Hamburger Stew on a budget

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
ok i am on a verrrrrrrrry tight budget... so every coin counts..notice i said coin and not dollar..lol

so this meal cost me about $6 not including the stuff i had on hand...we will get a couple of meals from this.

2lbs ground beef on sale $3.18
1 - 28oz can of whole tomatoes - $.99
1 - 1lb bag frozen mixed vegetables - $.99
5 cloves garlic - minced
1 small onion - chopped
2 large potatoes - large pieces
1 cup ketchup(had to buy this $.89)
1/2 bottle A1 steak sauce
spices of your choice - i used some cajun and montreal seasoning as well as black pepper

Preheat the slowcooker...brown your beef(i add my spices here) add onions and at the end of cooking time, add garlic..drain excess grease off.

to the slow cooker, add your tomatoes and crush them...with that add equal amount of water,ketchup and steak sauce.

cook on high until potatoes are soft...or cook on medium until potatoes are cooked..

camera takes whatever color pictures it wants..have a red slow cooker so that doesnt help with the shading..lol

2iqfo1w.jpg

263zyte.jpg

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
That looks great!

it really is...i have been eating this dish all of my life

mom was a single mom with 3 growing boys...when she did make this, she made it in a big turkey roaster or pan...when it was just about done, she would put a layer of baking powder biscuits on top of it and bake it further until the biscuits were golden brown..

it's still one of my favorite meals done that way.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That looks like a perfect winter meal!

Copied and saved!

Lee

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
looks good! my dad made burger stew once & it went over well w/ us.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I made a variation of this, this week.

My roommate, who almost never eats vegetables, LOVED it! She even took some for lunch today. She added elbow macaroni to hers.

I just sprinkled a blend of Mexican cheeses on top of mine.

I used a can of chicken broth, no A-1, no ketchup. So mine was a lot less soup-y than Bam's.

I also added more carrots and celery, since I had a lot of them.

This is really good and versatile, and can be adapted to whatever you have and like!

Lee

Attachments

• Hamburger stew.JPG
    Hamburger stew.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 1,596

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
yah this is a very adaptable recipe..whatever you have on hand... mind ends up less soup.y as well... usually the next day it ends up looking like yours Lee..lol