Wasting food

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
There is a thread on another of Doc's Forums on this topic. I just finished a reply there and thought it might be an interesting topic here.

==========================

I do all the cooking and I do abhor waste. Until a few months ago, I had two labs. Every time I prepped veggies, they saw that the trimmings did not go to waste. I miss them for way more than that, but, throwing trimmings away just seems to be a waste.

I have tried two remedies for cooking too much. first one is to portion the leftovers out into one serving meals that can be put into the fridge if I don't feel like cooking or one of us wants a snack. I also put pieces of meat in snack bags for "Snack Meat". Better for me than other junk.

There is also cooking for four and eating it the next day.

Both work depending on what is being made.

Since I do the shopping, the first part of grocery shopping is to clean out the fridge. Anything that just laid around and spoiled, does not go on the shopping list for a few weeks or months.

Oh!!!! Things that fall off the plate - There is the five second rule in effect. Now since I don't have my two second labs.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Any thoughts about getting a kitchen-floor-cleaning puppy?

Lee

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
with just two I'm always on the size warpath as well. my biggie is to not create leftovers - so I'm always on the hunt for small packages.

our Giant got away from in house meat cutting. they used to have one lb, two lb, and then "family" packages of ground beef. now, imported from the local meat packing house,,,, the smallest is 1.3 lb. yes you know, all those dishes that use one pound of ground beef? I'm quite convinced it's an intentional act to sell more ground beef.

and that led me into the weighing of stuff. grits, oatmeal, rice, barley, etc etc - I've got notes on grams of (x) + grams of water so I can make what we eat and not fill up the fridge with leftover 'stuff'

DW found a 'world's best pasta salad' recipe - starts off with one pound of macaroni. oh yeah, after a week some of that hit the dumpster . . .

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i'll 'oft freeze excess items (veggie peels & onion scraps to use in stock, as well as meat trimmings;, or make a pot of soup & freeze most of that-- or, give to pals & old folks that 'er nearby; many appreciate a food not made via their freezer/microwave~~ & yinz those that know me know my disdain 4 microwaves~~
make food, dine well, then donate, i say~~ ppl, they they seem to appreciate when you give them stuff besides their usual items--

Shermie

Site Supporter
One of my worst pet peeves is when I cook for someone as well as for myself, that they discover that they don't like or want what I've cooked!

Especially after telling me that they wanted it!! To me, THAT is also a waste of food. Because I could've cooked less! :censored: