Seared & pressure cooked pork ribs

chowhound

I know some of you have seen this, but you're gonna see it again. So open you eyes! :shock:
:lol: oh I love the smilies here...

When I got my pressure cooker, I was looking for a way to give the meat a little grilled flavor/look. It was already moist and tasted good, but I might as well have been using a crock pot, so I came up with searing the meat first.

Some country style pork ribs seasoned. In this case, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, a little cumin on one side and a little chili powder on the other.
I put some potatoes and carrots in the PC in a little chicken stock. I put a little S & P on them, too.
The country ribs getting seared. I'm looking for grill marks and a little texture to the outside of the meat. this takes about 3-4 minutes/side on my grill.
Into the pot. It's imperative that they rest on top of the veggies and the cooking liquid doesn't touch them. It will rise anyway. Otherwise skip this step and put them in the slow cooker for four hours to turn to mush :tongue: The electric pressure cooker I use has a "stew" setting and after coming up to pressure this step takes 30 minutes.
Ready to plate.
On the plate.

So in under an hour, you have some country style ribs that taste like they were cooked much longer and have a nice look to them (at least I think).

Attachments

• 1country ribs 1-25.jpg
    1country ribs 1-25.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 335
  • 2country ribs 1-25.jpg
    2country ribs 1-25.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 327
  • 3country ribs 1-25.jpg
    3country ribs 1-25.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 334
  • 4country ribs 1-25.jpg
    4country ribs 1-25.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 330
  • 5country ribs 1-25.jpg
    5country ribs 1-25.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 673
  • 6country ribs 1-25.jpg
    6country ribs 1-25.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 325

chowhound

OMG........how can I be hungry again. I'll be there tomorrow for some leftovers!

Barb

Depending on what time you get here, you might be eating leftover ribs and veggies, or you might be eating pork & veggie barley soup :wink:

Thanks Mav. If there's one reason I like having a PC, this is it.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I don't remember seeing them before, but they look incredible!

Lee

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Yummo, Fred! I'll trade you some of my piggies in the blanket for some of your piggies on the spuds.:lol:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Man that looks good but I don't own a pressure cooker. Well there goes another bit of money.

chowhound

Thanks Lee.
Throw in a loaf of crusty bread and they're yours Joe! Thanks.
Thanks JoeC. I have an electric one, so cooking in it is pretty much a no brainer with the settings and automatic shutoff. It'll double as a slow cooker.

PanchoHambre

hmm I have been trying to convince myself that a pressure cooker was not necessary.... argument lost... crap I am totally out of room!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I'm with you Pancho I have little room left for anything in my kitchen. My wife has been wanting since ours died over 30 years ago. I got her a slow cooker instead but the new ones aren't like the ones 30 years ago as they where dangerous in some cases.

PanchoHambre

I'm with you Pancho I have little room left for anything in my kitchen. My wife has been wanting since ours died over 30 years ago. I got her a slow cooker instead but the new ones aren't like the ones 30 years ago as they where dangerous in some cases.

Yeah I think this is once case where I won't go vintage... usually I am of the older is better way of thinking when it comes to cooking tools..

I have no space and am soon to have no kitchen.... maybe one of these electric jobs would come in handy during the construction

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Well needless to say this thread caused me to buy a pressure cooker and I've made this dish. Excellent about sums up the results.:respect:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
The only thing I did different was I pan seared the ribs as at the time it was too cold to grille them.

chowhound

The only thing I did different was I pan seared the ribs as at the time it was too cold to grille them.

That's a sign that you're not standing close enough to the grill, unless of course you were worried about your drink getting warm :lol:

You've given me a thought. I think next time I make these I'm going to load them up with cajun seasoning and blacken them in a skillet for their sear. Boy I'll bet that would taste good. I might need to come up with different veggies though, but something that can withstand the pressure cooking time. Hmmm, what goes with cajun....

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Of course their is the trilogy of onion, bell pepper and celery. To that perhaps some okra, but the potatoes and carrots worked fine for me. I don't see any problem with using Cajun seasoning on the ribs as I use had some cayenne pepper, white pepper and I added a few fresh cloves of garlic that I roasted to the pressure cooker. I used cumin also as well as some smoke paprika (hot stuff).

chowhound

I was thinking along the lines of something bite size to pick up the juice from the seasoned meat, but I just don't think potatoes and carrots when I think cajun. Large pieces of onion might fall apart, but the green pepper and celery would work. I never had okra so can't weigh in..... I wonder if brussel sprouts would go.... one way to find out.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Here’s my rendition of Chow’s recipe. I added potatoes, baby carrots, 2 pieces of corn on the cob, and fresh sliced mushrooms (white) to the Pressure Cooker, along with 3/4 cup of Lemon Herb Chicken Stock.

Seasoned and seared the country ribs. Then into the PC they went. Brought to pressure, then cooked for 30 minutes. Let cool and serve.

Awesome! Thanks for the recipe Chow! We loved it and will be doing it again!

Step_1-38.jpg

Step_2-38.jpg

Step_3-32.jpg

Step_4-28.jpg

Step_5-22.jpg