Fajita Paninis with Chipotle Mayonnaise

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
2 large bonless, skinless chicken breasts -- sliced into 1/4-inch wide strips (can also use top round sirloin)
4 cloves garlic -- minced
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 medium onion -- halved and thinly sliced
1 yelllow bell pepper -- seeds and stem removed and sliced into 1/4-inch wide strips
1 red bell pepper -- seeds and stem removed and sliced into 1/4-inch wide strips
salt and black pepper
enough baguette or panini bread for 4 sandwiches -- cut in 1/2 lengthwise
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
4 ounces Pepper Jack, Monterey Jack and/or Cheddar cheese, shredded
1 mediium tomato, seeded and diced
8 Fresh Cilantro Sprigs

**** Chipotle Mayonnaise ******
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 chipotle pepper in adobo -- seeds removed and roughly chopped
2 teaspoons adobo sauce
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon dried crushed oregano

Place the chicken strips, garlic, salt, pepper, lemon juice, and cumin in a plastic zip-top bag or container and marinate at room temperature at least 30 minutes or in frig overnight. (Hint: if you first freeze the chicken breasts for an hour or so they'll be firmer and easier to slice into strips.)

for mayo: either blend or stir the ingredients together until smooth. chill until ready to use.

Cook chicken in two batches so as not to overcrowd pan. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add 1/2 the onions and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Add 1/2 the reserved chicken and 1/2 the bell peppers and cook, stirring 2 minutes. Season with salt and the pepper, remove from the heat and set aside. Repeat with other 1/2 recipe. Hold until cooled.

Heat a panini press or grill pan over high heat. Brush oil over the top and bottom of the bread (not inside). inside top half coat each with one half with nice layer of chipotle mayo and scatter some of the tomatoes and two sprigs of cilantro. On bottom half of each, sprinkle a layer of cheese, then stack some fajitas. Put the two halves together.

When the panini press or grill pan is hot, place the paninis onto the hot surface and cook 1 to 2 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the sandwich is golden brown. If using a grill pan, place the sandwich onto the hot surface, place a skillet on top of the sandwich and firmly press down on the skillet to flatten the sandwich. Turn the panini over and repeat the process for another 1 to 2 minutes. Remove, slice in half and serve.

GrantsKat

This just may be dinner for tonight, I took out some chicken breasts to defrost & was wondering what to do with them! I have everything but the adobo sauce and chipotles, which I can easily get!
Thanks for the recipe!! ; ) YUM

AllenOK

Kathe, just a word of caution. Those Chipotles can be potent! Heck, even the sauce they're packed in can bite back.

Bam, my heat tolerance needs a booster shot. How 'bout a double order?

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Kathe, just a word of caution. Those Chipotles can be potent! Heck, even the sauce they're packed in can bite back.

i agree they can be potent, i use them when i make taco's al pastor..gives a nice heat but not too much

for my tastes, i actually use about 3 of the peppers in this recipe but that is just me..lol

GrantsKat

Thanks Allen, I LOVE spicy, hot food, but being preggo now, it gives me terrible heartburn:neutral: so maybe I'll start with half a pepper & see how well I tolerate it!