Did anyone ever smoke

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Either a flank steak or a skirt steak?

If you did, what make with it and hos did you server it?

TIA

Andy

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I've thought about it but being a steaks it would take a very short time even at lower heats. But to be honest I would like to see what others say that maybe have tried it myself.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I haven't done it either. Both cuts can be tough, so the idea is fast cooks on the grill and sliced aginst the grain to make it mock-tender.

Still, smoking them is a cool idea. I recently smoked a lamb steak, and it was incredibly tender....more so than grilling has ever done that cut! So I may be trying a flank or skirt this weekend just to see and so I can report back.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've never tried it either, Andy, but would be interested to hear how it turns out, if you do.

I think it would make a nice sandwich, maybe with BBQ sauce or an au jus dipping sauce.

Sides could be regular picnic fare: potato or macaroni salad, 3 Bean Salad, deviled eggs, tomato/basil/onion salad ..... well, you get the idea. :)

Lee

Love2"Q"

you could do a reverse sear on it ...
smoke until it reaches 100-110 then put it on a
hot fire to finish ..

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I've never tried it either, Andy, but would be interested to hear how it turns out, if you do.

I think it would make a nice sandwich, maybe with BBQ sauce or an au jus dipping sauce.

Sides could be regular picnic fare: potato or macaroni salad, 3 Bean Salad, deviled eggs, tomato/basil/onion salad ..... well, you get the idea. :)

Lee

You are ON!!! What time are you serving cause I'm so there!!! :clap::lol:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I've never made one, but, how about some variation of a cuban sandwich or smoked fajitas?

The reverse sear is interesting.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I've never made one, but, how about some variation of a cuban sandwich or smoked fajitas?

The reverse sear is interesting.

Are you planning to slice it before putting it on the sammy? Even smoked low, it will be ready in about 1 hour or so for medium. Still a chance to be chewy if left whole. Experimentation is required here! :biggrin:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I wish I had a good plan Keltin. I am having company and it is not a big or formal affair, I want to smoke something, I was hoping for something different.

I agree / understand that a flank steak or skirt, probably is not a good match for a smoker.

I will have to ponder it.

The person comming has made the comment that I always cook the same thing and I am looking for different.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
The person comming has made the comment that I always cook the same thing and I am looking for different.
That's the sign of a good cook, Andy! My family (and friends) are scared when I say I'm going to try something different!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I wish I had a good plan Keltin. I am having company and it is not a big or formal affair, I want to smoke something, I was hoping for something different.
I agree / understand that a flank steak or skirt, probably is not a good match for a smoker.

I will have to ponder it.

:w00t:

Uh, well, I’d say………here: 1-800-PizzaHut!

Good Lord. How can anyone comment (complain) about good cooking? Especially since it’s apparently free to them?

If you want something really different, I can vouch for this. Get some Lamb Steaks.

These will be Shoulder Chops, and are fairly inexpensive. Smoke them for 1 to 1 hour and 15 minutes. Take them off and foil. Serve with a Merlot and Mushroom sauce. Easy……Mushrooms in the pan (with butter) covered over medium heat till the moistures is sapped from them. Add a good bit of wine (about 1 cup), and cook and stir uncovered till the wine reduces a bit. Spoon the wine and shrooms over the Lambs steaks and serve with baby roasted potatoes and corn. You can grill both of those veggies so nearly all can be done outdoors….and even do the wine and shrooms if you have a side burner.

I KNOW that Lamb steaks (Shoulder chops) are VERY tender when smoked for 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes. If your guest can tolerate the lamb, then do it. They will definitely not complain about the same ole- same ole again.

And Lamb is fairly cheap! Cheaper than beef on most cuts.

Here’s my smoked lamb. It ran 1 hour and about 20 minutes at 250. You’ll want to pull it a bit earlier if you want medium as this one was well done.

And Lamb tolerates smoke well, so go HEAVY on smoke if you like.

As for price, you can get two shoulder steaks (2 servings) for about 3 bucks. So the meat comes to about 1.50 per person.

Step_4-33.jpg

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
The lamb looks really great. I will check. If not I'm havin it another time for me. Thank You

High Cheese

Saucier
No prob. I'm a fan of mesquite so the strong flavor really flavors the meat nicely. I've done skirts before first marinating them in red wine, garlic, salt/pepper, thyme...(thinking)...I'm sure there was other stuff in there. Anyway, marinate for a few hours, prep the grill like I did with the chunks of mesquite, and grill the steak. No need to oil the steak because it's fatty enough. Baste with the marinade after you turn the meat once. Skirt is very user friendly with a huuuuge window of doneness.