A question for Vegetarians

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Well first let me make it clear I'm a omnivore personally and don't have no urge to change my habits. I'm curious though as I've seen the terms such as vegetarians, vegans etc and would like to know the differences. I really don't understand the terms used. Thanks.

PanchoHambre

Vegans eat no animal product whatsoever... no dairy no eggs, no gelatin (usually will not use any animal tested products either)

People who identify only as Vegetarians usually do eat dairy and/or eggs

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
And I've known some who also eat fish. Just not warm blooded critters.

i am not trying to start anything, but what you just said has always been on my mind about vegetarians.

what does it matter if they are warm blooded? a cold blooded animal/creature still has the same body parts, same organs, i am just confused is all...:sorry::unsure:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Anima tested products are another. I believe that you will find that the FDA does not allow cosmetics to be released without animal testing first. So they hire it done and say "they did no animal testing".

Andy C

PanchoHambre

i am not trying to start anything, but what you just said has always been on my mind about vegetarians.

what does it matter if they are warm blooded? a cold blooded animal/creature still has the same body parts, same organs, i am just confused is all...:sorry::unsure:

IMHO if you eat fish you are not strictly speaking a vegetarian not that I care.. I have seen people get all touchy about this though on both sides

Anima tested products are another. I believe that you will find that the FDA does not allow cosmetics to be released without animal testing first. So they hire it done and say "they did no animal testing".

Andy C

from the looks of em the crunchy vegan girls in my hood don't use cosmetics... or bathe much for that matter

I have alot of vegetarians in my circle... thing is they all are vegetarian/vegan for different reasons so they draw the line in different places. For some its a social/environmental choice, for some about animal rights, for others religion and others just simple diet preference.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I have alot of vegetarians in my circle... thing is they all are vegetarian/vegan for different reasons so they draw the line in different places. For some its a social/environmental choice, for some about animal rights, for others religion and others just simple diet preference.

I made the choice when I was in my mid 30s, strictly for health reasons-not all that animal rights jazz, tho I do love animals very much.:wub:

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
i am in no means trying to start a controversey here.. that being said i am still somewhat confused(not that it takes much to do that..lmao)

Mrs.Bam always tells me she is going to become a vegetarian again, then i throw a rack of babybacks on the smoker and that squashes that conversation..lmao:yum:

Calicolady

I don't know why. Give up bacon? I'd rather give you my teeth!
Well, maybe only 1/2 them.
I've been watching Gweneth Paltro with Mario touring Spain on PBS on Saturdays. She calls herself a vegetarian too. But eats all the fish she can get her hands on. I don't know if she'd eat dolphin or whale though.

PanchoHambre

The most compelling arguments I have heard in favor of Vegetarianism are environmental. While these have not compelled me to give up meat it has lead me to think about using meat more sparingly... treating it as something special to be used in moderation.

I do definitely make many meals that do not involve meat and more that stretch a small amount of meat.

I have been thinking lately about putting a bit more effort behind this way of thinking. Both for personal philosophical reasons and to see if It helps me stretch a buck and increase the healthfulness of my diet at the same time.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
The most compelling arguments I have heard in favor of Vegetarianism are environmental. While these have not compelled me to give up meat it has lead me to think about using meat more sparingly... treating it as something special to be used in moderation.

I do definitely make many meals that do not involve meat and more that stretch a small amount of meat.

I have been thinking lately about putting a bit more effort behind this way of thinking. Both for personal philosophical reasons and to see if It helps me stretch a buck and increase the healthfulness of my diet at the same time.
Me too, Pancho. We eat meat maybe 3 meals a week but we really enjoy it when we do. It's definitely more economical and I think it helps keep our cholesterol down.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I probably eat meat with almost every meal but not very much of it. Oh and I consider sea food a meat too as well as eggs, cheese etc.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Some vegans won't use white sugar either because the process in which the sugar is filtered uses animal bones. Living a vegan lifestyle can also lead to green cleaning products, natural fibers and no use of leather products or other animal products in the making of clothes. Some won't use synthetic dyes either. I know this because I have a vegan in my family and she can be difficult to shop for.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Some vegans won't use white sugar either because the process in which the sugar is filtered uses animal bones. Living a vegan lifestyle can also lead to green cleaning products, natural fibers and no use of leather products or other animal products in the making of clothes. Some won't use synthetic dyes either. I know this because I have a vegan in my family and she can be difficult to shop for.

It is funny to me that you should mention some of the vegan's rules. I used to work for a woman that wouldn't buy anything made with animal period including cosmetics (animal testing). Now that is till it came to her car and home furniture, it had to be leather, but she would give you hell for leather shoes or belts. Strange belief system to me. :dizzy:

Last edited:

FryBoy

I'm a meat eater, too, but I like some vegetarian dishes simply because they're very good. I don't think a meal has to have meat in it, although I know a couple of pseudo-macho guys who feel that way.

I consider dishes with eggs, cheese, and other dairy products to be "vegetarian," but it makes no sense to me to include fish in that category. However, I don't criticize anyone who wants to eliminate all animal products from their diet. I like some dishes that would qualify as vegan, but I'm not persuaded that eggs and so forth are evil.

What do I consider good? Check any of the several recipes I posted on this thread -- I'll bet just about anyone would agree: http://netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=83081&posted=1#post83081

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
A vegetarian will eat no flesh of another living creature. Some pin it down by saying they'll eat nothing that had a mother or drinks from it's mother.

A vegan will eat no animal products at all. If it had anything to do with a living creature they want no part of it.

Ovo lacto vegetarian will eat eggs and dairy products (cheese, butter, milk)

Lacto will eat dairy products because it's not necessary for the animal to die in order to get the dairy product.

There is also a strain of vegetarian that will eat fish...but frankly, in my opinion, those are just people who eat vegetables and fish. Most vegetarians don't care for the fish eaters calling themselves vegetarians who eat fish.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I have no problem with none meat meals but not every day. I'm pretty much a omnivore always have been. Plants are living things too unless I was misinformed in basic biology in school.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I have no problem with none meat meals but not every day. I'm pretty much a omnivore always have been. Plants are living things too unless I was misinformed in basic biology in school.

Sure, plants are living things...but you cannot actually have a relationship with a geranium. A vegetarian's argument is that the animal has feelings, feels pain, and forms social bonds.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Sure, plants are living things...but you cannot actually have a relationship with a geranium. A vegetarian's argument is that the animal has feelings, feels pain, and forms social bonds.

Yes and for centuries man kind thought the same about most animals too. I think we should get some research on plants to prove that theory. :wink:

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Nope!
No, no way!
Uh-Uh!
Forget it!

If God didn't want us eating animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat!

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter

Hey, I talk to my plants all the time. It is suppose to help them grow. (lol--they like big band era music and jazz as well)

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Besides bumble bees as well as other insects for relationships with plants don't they.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I eat a lot of things, and attempt to keep it healthy.
Mostly I follow a vegetarian diet, because I cannot live without eggs and cheese.
I hate milk, always have. ickkk!
I go vegan when I want to lose 5 or so pounds and it works quickly.
Lately I've been falling off the wagon, damn you people and your glorious recipes!
hrrrrrrmmmmmpphhhh!
PS- LOVE fish and seafood!
Had the Deluxe at Captain D's for din din.. yum!
lol