Supermarket Grocery Delivery Programs

Not sure if this is the right forum, but I'll repost elsewhere if necessary.

Has anyone here used the "Peapod" delivery system used by the "Giant/Stop&Shop/etc., etc." supermarket line?

I have elderly parents out of state who can no longer drive, & I'm concerned about them having enough groceries. My estranged brother apparently shows up once in awhile to take them shopping, but I'm not happy with that.

What I want to do is set up a Peapod account (they have a Stop & Shop right in town) wherein I send them groceries every week or so. I'll have to lie to them & say it's some sort of Xmas gift, because my dad doesn't have a computer & won't accept any sort of "charity", even if it's from his daughter. It'll be an interesting lie, but I'm up to it - lol! Am thinking of choosing things that will work with certain recipes - they love to cook! And will send them suggestions by mail ahead of time.

I know this sounds like a lot of work, but they are my parents.

cookingirl

this is a great idea, and I applaud you for caring so much about your parents....A couple of my neighbors use it. I would give it a try, if I wasn't able to get out. However, I would only buy non perishables. I really don't know if I would purchase perishables with it--you know, things with expiration dates...They used to have one at my local Stop & Shop and I watched them just throw items in the cart; and not look at the freshness of veggies, bagged lettuce, etc....
How about a local small deli/market/butcher shop which could possibly provide the rest?
You are such a caring daughter--I know what you mean--an 'early' Christmas present....:thumb:

Not sure if this is the right forum, but I'll repost elsewhere if necessary.

Has anyone here used the "Peapod" delivery system used by the "Giant/Stop&Shop/etc., etc." supermarket line?

I have elderly parents out of state who can no longer drive, & I'm concerned about them having enough groceries. My estranged brother apparently shows up once in awhile to take them shopping, but I'm not happy with that.

What I want to do is set up a Peapod account (they have a Stop & Shop right in town) wherein I send them groceries every week or so. I'll have to lie to them & say it's some sort of Xmas gift, because my dad doesn't have a computer & won't accept any sort of "charity", even if it's from his daughter. It'll be an interesting lie, but I'm up to it - lol! Am thinking of choosing things that will work with certain recipes - they love to cook! And will send them suggestions by mail ahead of time.

I know this sounds like a lot of work, but they are my parents.

I haven't heard of Peapod, but I'll check it out. I do most of my "heavy" shopping online (Vons), as they deliver, but you need a computer to place the order & have it delivered.

We also have Access Paratransit & City Ride that will take you anywhere, for a minimal amount, if you meet the criteria.

As I understand it, Meals on wheels will deliver, & one can possibly pay for the services, if doctor approved. Not quite sure, but you can do a google for their State. We also have a place called Independent Living Center, that helps with certain needs. Senior citizen centers provide many options, lunches, outings etc.

Sounds like they are not asking for help. But, there are options out there, should they need & want them - even a social worler (elder care?) to determine their needs, if necessary.

Since it's Holiday time, QVC is offering many interesting foods/dishes that just need reheating - lobster tails, seafood etc. Kansas City steaks etc offer some varied packages, as well.

Well that's just it - my parents would NEVER ask for help. I can't even begin to tell you what it took to get them to accept home housekeeping & med services. I'd rather have root canal.

And over the years I've already sent them a variety of pre-cooked gourmet meal plans from various vendors, but the few I've used have changed their programs where it's not workable in this situation. That's why I'm thinking the grocery plan would be better. The food is local, my parents are both excellent cooks, all they need is the stuff. So I could plan the groceries sent to them around stuff I know they'd cook. And do it weekly.

I know, I know - between ordering, deliver, recipes, I'll probably want to shoot myself in the head. But they're my parents, & I'm sure they wanted to shoot themselves in the head many times during my childhood - lol!

The programs I mentioned are not charity programs. When one has mobility problems, there are other sources to get them around to markets, docs etc. Like they say, you can lead a horse to water, but can't make them drink. Sounds like they are taking care of themselves, can & love to cook. But if you are concerned about them not having enough food, I would check into all the programs out there that are available.

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
How about sending them a recipe and the ingredients to make it? Maybe the delivery service would deliver the the recipe along with the food, or you could fake it in the mail. You could call it a recipe of the week plan or something.

Bigjim - THAT'S exactly what I just said!!!!! Twice already in fact. Geez - I appreciate the input, but please read the previous posts. That's really a personal bugaboo of mine - people who are so eager to have their voices be heard that they have the time to post their opinions, but no time to read the previous posts.

