Hungarian Mushroom Soup

Johnny West

I just went to the commissary and didn't even begin to think about getting the ingredients for this soup. T-Boy's will have a better selection of wild mushrooms anyway.

This is an All-Recipies recipe tweaked by a young man named Kevin Lynch. I'd probably tweak it a bit myself.

Hungarian Mushroom Soup

Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 30 minutes Total Time: 45 minutes Servings: 4

A Hungarian style mushroom soup seasoned with paprika, dill and sour cream.

Ingredients-:

2 tablespoons butter
1 onion, diced
1 pound mushrooms, sliced
1/4 cup flour (rice flour for gluten free)
1 tablespoon paprika
4 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth or chicken stock
2 teaspoons dried dill
1 tablespoon soy sauce (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup sour cream
1 splash lemon juice
1 handful fresh dill, chopped (optional)

Directions-:

Melt the butter in a large sauce pan over medium heat, add the onions and mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms have released their liquids and it has evaporated, about 10-15 minutes.
Mix in the flour and paprika and let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
Add the broth, dill, soy sauce, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes
Season with salt, pepper mix in the sour cream, lemon juice and dill and remove from heat.

Slow Cooker: Implement step 1 & 2, place everything except the sour cream, lemon and dill in the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-10 hours or high for 2-4 hours before adding the sour cream, lemon and dill.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
mmmm this sounds right up my alley!

Not quite like the dried mushroom soup my Polish aunts made, but mushrooms, dill and sour cream are verrrrrry familiar!

Thanks, Johnny!

Lee

Johnny West

I'll make this for tonight and give a report later.
I have dried mushrooms but there are plenty of
good fresh ones at the market. Now I wish I'd of
cut and dried the hen of the woods I found in
Edgartown.

Johnny West

OK, the soup tasted great but the kids were late getting home and I put the soup on the hob and it cooled down too much. when i added the sour cream I put it in in a big blob. It never smoothed out right and beaded up. I should have whipped my cream a bit and then added it to to the soup while piping hot. I was so disappointed in it's look I didn't take a picture. I did get a picture before I added the sour cream.

IMG_7298.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Johnny West

The soup was a double batch and will have some for tonight's dinner, as well. I'll get a plate picture then. I put 4 tsp of dried dill so that's all the green. I had no fresh to add but would like to next time. Lee mentioned dried mushroom sould and will try dried next time. Chantrells are on and should do a golden soup of some kind. That is all.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
I'm a real big mushroom fan - what I have 'learned' through experience:

if you want a jummy mushroom flavor, reconstitute dried mushrooms - 10-15 minute simmer in water, cool - strain/squeeze out mushroom solids - reduce liquid as required by recipe....

for example on mushroom gravy - I reconstitute dried, remove & discard ex-dried mushroom solids, reduce the liquor by 25-30%, make gravy using the reduced liquor (typically expanding a dark roux) then add sliced/chopped fresh mushrooms for texture and pretty.

I've found it very difficult to get a deep mushroom flavor out of fresh mushrooms.
fwiw.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Johnny, the photo of your pre-sour cream soup looks terrific!

Chowderman, as I said before, my Polish relatives used only dried wild mushrooms (that we all picked) in their mushroom borscht.

But I use a mixture of dried and fresh in my Hot and Sour soup (recently, I've omitted the can of straw mushrooms from that soup). I like the combination of textures.

I'm about due for another batch of Hot and Sour soup. This is mine, and Cooksie makes one very similar which she has posted on NCT as well.
http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17715&highlight=sour+soup

Johnny, a good meal for your son, if you just use the tofu instead of pork. Maybe fake eggs?

Lee

Johnny West

He likes tofu but don't think the pork flavours will come through. lol he eats eggs and milk products (without rennet) and is not a vegan.

Lee-: I'd be interested in your recipe for mushroom borscht. I've got a huge amount of beets, too, and will make one one batch of pickled beets but a soup would be good, too.