Bacon Jam

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I haven't tried this yet, but the food bloggers went crazy with this one. Everything I've read has been positive, and there's a lot out there to read about this one. People are eating it on a slice of baguette, on a biscuit for breakfast, as a hamburger topping, and even by the spoonful straight from the jar :biggrin:. Sounds like kind of a strange combination with the coffee, vinegar, and mustard, but it's supposed to be da'bomb. There are lots of variations out there, but this one seemed like the simplest one.

1 lb bacon, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
4-5 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup brewed coffee
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 T balsamic vinegar
1 T grainy mustard

Method - Brown then remove bacon, leaving enough bacon drippings to saute the onion and garlic. Add the remaining ingredients and cook down to the consistency of jam. Pulse in a food processor until the desired consistency.

From what I've read, it keeps for a good while in the refrigerator.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Okay, now I have forwarded this to a couple of friends (a champion BBQ'er and a BBQ caterer) and have copied and saved it for myself!

Great one, Cooksie! Thanks!

Lee

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Okay...I'm game....I'll put this on the "to do" list for this coming week. I'll let y'all know how it turns out. Thanks Cooksie!

Cooksie

Site Supporter
It is pretty far out there, Dee, but it's supposed to be good :pig:. I haven't seen your chicken fried bacon, but I'll go look.

QSis, your friend might like the bourbon bacon jam version. And, Mama, I'm so glad you're going to test it. I'm looking forward to what you think.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I've got everything on hand. I'll probably make it tomorrow.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Well, here it is. Wasn't bad...it was actually pretty good. I made some fresh biscuits and topped it with a poached egg.

Attachments

• bacon-jam.jpg
    bacon-jam.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 156
  • bacon-jam-0.jpg
    bacon-jam-0.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 156

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Rut Roh....doesn't sound like you liked it very well. Maybe you can tweak it.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oh, COOL, Mama! I'm so glad you experimented and posted your pictures!

I might leave out a little of the sweet stuff when I make it.

Lee