Sausage Season

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Anyone else gearing up to make homemade sausages?? I'm going to make some Italian mild in casings and in bulk to freeze, and 25# of dried Italian Sopressata. The weather is perfect for hanging sausages. I just sent a text to my friend to see if we can get a joint order for our dextrose powder, Prague powder and casings. I have regular casings in teh freezer, but I need hog middles for the SuperSot. How about you, Jimmy? Making any SuperSot???

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Where do you get your supplies, Joe? Allied Kenco?

Lee

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
The Sopresatta is officially ready. I vacuum sealed all of them last night, and now have a one-year supply in the freezer. The sausages lost 57% +/- of their hanging weight in seven weeks.

IMG_1182.jpg

IMG_1185.jpg

DroedSopressata022513_zps908bf979.jpg

DriedSopressata022513-1_zpse4742099.jpg

Now it's time to make some fresh Italian sweet sausage for the freezer. I'll post that when I do it. We're moving DD into her apartment this weekend, so it will be at least another week before we do it.

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
Anyone else gearing up to make homemade sausages?? I'm going to make some Italian mild in casings and in bulk to freeze, and 25# of dried Italian Sopressata. The weather is perfect for hanging sausages. I just sent a text to my friend to see if we can get a joint order for our dextrose powder, Prague powder and casings. I have regular casings in teh freezer, but I need hog middles for the SuperSot. How about you, Jimmy? Making any SuperSot???
Joe, do you have any idea what happened to Rytek Kutas? When I was making sausage I got all my supplies from him, but I no longer see the company listed.

His book is still one of the best.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
No I do not. I get all my supplies locally, as we have quite a diverse Eastern European community here in NE Ohio.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Joe, do you have any idea what happened to Rytek Kutas? When I was making sausage I got all my supplies from him, but I no longer see the company listed.

His book is still one of the best.

I have Rytek's book, too, and I agree that it's a fantastic book for sausage-makers!

I always ordered my sausage supplies from Allied Kenco, Jim.

Lee

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
It's that time of the year again to hang your dried style sausages. Mixed up the Sopressata last night and let it sit overnight to meld the flavors. Then today a ham radio friend came by after we went to lunch at the Chinese buffet, and helped out stuffing the sausage. This is HIM, not me. Last year I made 15 pounds, and that was too much. So this year I cut back and this batch was just 9#.
Attached Images
attachment.php
attachment.php

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Ooooo, baby! Wish I had 9 pounds of sopressetta!

Beautiful, Joe!

Lee

Embryodad

No Joe... Not sopressata this year. I get mine from Pennsylvania made by Murazzi Provisions.

I will make Hot Sausage soon. This way we will have it frozen for the spring and summer BBQ's .
I vacuum seal the links in bags and they last a little longer without the casings thinning out due to the salt. I don't use nitrates to preserve, and only Salt.
I like to trim and grind the pork butts myself; so I can use a coarse mix.
Tina has Butcher Friends to get the good butts from, and the casings packed fresh in salt.
It's time too, because I am clear out of Italian Sausage.
Got Tons of Kielbasa though! As a matter of fact, Tomorrow would be a great Kielbasa Day for supper.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Just pulled the 2014 batch from the attic today. They lost about 50% of their weight since January 17th, and the flavor is very nice. I'll be vacuum sealing the rest of them tomorrow for long term storage.

Attachments

• Droed Sopressata 031814.jpg
    Droed Sopressata 031814.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 348

Embryodad

Just pulled the 2014 batch from the attic today. They lost about 50% of their weight since January 17th, and the flavor is very nice. I'll be vacuum sealing the rest of them tomorrow for long term storage.
Wow!.....they look so nice. lean too!

ummmmmmm!

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Yeah, Jimmy. They are fairly lean and quite tasty. Just had a little pile of thin slices along with some White Cheddar Cheeze-Itz.

Embryodad

Yeah, Jimmy. They are fairly lean and quite tasty. Just had a little pile of thin slices along with some White Cheddar Cheeze-Itz.

Yeah Joe. Nice consistency....little fat, and the peppercorns is what makes it.
When we made it...my grandparents would have the sweet paprika shipped from Catanzaro italia special Just to make the sausage and dried sopressata to color it. I used to watch while they would send shoes and American stuff to the Brother over there, and they would sew the outside of the box with heavy thread and old sheets or t shirts.
I asked gram, why do you have to sew material over the box?
She said, There is Americam Money in the shoes, and that way, the shipper and Italian customs won't bother to tear open the box through the cloth. If they did, my Grandfathers Brother would know it was tampered with.
Sounded like a screwy idea to me. Haaaaaaaa

I gotta get around to making sausage, but Tina has been buying it from Catalano Importing and it is great sausage Calabrese style, and hot!
:bbq:Mangia

Shermie

Site Supporter
It's that time of the year again to hang your dried style sausages. Mixed up the Sopressata last night and let it sit overnight to meld the flavors. Then today a ham radio friend came by after we went to lunch at the Chinese buffet, and helped out stuffing the sausage. This is HIM, not me. Last year I made 15 pounds, and that was too much. So this year I cut back and this batch was just 9#.
Attached Images
attachment.php
attachment.php

Love that grinder, also!!

Must be a commercial or industrial-type one!! :eating2:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Not commercial. Got it from here. Only $99

Thanks.

Here's mine - a Waring food grinder. It ,also, pretty much came with supplied accessories like the sausage stuffer & wrench for loosening and tightening the collar.

Got it from Cooking.com. Had it for several years now. Paid about $89 for it. :eating2:

Attachments

• Waring Food Grinder.jpg
    Waring Food Grinder.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 171