Andy's Marinera sauce

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Andy's Marinera sauce

I keep wanting pasta during the week. I have been avoiding “Jar Sauces” because they often include sugar or HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup) as major players. I have found tow sauces that do not RAO's and La Victoria do not have sugar added. In my opinion Rao's is really good sauce. It is, however $10.00 a jar. Anyway, I decided to make sauce to have on hand. I usually make a meat sauce, but decided to try my hand at Marinara. First a trip to Wilipedia to make sure I was applying the correct term. Check. Then look up a few recopies to get the idea. Check. OK so what have I learned? There are lots of ways to make this stuff, so wing it. Here we go.

Ingredients:

6 Cloves Garlic, minced
½ cup Extra Virgin Olive oil
1 Medium to large onion
2 – 28 oz cans Tomato sauce
1 – 28 ox can Crushed tomatoes
1 14 oz can Diced tomatoes (Nothing but the tomatoes)
1 12 oz can Tomato paste
2 heaping Tbsp Basil
1 heaping Tbsp Fennel seeds
1 heaping Tbsp Italian seasonings
Generous pinch Salt
¾ Cup Chianti wine
1 Peeled potato, any kind

Procedure

• Put the Olive Oil in a stock pot and heat it.
  • Add the Garlic and simmer it a bit, don't let it burn.
  • Add all the tomato products.
  • Turn the heat up to bring it to a boil.
  • While it is heating add the onion and seasonings.
  • Add the wine.
  • Add a whole potato, peeled.
  • When it just starts to boil, turn it down to simmer and simmer 3 hours or so, covered.
  • Stir it every once and a while.
  • After that, remove the potato and discard or eat it, I do the latter. I find that the potato takes the sharp edge off the tomato products.
  • When it cools, I portion and frieze it. Voila! Spaghetti sauce.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Interesting concept of the potato though. This is why I'm so particular about the brands of canned tomatoes I use in my tomato sauce. I only use three brands using other for other things but never sauces.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Hi Joe - I try to use good stuff. I think I do. I certainly do not shop by price. I just finf that the potato makes it all well. I also do it in Chili. My daughter tried it and now her husband will eat chili without reaching for the rolaids.

The potato is pretty tasty BTW. I got this from my mom.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I've often used potatoes raw potatoes in chili also as well as soups where I got a little heavy handed with the salt. Just never thought of it in tomato sauce but I have saved it for future consideration. I've had sauces made by others that probably could use this idea though, especially when I have to reach for the pink liquid in the bottle after dinner.