A potato ricer ?

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
I saw on American's Test Kitchen the science behind and the tools for great mashed potatoes. I threw mine out years ago as it was too much trouble to clean.

I don't make great mashed potatoes, actually...and am wondering if I should buy another ricer and try it.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
I started using a ricer a few years ago and will not go back to a potato masher.

chowhound

I've seen a lot of folks talk about the need for a potato ricer, but I have never needed one for making mashed potatoes, and they I make regularly. It takes a bit of "effort" though. If my arm or technique wasn't up to the task I might consider a ricer.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
My mom use to make whipped potatoes and use a hand mixer when she wasn't up to hand mashing.

I just hate lumps!

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
i recommend a ricer when making "smashed" potatos or using it for gnocchi.

your potatos dont get that "gummy" texture.

The potato ricer is primarily used to make pureed potatoes, not mashed potatoes, and is ideal because the ricing action doesn't break up the potato's starch compounds as much as mashing does.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
i recommend a ricer when making "smashed" potatos or using it for gnocchi.

your potatos dont get that "gummy" texture.

The potato ricer is primarily used to make pureed potatoes, not mashed potatoes, and is ideal because the ricing action doesn't break up the potato's starch compounds as much as mashing does.

Gnocchi! That's why I'm in the market for a ricer now!

homecook

I've never seen the need for a ricer in making mashed potatoes, maybe gnocchi, yes.
I still use my mom's potato masher that she got over 50 years ago. I've gone through about 3 newer ones (they always break) and always go back to my moms'. I'm not crazy about lumps either and with the masher I don't have any.
My sil used to make her mashed with a mixer and they looked and tasted like glue! Maybe it was the potatoes she used.

Barb

chowhound

I've never seen the need for a ricer in making mashed potatoes, maybe gnocchi, yes.
I still use my mom's potato masher that she got over 50 years ago. I've gone through about 3 newer ones (they always break) and always go back to my moms'. I'm not crazy about lumps either and with the masher I don't have any.
My sil used to make her mashed with a mixer and they looked and tasted like glue! Maybe it was the potatoes she used.

Barb

Yep! Same here, Barb.
While my masher is a TFal one with holes, I still have my old hand-me-down wire one. I never had a lump when I mashed, nor would I tolerate one even for myself. I don't even like "smashed" potaotes.
And when my sister used to make the mashed taters at family functions, she always used a hand mixer. What a gluey mess, but they were mashed potaoes nonetheless, so I ate 'em.

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
I have one of these guys.... really like it. Got it from Williams Sonoma (one of the rare things I've purchased there). Only negative is that it's a pain to store. No holes in the handles for hanging, and takes a lot of drawer space.

img99l.jpg

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
i have one just like this one... got it at second hand store with a matching garlic press for $3 for both

as for a regular potato masher, i use an old one of my moms, yes a ricer is a little more work to make mashed potatos but there is a difference in the texture,consistency when you use one

a-mashed-15.jpg

Last edited:

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
No, you can honestly make good whipped potatoes without them becoming a gluey mess. I imagine that too much liquid is being added or the extra liquid is not being let to cook out.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I have one of these guys.... really like it. Got it from Williams Sonoma (one of the rare things I've purchased there). Only negative is that it's a pain to store. No holes in the handles for hanging, and takes a lot of drawer space.

img99l.jpg

Got one of these??? :yum:

sni0ef.jpg

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I still use a hand masher. You can actually see it in my Twice Baked Potato thread from where I mashed the potato flesh for the stuffing. A little bit of elbow grease required, but I never get lumpy potatoes.

It's just like this one.

2nukmcy.jpg

Last edited:

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
When I make mashed potatoes I use red ones and leave the skin on. They come out slightly lumpy but that is what I am aiming for.
For smooth whipped potatoes I use the hand mixer.
I now have a KA food processor, but have not yet tried it out for potatoes even though it has an attachment for this.

leolady

It is like a ricer or strainer that fits into the bowl of a Kitchenaid Classic/K4B/K45/K4SS or a Kitchenaid Model G/Hobart N50/K5A/KSS/Kitchenaid Commercial mixers.

You put the wood/or porcelain beater attachment on the mixer, put the food to be processed in the strainer/ricer and turn on the mixer. It will strain/rice the food into the bowl.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
No, you can honestly make good whipped potatoes without them becoming a gluey mess. I imagine that too much liquid is being added or the extra liquid is not being let to cook out.

i know you can make great whipped potatoes without them being a gluey mess...lol:wink:

i was just saying that there is a consistencey difference when you whip a potato or if you put it through a potato ricer. just try it sometime making "mashed" potatoes out of ricer and see if you can tell a difference.

as far a mashed potatoes go though, i like mine a little lumpy with the skins on and you just cannot get that doing it in a ricer

and you cannot make good gnocchi without using a ricer ask any good italian good and they will tell you that..lmao:yum:

homecook

I still use a hand masher. You can actually see it in my Twice Baked Potato thread from where I mashed the potato flesh for the stuffing. A little bit of elbow grease required, but I never get lumpy potatoes.

It's just like this one.

2nukmcy.jpg

For some reason I can't use this kind. Mine is round on the bottom with a bunch of holes. The hot boiled potatoes go right through the holes similar to a ricer I guess. Never any lumps! You do have to use some elbow grease, but like my dad would tell my mom, "Shake that ass!!" :yum: So that's what I do.......

Barb