What I learned my first year gardening ...

Wart

Banned
I'm in North East Ohio, just in case anyone is curious.

Last year I made some hefty mistakes but thats Ok because I learned and the garden still paid off.

What I learned:

1) They say a minimum of 2 feet between tomato plants. What they leave out is that 2 feet would barely be enough if the plants are staked from day one and tended every day.

1A) Stake or basket/cage the plants the day they are planted. LMAO at waiting till they need staked. All I can do is, in retrospect, is wonder what the hell I was thinking.

2) Start trimming herbs as soon as they take hold in their new pot. Think Bonsai. Things like thyme need their growing directed for max output and even for ease of harvest/ stripping leaves from stem.

3) Boxwood basil for garnish and liquids where you want to remove the basil after its done its work, sweet basil for about everything else.

4) Oregano. Don't let oregano fool you. Even if it's output was disappointing last year if it survives the winter , be ready for it this year.

5) Chamomile. My God what was I thinking!!! Chamomile is one of those things needing its own patch, off in the corner of the yard, where it ccan be controlled with a weed whacker or mower. God! What was I thinking!

Chamomile is growing in every pot that was near the chamomile pot.

6) Strawberries are about as bad as Chamomile. At least strawberries spread by runners. They go in their own spot too. I have3 so many berries to transplant this year I have to give some away. And theyre so prolific I plan to use them as ground cover on a slope (with ground cloth).

7) Plenty of things survive the winter fine without care.

End of last season I looked at the garden and just figured I would start over this year.

Last year my friend told me of a substance that would kill all organic matter and in one week would go inert making it safe to plant. Problem is I didn't count on anything surviving. Between the weather which has been unusually wet, school and finals, I now have to deal with flourishing plants.

- The potted chives are getting ready to flower.

- I already addressed the chamomile ... What was I thinking!

- The catnip never seemed to stop growing even when it was covered with snow. It was doing just fine till Kozmo the Cat was left out this spring and found the pot.

I was under the impression that potted plants, when exposed to zero temps on all sides, were suppose to die. I know chamomile is from seed but everything else?

>>>>>>>>>>>

I learned a bunch more, I think.

The suns shining, the ground isn't mud, I had best get out there and get to it.

The window on getting this stuff done is closing.

Leni

I've got to get over to my community garden plot. The weeds are taking over. FYI do not plant Greek Oregano. It's as bad as the chamomile. Not only does it produce seeds like crazy, it also spreads by runners. I've got it all over my herb garden and digging it out is going to be a royal pain.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Also, unless you are making mojitos & mint juleps for the entire neighborhood daily, keep the mint confined to a pot. It will quickly take over the entire herb garden.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
heehee - very interesting observations!

if you hang around gardeners much, you'll learn the creed: "Well, _next_ year . . . ."

>>catnip and the like - the mint family
this stuff does need some kind of containment - left to its own devices, mint will just take over the world! in a pot / container works - but if it gets to the ground, it'll take root and spread like crazy.

>>strawberries
the runners are a good thing. productivity of an individual plant declines with age - so let the runners take root, then in the fall I use a heavy garden rake to yank out the oldest/biggest plants and the let youngsters thrive. I had one patch about 20x20 that I planted once, but with minimal attention thrived for 20 years - might still be going... (we moved)

>>a substance that would kill all organic matter and in one week would go inert
RoundUp / generics of same? seems more recent research has supported the "goes inert" thing but only for the active ingredient.... seems the binders/emulsifiers/whateverall else they put in the jug to help with the magic are not such good actors. many organic gardeners have put it on the no-no list.....

mulch. mulch everything - deep - smothers the weeds. some weeds do "get through" but they stand out like a sore thumb and it's really not difficult to yank them. I don't use a "lawn service" - I want the grass clippings for a nice clean garden mulch. I get the evil eye from my neighbors - you know, the ones with not a dandelion in sight . . .

Wart

Banned
FYI do not plant Greek Oregano. It's as bad as the chamomile. Not only does it produce seeds like crazy, it also spreads by runners.

I wouldn't call them runners, more like horizontal trunks with roots on one side and sprouts on the other.

Thanks for the heads up, its coming out of there and into the (new) herb garden.

Also, unless you are making mojitos & mint juleps for the entire neighborhood daily, keep the mint confined to a pot. It will quickly take over the entire herb garden.

The catnip doesn't stand a chance.

Kozmo cleaned the pot level, took stems and all. There is one tiny leaf in the dirt, don't know how he missed it.

heehee - very interesting observations!

if you hang around gardeners much, you'll learn the creed: "Well, _next_ year . . . ."

I'm in NE Ohio, the Browns, next year, :whistle:

At least the garden has a chance of being more successful. ;)

After one year I'm wishing I had started gardening years ago, but like the saying goes, the best time to plant a tree is 25 years ago, the next best time is today.

Funny how many things that saying applies to.

NE Ohio, I was out in the wild black raspberry patch which this will be my first year trying to tame, It was mid 60's and sunny, then the temp drops about 15 degrees and it starts raining , rains stopped, better get back to it.

Wild black raspberries mixed with wild roses ....

Leni

There's another creed for gardeners....plant one seed for the birds, one seed for varmits, one for bugs, and finally one for yourself. Bunnies from the wild life reserve next to us have discovered the gardens. They are taking more than their fair share.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I've got to get over to my community garden plot. The weeds are taking over. FYI do not plant Greek Oregano. It's as bad as the chamomile. Not only does it produce seeds like crazy, it also spreads by runners. I've got it all over my herb garden and digging it out is going to be a royal pain.

That's just great...guess what I planted :pat:
I guess I'd better move it to a pot before it goes crazy. Thanks for the heads up!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Excellent thread, everyone!

I LOVE reading about gardening stories and hints and tips!

Lee

Mr. Green Jeans

I use grass clippings for mulch. Spread about 3" thick and they dry down nicely. Refrain from mulching though until the soil gets warm. Applying it early in the season keeps the ground cooler longer which is not what you want for veggie growth.