Duck Season is coming

RNE228

Duck season is coming... Anyone have recipes for wild duck?

We have done ok cooking them in the oven, in a clay pot, with red wine. Last season only made it out a couple times; came home with Mallards and Gadwall.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Here is one i picked up a while back. I'm glad you asked cause you reminded me I had this one. I have not tried it but intend to this fall. It is one of the famous chefs recipe ....maybe Emeril but I'm not sure.

Ingredients

* 3 oranges
* 2 lemons
* 3 tablespoons coarsely-cracked black pepper
* 2 tablespoons salt
* 5 lbs duck, whole

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Zest oranges and lemons and chop zest finely.
  3. Squeeze juice from oranges and lemons.
  4. In a small bowl combine zest, juice, pepper and salt.
  5. Rub duck, inside and out, with all of the citrus-pepper mixture.
  6. In a roasting pan set duck on a vertical roaster and cook about 2 1/2 hours, or until well-browned and crispy.
  7. Let rest, loosely covered with foil, 10 minutes before carving.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Here's one I found on a sporting forum:

8 deboned duck breast fillets (one breast has two fillets)
1 quart milk
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1/2 cup soy sauce
16 slices bacon
16 pickled cherry peppers or jalapeno peppers for more spice.
1 small pack of cream cheese

Cut each duck breast filet in half and cut a cavity in the center of each piece. Mix milk, garlic powder, onion powder, and soy sauce in a bowl and marinade breast pieces overnight.

Remove duck breast pieces from marinade and pat dry with a clean towel.

Cut the stems off the peppers and remove the seeds, then stuff the peppers with cream cheese. Place a cheese stuffed pepper in the cavity of each duck piece and wrap around the breast piece covering the opening of the cavity to keep the pepper and cheese inside the meat and then secure the bacon with a toothpick or baking string. Dust with Cajunland Cajun Seasoning, McCormick Season All or Old Bay Seasoning. Place each piece on the grill over medium high heat. When the bacon is cooked the duck breast meat will be cooked to a perfect rare / medium rare. This is perfect.

Watch the bacon closely. When it is done to crispy, but not burnt, the duck is done. Burn the bacon and the duck will be tough. You want the breast a good rare. If you can't eat pink meat, this recipe is not for you. If you do, you'll replace beef in your diet with this age old Cajun French treat.

Serve with grilled asparagus and/or grilled seasoned mushrooms and a serving of crispy buttered garlic bread
--------------------------------------------------------------------

It is really important to not overcook.

A lot of the gaminess seems to come from the blood. drain and wash with cold water before cooking or freezing.

Jim

RNE228

Both recipes sound good! Season starts mid October out here. Not sure how it will go, since all the duck ponds are dry, but...