My version of a Sloppy Joe

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I make an Asian style peanut sauce using peanut butter too over noodles. I prefer the roasted type all natural peanut butters for that too. I've never used the TJ but have been buying one from Whole Foods just forget the brand name on it.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I make an Asian style peanut sauce using peanut butter too over noodles. I prefer the roasted type all natural peanut butters for that too. I've never used the TJ but have been buying one from Whole Foods just forget the brand name on it.
It's fantastic. Just like what mom would buy at the health food store in the 60's and 70's. The oil floats to the top and you stir it in. You have to keep it in the fridge because for no preservitives and it never separates agin. I had forgotten how GOOD and "peanutty" natural peanut butter tasted!! Peter Pan is good but it and all the others are loaded with sugar and they replace the peanut oil with other oils.

BTW I also have an asian peanut sauce/noodle dish I make and can't wait to try it with TJ PB!!

Last edited:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
The stuff I get at Whole Foods is also like that with no additives. I've just never bought anything from Trader Joe's before since they aren't around me. I'm not much on the processed peanut butters as a rule and have made my own in the past though not for a few years now due mostly to the WF one I found.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
I use the dry packet to make sloppy joe's :sorry::hide:

when i get my magic bullet or go find a coffee grinder, i will send you a mixture of my packet chili mixture which can double as a sloppy joe mixture with less heat added if you wish.

Yeah DW doctors her McCormicks mix also, then still adds the manwich. Without the manwich it was okay, with it I really don't like it, it's not the sweet but I can't put my finger on it.

i am not fond of cinnamon and i believe there is a small amount added to manwich....no matter how lean ground beef or how well you drain, there always seems to be a greasy texture to it.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
when i get my magic bullet or go find a coffee grinder, i will send you a mixture of my packet chili mixture which can double as a sloppy joe mixture with less heat added if you wish.

I have no fear of heat Bams and would love to give it a try. I use a Bruan Coffee grinder to do my spice blends up. I have a couple of them one just for hot peppers only that I use after I dehydrate them.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
I have no fear of heat Bams and would love to give it a try. I use a Bruan Coffee grinder to do my spice blends up. I have a couple of them one just for hot peppers only that I use after I dehydrate them.

i know ur not afraid of heat..lol

If you make extra I'd love a packet too Bams. :thumb:

about to call the person with the magic bullet right now..

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter

i am not fond of cinnamon and i believe there is a small amount added to manwich....no matter how lean ground beef or how well you drain, there always seems to be a greasy texture to it.
Thats a wonderful offer Bams Thank you!

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I'll be making Joe's original posted recipe for the sloppy joes on... ummm..Monday?
I've got my meal plans figured for the next 4 days and I really want to make this recipe.
It should freeze well, I should think.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I use the dry packet to make sloppy joe's :sorry::hide:

Now why on earth would you do that?

All it takes is some ground beef cooked in a skillet.
Then add some mustard, ketchup, cumin, garlic, worcestershire sauce, pepper,chopped green pepper, onion... and if you like it sweet, a pinch or two of brown sugar.
It's got to be a little soupy, and you should allow it to sit and simmer for a while.

I have never made sloppy joes using anything from a packet or a jar.
It's one of those things you go to when you can't think of anything else to make for your family, fast! LOL

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Contradictory lore suggests that the Original Sloppy Joe Sandwich was invented at Sloppy Joe's Bar in Key West, Florida or by a cook named Joe at a cafe in Sioux City, Iowa as a variation of the popular "loose meat" sandwich (which does not contain tomato sauce).
Wiki

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I just thought this thread needed some pictures.

Attachments

• sloppy joe 2.jpg
    sloppy joe 2.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 178

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I'll be making Joe's original posted recipe for the sloppy joes on... ummm..Monday?
I've got my meal plans figured for the next 4 days and I really want to make this recipe.
It should freeze well, I should think.

I don't know about it freezing well, Sass. It tends to go fast around this place especially if the grand kids are here. :whistling: I usually triple the amounts when making it.

Phiddlechik

I prefer a more barbeque flavor to mine, brown sugar, catsup, mustard, some pickle juice, onion. We called them "slushburgers."
Loose meat sandwich in Iowa, like Maidrite?

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Loose Meat Sandwiches
1 lb hamburger
1 medium onion, minced
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 can of coca cola (12 oz)
one half tsp salt
1 Tbsp freshly ground pepper
soft hamburger buns
yellow mustard
pickles
fry hamburger breaking it up as it's cooking.
When hamburger is cooked be sure to drain off the grease.

Add minced onion, salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce. Cook on low and
stir mixture for about 3 minutes. Add the 12 oz can of coca cola. Stir
to blend and then continue cooking on low to medium. Let meat simmer for
20 minutes till liquid is absorbed into the meat.
To serve, spread mustard on bottom of bun and add a few pickles. Place a
large mound of the meat mixture onto the bottom of the bun, then add top
of bun and serve.

abi_csi

Once you pick one up to eat it you will understand the name. I not sure where this came from but I've eaten them since my grandmother used to make them when I was a kid. Probably comes from so depression dish as it can be very inexpensive to make.

I was wondering what I wanted for dinner tonight and decided on making this with some home made Cajun fries.

Sounds great with the Cajun Fries - I've got the ingredients and will be making it tonight as a New Year Day treat - can't wait!

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Made the sloppy Joe's today with all of the 'optional' ingredients. Very tasty. Much better than the ones we normally have with manwich sauce.

Thanks for a keeper Joe!!!!!! :thumb:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Glad you enjoyed them Doc. I've never been a fan of manwich stuff though do like some of the old el paso seasonings.

BUMP!

I thought I remembered this thread. Ya know Joe, I've never had a sloppy Joe. I thought about you when I came across a variation with...

BACON!:pig:

Bacon Sloppy Joe's
Serves 4

4 slices bacon, chopped
1 medium onion
2 celery ribs, finely chopped
1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
3/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
1 dash salt
1 dash pepper
4 hamburger buns, toasted

In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat for 5 minutes.

Add onion, celery, bell pepper, and garlic.

Cook until vegetables are softened, about 7 minutes; push to side of the skillet, add ground beef and cook, stirring to break up clumps, until cooked through, about 7 minutes.

Stir in the ketchup and Worcestershire sauce and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes more. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve on toasted buns