Marlboro Man Sandwich

homecook

This comes from the site www.PioneerWoman.com
This sandwich is to die for. It's very rich.

1-2 lbs. cube steak
1 large onion or 2 small/medium
4 French/Deli rolls
About 2 sticks of butter
Lawry's seasoned salt
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
Tabasco sauce

Slice the onions. Cook them in 1/4 stick butter until soft and light brown. Remove from skillet and set aside.
Slice cube steak into 1/2 inch thick strips, slicing against the grain. Season with Lawry's.
In same skillet, heat 2 T. butter over high heat until melted and beginning to brown. Add steak in single layer. Cook one side til brown, flip and cook other side.
Now add at least 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce and 5 to 6 shakes of Tabasco, depending on your heat level. Add another 2 T. of butter. Add cooked onions. Stir to combine.
Halve and butter French roll and brown on separate skillet.
To assemble, lay the bottom half of roll on a plate. Place meat mixture, followed by a spoonful of juice from the pan. I add swiss cheese and top with other half of roll. Put back in skillet and heat til cheese melts. Slice in half and devour!!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Chowhound will be all over this one; probably have TWO of them for dinner!

:)

Lee

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
That does sound good. :thumb:

Much better than the oatmeal I'm having for breakfast!

Love2"Q"

this is a fantastic sandwich ...
i was not sold on it the first time i madeit ..
but now i make it usually once a month ..

homecook

I hear you Love2"Q"......my dh and ds are the same way. I love them too!

You're welcome livesaver!!

Love2"Q"

i make mine a smidgen different ...
i like to serve them like french dip sandwiches ..
not sure if that how they made them on that sight ..

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I missed it too. Good bump lifesaver!!!!! :thumb:
And thanks for sharing Barb. :D

homecook

I've made this numerous times and I made it again tonight. Here's the pics.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 233
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 221
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 220
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 925
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 254
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 217
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 249

Deelady

Great pics!!! Even though I have a beef aversion right now...that would bring me back to eating it!!! (well I would at least try my damndest!!YUM!

chowhound

Beautiful. I've got some cube steaks in the freezer, too.
Is there really a grain to cube steak? The kind I get look like they've been tenderized... or woven together or something. I use them for chicken fried steak and never noticed a grain.

suziquzie

sigh..... I was going to start eating like a good girl again this week.

If DH was feeling better I'd make this tonight for sure!
Better get some cube steaks..... ya know.... just in case :)

homecook

Great pics!!! Even though I have a beef aversion right now...that would bring me back to eating it!!! (well I would at least try my damndest!!YUM!

Thanks Dee! Maybe it won't last long and you'll be able to make it soon. lol

need to make these again soon ...

Get on it Love2! lol

Is there really a grain to cube steak? The kind I get look like they've been tenderized... or woven together or something. I use them for chicken fried steak and never noticed a grain.

I actually tried to look for that this time when I was slicing them. I guess if you really look good you could find it, I didn't and it came out fine. I thought that's why they're tenderized so there isn't a grain. lol

sigh..... I was going to start eating like a good girl again this week.

If DH was feeling better I'd make this tonight for sure!
Better get some cube steaks..... ya know.... just in case :)

Yes, you better buy the cube steaks.........cuz you know you're gonna make them. :D

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
that looks so gooooooooooooooood!!

you know it kinda sounds like buffalo steak due to the butter and tabasco sauce. which sounds yummy!! I wonder how it would taste with a bit of blue cheese dressing on top instead of or along with the cheese.

homecook

that looks so gooooooooooooooood!!

you know it kinda sounds like buffalo steak due to the butter and tabasco sauce. which sounds yummy!! I wonder how it would taste with a bit of blue cheese dressing on top instead of or along with the cheese.

Thanks Peeps!

There's more W-sauce than tabasco so it doesn't taste anything like buffalo steak, the tabasco is just for the heat. My son actually puts the green pepper sauce on his. You could try the blue cheese but it would change the taste completely, IMO.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Thanks Peeps!

There's more W-sauce than tabasco so it doesn't taste anything like buffalo steak, the tabasco is just for the heat. My son actually puts the green pepper sauce on his. You could try the blue cheese but it would change the taste completely, IMO.
ok i thought it was equal tabasco i read it wrong. yummy anyway!!

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Damn that looks delicious!

What would happen if you didn't slice the cube steak prior to browning?
Do they break down well in a CI skillet? I am thinking once upon a time, I used it for sloppy joes, and it came out in wonderful large chunks perfect for holding together in a sandwich.

Barb, I think the sauce used sounds the perfect combo for just the right amount of bite, given the onion that is involved.
Sounds like a zippy, sloppy sexy au jus steak sannie to me :D

homecook

I really don't know how that would work. You don't cook it for too long so maybe it wouldn't break down so much. You could still put it on a bun whole I would imagine.

It is a zippy, sloppy, sexy sammie!! Especially when you ladle some of the juice on the meat on the bun. Enjoy!!!

AllenOK

I remember hitting the website for this, what, a couple years ago? I've never made one, but it does look good.

FWIW: Cubed Steak is any tough steak, that is run through a "Cuber". Have you ever seen the plastic "roller" pizza dough dockers? Imagine a counter-top machine with two sets of rollers, more tightly packed than a pizza dough docker, and the rollers mesh. Turn the beast on, and carefully feed a steak through. Viola! Cubed steak. I used to have to do this when I worked at the steakhouse up in MI. It was a pain to assemble the beast, but it could process some steak! They also did cubed chicken breasts, which made it really fork-tender.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter

Around here, they run it through a "tenderizer", much like the old Wringer on a Washing Machine. The mandrills of the "Wringer" have little nubs, which causes the "weave" markings.........

chowhound

Crap. I had forgotten all about this sanwich and I just made chicken fried steak the other night out of a couple cube steaks. Not that I didn't like the CFS, but crap (lol).

homecook

Crap. I had forgotten all about this sanwich and I just made chicken fried steak the other night out of a couple cube steaks. Not that I didn't like the CFS, but crap (lol).

I was going to mention it but I figured you had your menu already planned out. :whistling: