retarding . . .

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
me or it?....

I like a nice white bread sandwich loaf - but the recipe makes two - and one loaf goes stale before it's finished. I suppose I could split an egg in half, but...it's a long prep&knead.

so there's this in the fridge retard the dough thing.
I'm trying it.

be careful what you wish for....

Attachments

• DSC_4655s.jpg
    DSC_4655s.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 152

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
I took the dough out this AM to bake. after six hours on the counter, the dough internal temp was 52'F

dump this idea - it's quicker to make a new batch of dough than wait for a fridged bit to warm up.

I chopped up the dough and made "rolls" - not what I would consider good dinner rolls.

total waste of good flowers.....

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm always so impressed whenever anyone bakes bread!

Lee

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
bread is a whole lot easier than most people think. unfortunately, some bakers run around using lots of French, strange terms, odd language . . .
"...using your lame, quickly slash the loaf . . ."
horse feathers. I've been using my serrated tomato knife for years - and not a single loaf has ever complained.....

flour yeast salt water. how hard can it be?
actually, you can leave out the salt....
add fats / egg / sugar / etc - these all affect the bread - but in the end, it is a very simple process.

the one trick to easy bread baking is: go by weight - get a scale - ditch the cups thing.

I'm lazy, so I have a stand mixer with a dough hook. that and a timer take care of the whole "knead it until you drop" thing.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
bread is a whole lot easier than most people think. unfortunately, some bakers run around using lots of French, strange terms, odd language . . .
"...using your lame, quickly slash the loaf . . ."
horse feathers. I've been using my serrated tomato knife for years - and not a single loaf has ever complained.....

flour yeast salt water. how hard can it be?
actually, you can leave out the salt....
add fats / egg / sugar / etc - these all affect the bread - but in the end, it is a very simple process.

the one trick to easy bread baking is: go by weight - get a scale - ditch the cups thing.

I'm lazy, so I have a stand mixer with a dough hook. that and a timer take care of the whole "knead it until you drop" thing.
Leave out the salt and your bread will lack flavor.

Retarding the dough (cold fermentation) allows for additional time for the sugars in the flour to be extracted, adding an additional layer of flavor. To really take advantage of this process, it should be refrigerated for at least 24 hours.

To get the dough closer to temperature after sitting in the fridge, try rolling out the dough on the counter, then working it to introduce the warmth from your hands. It will accelerate the warming up period. I have done this and shaped the loaves, then put them in a warm oven to get them to final rise. If you're in a hurry, this is not a process to be utilizing.

As for your loaves going stale, after cool down, I slice my bread, bag it and put it in the freezer. It will keep for at least two weeks this way. When you want bread, just put a frozen slice in the nuke for 10-12 seconds. Then you can toast it or make sandwiches with it. Me and the Mrs make our lunches the night before with frozen bread, then put them in the fridge before going to bed. It's easier to spread peanut butter and jelly on frozen bread as well. We rarely have bread at room temperature unless it's going to be consumed within 24 hours.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Here's a good sandwich loaf that takes an additional hour for the sponge. Well worth the time.

Slovenian White Bread
From the Kitchen of Joe Valencic
Makes 2 loaves

Ingredients:

.35 oz. ----- 1 package yeast (Active Dry or Instant yeast)
8 oz. -------- 1 c. lukewarm water
7 oz. -------- 1 c. white bread flour
2 (large) egg, beaten (3.45+/- oz.)
2 T. sugar

1#-9 oz. --- 5-6 c. additional white bread flour
1 oz. --------- 2 T. melted butter (original called for lard) Cool to less than 100F.
8.5 oz, ----- 1-1/4 c.+ 1T lukewarm water or milk (2% or whole milk)
.50 oz. ------- 2 t. salt

Directions:

Whisk together the first five ingredients to make a sponge. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled in size (45-60 minutes). Whisk in remaining water, butter & salt, then begin slowly adding flour to make a soft dough. Mix well and knead until smooth. (or use #2 speed on stand mixer for 7 minutes)

Shape dough into a boule (ball) and put in an oiled bowl. Cover with a tea towel and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled in size (45-60 minutes or more if cold).

Divide dough in half, shape into 2 loaves and put in greased bread pans. Cover with a tea towel and allow loaves to rise until almost double in size…about 45-60 minutes. The oven spring will complete the rise.

Brush loaves with egg wash, score the top of each loaf 1/8” deep with a sharp knife or razor blade, then bake at 400F degrees for 25-30 minutes. Remove loaves from pans immediately to a cooling rack for 90 minutes before slicing to avoid collapsing the loaf. Cooling also gelatinizes the crumb so it is not gummy.

For sandwich thins, use 1.8-2.0 oz. of dough each thin.
For hot dog buns use 3.0-3.5 oz. of dough each bun.
Loaf bread approx. 1#11 oz. of dough each loaf.