in the George Foreman and grill it that way.

Sometimes I add ham.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I melt the butter, not margarine, in the pan, sop it up with the bread (one side of each slice), velveeta cheese in the middle. Flip when golden brown and crispy. Like Keltin, I never mash it. I do like to add a nice thick slice of vine ripe tomato sometimes but the tomato has to be sandwiched between the cheese.

mhend

Mine is pretty simple too...just melt the butter in the pan and flip when it's crispy. And I'm with Mama and Keltin. I don't mash it down either.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
>>just melt the butter in the pan and flip when it's crispy.

me three.

but sometimes I cheat - when the bread is just right but the cheese isn't quite gooey enough I nuke it for 10-15 seconds.

hand sliced block cheddars for me, tho - mebbe 1/4 inch thick.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Butter on the outsides of the bread, put one slice in a hot skillet, top with Velveeta, top that with another slice of buttered bread, and cook until brown and crispy on both sides. I like Campbell's tomato soup made with milk on the side.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
No Velveeta or processed cheese for us - hope that doesn't offend anyone! Butter both sides of the bread, add sliced cheddar or swiss or manchego, put it on the griddle (no need to butter the griddle). Flip when the first side is brown and crispy. Turn heat down, put a lid over it to make sure cheese melts. Don't mash it! You don't want the luscious goodness to seep out the sides. Really good with tomato soup, for sure.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Butter melted in pan for the bottom slice of bread that hits the pan first. Top slice of bread buttered with very soft butter all the way to the edges.

Most times its white bread (thats what hub likes) and velvetta sometimes with tomato and/or crispy bacon sandwiched between cheese slices. (If its only tomato and cheese, I add a sprinkle of oregano, salt and pepper to the tomato.)Tip: Cut the velvetta with unflavored dental floss.

I like rye bread with swiss and american cheese sometimes with thin sliced ham between the cheese slices.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Just like most of you.
Buttered side down in pan, slices of Velveeta singles-another slice bread, butter side up, flip, do not smash.
I also like to make them on a pan under the broiler, makes the crust nice and crispy, or open faced under the broiler topped with some brown sauce (HP) or sprinkles of worcestershire= English Cheese Toast.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Just like most of you.
Buttered side down in pan, slices of Velveeta singles-another slice bread, butter side up, flip, do not smash.

I like them just like that Sass with one major difference. Put Mayo / Miracle Whip on the inside of the bread with the cheese. What a difference that makes. Abby learned to make them that way from her grandma and it's been a winner in our house ever since.

I have never tried one on rye with swiss but after reading this thread I do plan to try it that way soon.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I like them just like that Sass with one major difference. Put Mayo / Miracle Whip on the inside of the bread with the cheese. What a difference that makes. Abby learned to make them that way from her grandma and it's been a winner in our house ever since.

I have never tried one on rye with swiss but after reading this thread I do plan to try it that way soon.

I like them with mayo too, which I've stated before on here.. :whistle:.. also with some thin sliced beef and bbq sauce on the inside... but then, it's no longer just a grilled cheese, is it? :lol:

buckytom

Grill Master
man, the brie on rye sounds really good. and i just happen to have a wheel of brie that's looking for a mouth to fill...

you know, come to think of it, i can't recall ever making a grilled cheese sammich. not once, ever.

i've seen dw make them many times though, in sort of an open faced fashion.

she toasts whole wheat bread (or some kind of whole grain), then adds just a bit of butter and kraft american cheese slices to the top side of each slice of toast, then puts them under the toaster/broiler to melt the cheese. when it's nice and gooey and just browning a bit, she puts the cheesey sides together to make the sandwich.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oh, BT, PLEASE make a grilled cheese sandwich with buttered bread and some sort of American, cheddar or even Velveeta!

It's the ultimate quick comfort food!

I can't believe you've never made one!!

Lee

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
my classic is a buttered pan, sheesh, 1 tbsp. @ least. plain 'ol smushy bead then 2 slices land-'o-lakes cheese; layer on another slice of bread. when golden, flip & cook that half in extra butter. smush that sammich flat using a spatula.

soups very important for the dipping of this delightful sammich.

although another 1 i luv:
multigrain bread, avacado, provolone layered on, a few other items that vary, then cook as above. aw, those gooey stretchy strands of cheese.....:wub:

Thanks, mh. It's good stuff. Actually, the link is more about fried mozzarella, than a sandwich - but, the smoked tomato sauce looks/sounds so yummy too. (I must have mozzarella on the brain today.)

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
OH SASS!! One of my FAV things is to toast an english muffin then butter it. Place cheese on each 1/2 of the buttered muffin and place under broiler till golden and bubbly!! Now I have a MEAN craving!! :shock:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
OH SASS!! One of my FAV things is to toast an english muffin then butter it. Place cheese on each 1/2 of the buttered muffin and place under broiler till golden and bubbly!! Now I have a MEAN craving!! :shock:

I've never tried that but dadgum if it doesn't sound good!

lilylove

On top of one piece of white bread, spread a little mayo top a little cheddar cheese, top that with some ham, thin sliced onion, mushroom and then with a combo of Swiss and cheddar cheeses, top that with another slice of bread. Butter the outsides of both breads. Lay on a piece of tin foil and place in a preheated oven (450) cook for about five minutes or until golden brown, Flip over and cook until that side is nice and brown. I have to have tomato soup and milk with mine. If it's wintery outside hot chocolate can take the place of milk.

( I know it's not really "grilled" but that's how we eat them here. :) )

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Sounds very good, LL. It would be hard to grill a sandwich with that much "goodies" in it. I bet it is delicious.

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
I put butter/garlic/dehydrated onion side down, shred sharp cheddar and the next piece goes on and the butter. I love to shred some of the cheese off of the bread to cook it crisp around the sandwich.

buckytom

Grill Master
Oh, BT, PLEASE make a grilled cheese sandwich with buttered bread and some sort of American, cheddar or even Velveeta!

It's the ultimate quick comfort food!

I can't believe you've never made one!!

Lee

ok ok! lol.

i have some nice vermont cheddar to be used up. we're going up to vermont next week for a few days, so i can pick up some more.

i was thinking of a welsh rarebit for the cheddar, along with tomatoes from the garden, and a little coleman's mustard and worcestershire on crusty whole wheat toast.

K

Kimchee

Sit at table, eat when it is delivered!

Dr. wife is the grilled cheese Top Chef in the house, and she's good too!

:)

abi_csi

Butter on the outside of wholemeal bread, mature cheddar, red onion and tomato inside. Chuck it in the sandwich maker, serve with a cup of tea. Comfort food. Mmmmm!

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Lipton chicken noodle soup and grilled American & Swiss cheese sandwiches PERFECT together!!

110410_grilled_cheese.jpg