In closing, it's unfortunate that you are not close by to assess the situation. If you feel they may not have enough food, I would make arrangements for a social worker to come out & find out what their needs are. They may or may not have restricted diets, cholesterol issues, etc. They might be a little P.O'd, at first, but it may set your mind at ease, & open their minds to other alternatives that will address any health, mobility & food restrictions they might have.

Yes, it's sad that I'm not closer. But I'm in contact with them frequently. They're not starving, & are aware (as am I) of their dietary restrictions, & have frequent visits from home health workers. I send them gourmet food items every month - which they LOVE, but now want to up the ante to regular stuff. However, knowing my father as well as I do, it need to guise it in "gift" form, otherwise it will be a disaster.

They're not destitute, & what I'm hoping is that if they like the "gift delivery" grocery system I start, they'll agree to continue it ad infinitum with me as the medium.

homecook

Sorry, I have no experience with Peapod. I wish there would have been something like that around here when taking care of my mom and grandmother.

BC, You're last sentence in your first post says it all! I would go with your gut and do what you feel is best for them. If they can still cook then they don't seem to need any other outside services.

And sometimes a little white lie doesn't hurt. lol Good luck on what you decide. It sounds like a great idea to me.

Thanks! That's what I'm thinking. Since they don't have a computer & refuse to have one, I'm thinking I can mail them some recipes (not that they really need them, great cooks that they are) & then send them the groceries.

Yup - some work, but heck - I'm far away & they are my parents. Want to make sure they're eating well.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
How sweet BC! What a wonderful and thoughtful thing to do. I don't have any experience with them but they have been in business for a while and that in itself says something.

I think once you get it started, they will love it!

Thanks Mama!

I'm going to have to lie up the wazoo, but what the hell.

Figure I'll call them & tell them that it's a weekly gift for Xmas, & they get to choose what they want. I'll give them recipe suggestions (since they like to cook), & they can tell me what groceries they need outside of the recipe. Then I can add in stuff I think they'll need anyway & have it sent to them.

Knowing them - especially my father - like I do, this is the only way I'll be able to sneak this by them for the time being at least. If they really like it, hopefully they'll want to take it over themselves (I ain't Rockefeller - lol!). But if not, I'll just continue it myself regardless.

cookingirl

Breezy--I apologize if I offended you...peapod does seem to work for my neighbors..some elderly and some not...good luck..I understand the 'root canal' analogy. it still sounds great to me.. a lot of work for you but --we only have 1 set of parents who love us...

QuirkyCookery

I've never heard of, much less used the peapod service before.

I have some experience with other grocery delivery services before. A close friend of the family orders most of her stuff through places like Schwan's, for example, but they're really expensive. Our local grocery store (Kroger's) actually does it themselves without an outside service. They don't advertise it, but they'll do the shopping and a small fee, and deliver. We have several people in the area who can be hired to do personal shopping like that, too (my mom used to do it in addition to her housekeeping stuff on the side) and it's not very expensive. Just some other ideas in case the peapod one doesn't work out for you.

And as a side note, thank you for "I know this sounds like a lot of work, but they are my parents." You're right. They *are* your parents, and I'm happy to see you willing to take that step. The people who my mom used to do housecleaning and grocery shopping for? 2 of them had family right in the same town as them and they wouldn't help out at all. So sad. :(

"Peapod" is the delivery service started by the supermarket chain that contains "Stop & Shop", "Giant", "Martins", & probably others that I'm not aware of. It really isn't all that expensive - around $10 or so. And I just heard back from them that it would be no problem for me to order & pay for groceries here in VA & have them delivered to my parents in NY, since they have a "Stop & Shop" right in town.

We have Schwans around here, & while they also deliver some groceries, they pretty much make their money on pre-prepared food - food that's chock full of preservatives & other stuff. I know a few folks who have used them & haven't been happy, so I'm steering clear of that. Used to send my folks a monthly pre-prepared food plan, but the company went by the wayside & wasn't all that good anyway for the money.

I'm thinking that I'll start out ordering some gourmet-type stuff that looks like a gift, & then start casually calling & asking my mom what groceries they need, yadayadayadayada. It'll be like some grand spy cooking coupe - lol!!! But it really is the only way I'll be able to get away with it. They're such a pain in the a**, but I love them anyway.