Mr. Green Jeans

1# shredded cabbage
1 red bell pepper chopped
2 pieces 1/2" square fresh ginger minced
4 T sugar
4 T white vinegar
2 T sesame or light olive oil
1/2 t (or more) cayenne pepper flakes.

Combine cabbage, pepper, ginger, vinegar and sugar. In a small pan over medium heat warm oil and flakes until the flakes dance in the oil for just about 1 minute. Be careful not to burn the pepper flakes. Allow to cool and add to cabbage. Best if made a day ahead.
Bok choi or Napa cabbage can also be used but are best shredded then salted with sea salt and allowed to stand for about 2 hours. Rinse, drain then follow recipe.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Whenever you put Spicy Szechuan in the name I just have to try it. :D

Thanks Mr. Green Jeans!!!!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Mr. GJ, why would you salt the shredded Napa or bok choy and let it sit? Is it why people do the same to sliced eggplant - to reduce any (perceived) bitterness?

Lee

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
Wish i had seen this earlier; I made a szechuan chicken for dinner and thought it could use extra vegetables ...........

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Mr. GJ, why would you salt the shredded Napa or bok choy and let it sit? Is it why people do the same to sliced eggplant - to reduce any (perceived) bitterness?

Lee

Lee, it draws out the excess water. Have you ever noticed that coleslaw gets a little watery after it sits a while? And real watery if you store the leftovers in the fridge for a day or two? This step helps prevent that.

High Cheese

Saucier
Whenever you put Spicy Szechuan in the name I just have to try it. :D

Thanks Mr. Green Jeans!!!!

You should order up some Szechuan peppercorns then. They have a great aroma and make your tongue feel like there's a 9 volt battery on it, got a bag of them cheap from Penzys.

I would only use the cayenne as a substitute.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Lee, it draws out the excess water. Have you ever noticed that coleslaw gets a little watery after it sits a while? And real watery if you store the leftovers in the fridge for a day or two? This step helps prevent that.

A-HA! Yes, my leftover cole slaw certainly DOES get watery and I hate that!

Why hasn't anyone ever told me about this BEFORE???

Thank you, Mr. GreenJeans and SilverSage!!! :clap:

Lee

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Just make sure you rinse it well, or it will be way too salty.

And drain/dry it well or you'll create a new water problem. I either use my salad spinner or blot it in paper towels.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Just make sure you rinse it well, or it will be way too salty.

And drain/dry it well or you'll create a new water problem. I either use my salad spinner or blot it in paper towels.

Yet ANOTHER excellent tip, SS!!

Well, you have earned your moderator pay today, so you may take the rest of the day off. (but please don't!)

Thanks, again!
:respect:

Lee